The online racing simulator
Help bringing my lap times down(replay included)
Similar to the thread a few posts down, I thought I would post up a replay for you guys to take a gander at.

I have started playing a lot of Blackwood GTi on various servers, and am really struggling to get below 1:36's.

In the replay below, you can see on Lap 2 1:35.88, this is about the very best I can do, my PB is about 1:35.5 but as you can see by the last 2 laps I am averaging 1:36, and sometimes I can barely manage a 1:37 while racing. I can just about get a 30.5 first split, about 1/2second off the pace of other average players, but I am losing masses of time in sector 2, I have only ever once got a 1:07, most the time I am very lucky if I get low 1:08's. I am definitely losing over a second in turns 3 and 4, and I can't work out why.

I have used various setups, all found here on other setup sites. Currently using a Fanatec Carrera wheel but in sequential gearbox mode until I can improve my times.

Many many thanks in advance.
Attached files
rpmmatt_BL1_XFG_FINISHED.spr - 176.4 KB - 307 views
you problem is that you should take elbows from most outer edge as possible, just check the WR replay and you`ll find out..
You need to go later in to the turns, so brake later ,trail braking and left-foot braking to move your back end little more causing more neutral steer, and use more of the road.
Its also good thing to rev match your downshifts.
#5 - halo
Hi rpmmatt,

My opinion is also similar with the other ppl.
I think you can cut your time down easily more than one second if you improve minor flaws you have.
As far as I can see your PB should be around 1.34.50.
Focus on corners, they have direct impact on time as you know.
There are two things with the corners;
1. The line.
2. Slowing down.

The line; You need to improve on this by taking wider line (attachment).
Take in consideration the slip angle of the front tires.
Slip angle is difference between the direction of the tire and the car actually follows when you turn the wheel at corners.
All that means, you can turn the wheel little bit more than you think to get the car on a proper line during cornering.
Test it, you will see what I mean.

Slowing down; Use the all track, if you experience difficulties with braking on kerbs, get used to it by practicing more.
Trail braking also the thing you need to master on. On the T2 (Turn 2, after the long straight) you could easily shaved considerable time with this technique.
Be very smooth when you approaching the apex.

On your replay, I also noticed that you need to pay attention to weight shift during the cornering. Avoid sharp direction change and use gas pedal smoothly.
For example; releasing the brake pedal instantly on the T2 results is understeer on corner entry. This is why you need to practice on trail braking.

Have a nice day.
Ugur.
Attached images
ScreenShot011.jpg
Quote from vlado_skopsko :
Its also good thing to rev match your downshifts.

Could kindly explain this bit in more detail? I have DFPro wheel (so no clutch).
Thanks for the advice guys. I have been spending a lot of time on Redline Racings server, with Quinn giving lots of advice, and I would recommend them to anyone after help.

I am slowly getting there with my consistency of getting low 1:35's, and have broken into the high 1:34's at last, and if I can tie all my best sectors together on one lap I will be sniffing the magic 1:33 barrier.

God knows what will happen when I try an XRG though
Yes, Quinn is a nice guy and a good teacher. Stick with it and you will soon be doing 1.33s.
The XRG is a great car once you get the hang of it but it is very difficult at the start....ask Quinn, I am sure he will tell you how he loves it.
Quote from Borsch :Could kindly explain this bit in more detail? I have DFPro wheel (so no clutch).

Well, there is some lag between shifts, so when you downshift, after pressing the gear pedal in that small lag period you can press shortly the throttle, but not full throttle, just a little bit depending when you shift. That will reduce the engine braking, so your braking will be smoother and you can increase the brake pressure.
It is tricky at first to get it right but its very nice technique use, not just here but in real life too (double clutch shifting).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG