The online racing simulator
#1 - J@tko
Whole UK Airspace Closed due to Volcanic Ash Cloud
Icelandic Bastards have grounded all UK flights - huge ash cloud has floated down towards us and all flights to and from UK are grounded because of safety fears, until at least 6pm BST tonight. All BA flights are cancelled.

Holy f**k

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm
Not the first time its happened, A large section of Indonesian airspace was closed (permanantly?) due to the same thing, that time a BA 747 lost all 4 engines and had a shotblasted windshield by flying through it, luckily nothing of that sort has happened this time.
#3 - amp88
Yep. Norway, Sweden and Denmark will be closed down completely as well, by the late afternoon/start of evening. First time in my life i experience volcano ash clouds fly over my country.. quite interesting
Schiphol is still partly opened, I hope they are thinking clearly there. =/
#6 - 5haz
I just noticed that the air above is rather quiet today. Usually theres at least about 10 planes in the sky at any one time, can't see any.

Can't see any dangerous quantities of engine munching ash yet, reminds me of when that Hemel oil depot blew up, night time in the middle of the day.
I don't think you can see it, at least the pilots of the 747 that flew into a big cloud of it didn't.
#8 - CSF
Quote from danowat :I don't think you can see it, at least the pilots of the 747 that flew into a big cloud of it didn't.

Yeah, it'll be so dispersed I doubt you'd see anything, maybe just a slightly hazier sky than usual. Ceratinly no billowing grey clouds.
Apparently the sunset later on will be very colourful due to the ash.
And THIS is the little fella causing all the agro.....

On a related note r.e. the Indonesian incident......

Quote :Although the airspace around Mount Galunggung was closed temporarily after the incident, it was re-opened days later. It was only after a Singapore Airlines 747 was forced to shut down three of its engines while flying through the same area nineteen days later (July 13), that Indonesian authorities closed the airspace permanently and re-routed airways to avoid the area, and a watch was set up to monitor clouds of ash.

but there is the beautiful phenominon st elmos fire
so the clouds that pased by today was ash ? yippie no rain
or black rain...
i accidentally a whole airspace
The satellite pic shows the dust cloud roughly 150miles north of Scotland .
So what the heck is all the fuss about? Bloody bunch of idiots in control as usual.
Quote from anttt69 :The satellite pic shows the dust cloud roughly 150miles north of Scotland .
So what the heck is all the fuss about? Bloody bunch of idiots in control as usual.

I heard some Scottsman sent a balloon out to the outer space frontier. Maybe he should send it for some samples
Quote from 5haz :I just noticed that the air above is rather quiet today. Usually theres at least about 10 planes in the sky at any one time, can't see any.

I was wondering the same thing. we get quite a majority of flights to and from stanstead over this area, I'm quite surprised that everything is affected, Would have thought southbound flights would still be able to leave, But then, i'm certainly no expert.

Very interesting though. Very interesting indeed.
Quote from anttt69 :The satellite pic shows the dust cloud roughly 150miles north of Scotland .

Hmmm, something inside me tells me they know what they're talking about, probably just me though.
Quote from pacesetter :

Hmmm, something inside me tells me they know what they're talking about, probably just me though.

well this is the UK. Weather forecasts always wrong. Retarded government. Crappy internet.

btw who is watching the political debate thing tonight on ITV at 8 I think

Planes don't just fly around Scotland you know So it makes sense to have the 'fuss'... saves risk of killing thousands due to the cause of aircrafts flying through the ash and failing/crashing etc

I also wondered why I haven't heard nor saw planes going to and from Prestwick Airport.. Well now I know
#23 - CSU1
#24 - 5haz
Quote from franky500 :I was wondering the same thing. we get quite a majority of flights to and from stanstead over this area, I'm quite surprised that everything is affected, Would have thought southbound flights would still be able to leave, But then, i'm certainly no expert.

Very interesting though. Very interesting indeed.

Also quite odd to see the clear sky with a complete lack of contrails.
hold on this image says differently. I would have thought that central & southern Britain would have been ok but ive already seen 3 different versions of the cloud location . I guess only those in the know, know.
Attached images
_iceland_volcano.gif

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG