The online racing simulator
Is CTRA back up? [ No :o) ]
(137 posts, started )
Quote from Becky Rose :On the rare ocassions I touch C++ I do it in a third party IDE for Blitz and use bmk to build it (which derives from MinGW). I hate visual studio, I meen I literally cannot understand it. I'm unable to even type a cout in it. The whole thing just makes no sense to me. My idea of project management is an SVN and anything more complex than that just gets in the way of actual coding to me. Mind you if I was any good at C++ I'd be going for jobs doing it rather than making PHP which is, lets face it, an interpreted language. *sniff* it's like being a BASIC programmer in the 80s, I'm only cool in q group of nerds provided there are no REAL programmers present. :/

Yeah, I'm kinda stuck with Visual Studio as I need the frikkin Windows SDK (for driver stuff). It's a pain to deal with so far as it solves dependencies and libraries in a stupid way (lets just randomly mix and match libraries between DDK and SDK!). I'm not terribly good, but I know enough to be dangerous although PHP is where I consider myself to be "knowledgable".
Bollox to moving on ,my original point about the fact that this has been disscussed before still stands .

If you regard reapting yourself as usefull disscusion , then so be it , sorry but I didn't realise this was a closed disscussion between the select few

Ok I'm out , you and the select few can carry on and discuss the finer points of the CTRA or lack there of ...just seems a little misplaced
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Yeah, I'm kinda stuck with Visual Studio as I need the frikkin Windows SDK (for driver stuff). It's a pain to deal with so far as it solves dependencies and libraries in a stupid way (lets just randomly mix and match libraries between DDK and SDK!). I'm not terribly good, but I know enough to be dangerous although PHP is where I consider myself to be "knowledgable".

I do enjoy PHP on ocassion, I wrote an A* algoryhtm on a node based map the other day just for giggles and I really enjoyed it, but then of course had to deliver it via AJAX and handle it in Javascript in a cross browser compatible manner and *sigh* it just kills the fun... Well IE just kills the fun, the web languages are so crude still and PHP doesn't even have a consistent syntax, it's like coding with altzeimers. I do miss making actual software, but I think more and more the world is going Javascript/PHP. Which is a shame because there's no native 3D support and IE is really slow when you've got a large object stack in Javascript.
Well, there's actually a WebGL starting to come out in test builds to be used with javascript. Nightly builds of Webkit have it active AFAIK, and there's a test build of Firefox that has it integrated. It's actually awfully slick.

PHP is kinda inconsistent, but so long as you have the C Syntax, you can always write your own functions if you hate the built in ones. I think I like PHP becuase I can have instant gratification that "I DID THIS AND THIS HAPPENED" in like 5 or 10 lines whereas with C or C++, there's hundreds upon thousands of lines to go "OH YEAH, THIS LINE WAS DRAWN... BUT IT'S TRIPLE BUFFERED, ANTIALIASED AND CAN CHANGE COLOURS!".

Maybe it's the ADD of my generation
Quote :Well, there's actually a WebGL starting to come out in test builds to be used with javascript.

now if we could find a way to get those IE users to update their browser when the 3D version comes out then I for one will be able to charge a lot more for what I can do Especially if the page itself is the drawablw canvas (as opposed to an active object on the page).

Quote :but so long as you have the C Syntax, you can always write your own functions

yes and no, the PHP function is interpreted not compiled as a native reserve word is. Now I've seen the practice you describe a lot, and variations of the concept. But the old game programmer in me finds innefficiency hard to stomach. Some things just make my spine tingle, and mostly those are things which needlessly waste CPU cycles!

And Lol on the ADD...
I dunno, I'll learn one day , it just takes focus.
Quote from Becky Rose :LFS is a community not a wiki, were capable of talking the same old crap a few times over just like a bunch of mates down the pub

A very good point there.

Senninha25 - sorry I was a bitch last night, I seriously needed a hug. I agree on that CTRA were a very good server, but my point were that there are a lot of other servers on LFS now, that is very good. I think even a lot of the servers are not well known, but offers statestics, moderating, ranks and more.

Might I suggest you tries out the LR server? There you have pretty much everything CTRA had, in a lightweighter version of it.
Also a less know but good server (if you like rallycross), is the RallyX server (marked something with norwegian blabla). This also offers report system, jokerlaps (you might need to wiki that one), rank system and more.

So in conclusion, yes, CTRA were a loss, but we have to move on. If we all sit on our backs and fight back and forth against eachothers we'll just end up splitting the community even more. Don't be affraight to try out new servers, and don't be affraight to spread the words about great servers, because they are there, if you take a look on the server list
Why is this thread still not closed? I guess no one has brought it to SamH's attention yet?
I really don't understand the constant wishes of people to have threads like this closed. You don't want to read it? Then don't. It's not rocket science.

This is a huge community, not every thread is going to be to everybodys liking. Personally, the programming stuff bores me but I just skim past it.

Eventually the conversation will come to an end and the thread will dissapear from the front page. Why insist on spoiling other peoples conversations just because there was a similar thread 6 months ago?* What makes your opinion more important than others?*

*These questions are pointed at all people who call for threads to be closed not just those in this thread.
#60 - SamH
I'm with you, Menantoll. Unless a thread is "poisonous" in some way, I don't see the need to close it. Becky said it best, it's a community forum not a Wiki.

The question about the CTRA is posed and answered in the first couple of posts. The discussion about WebGL and web programming, meanwhile, is interesting to me and as with the last thread, I imagine some are seeing the opportunity to review their CTRA stats and reminisce a little. Nobody is being hurt, no harm is being done
Quote from obsolum :Why is this thread still not closed?

Well apart from Doc's foul rantings (what a horrible little man he is) there's nothing in this thread that's a reason to close it.

If they closed every thread on a topic that's been discussed before there would only be 5 new threads a day here
Quote from DoC_uk :I'm not here to make Efriends, i post as i see fit or feel at the time , as is my right as i have paid my £24 (if thats ok with you)

Quote from DoC_uk :pot , kettle , black anyone ?

:doh:

Surely the same applies to Senninha. You have no more rights than anyone else, so why try and tear the shit out of someone else for posting and asking a few questions?
Quote from The Moose :If they closed every thread on a topic that's been discussed before there would only be 5 new threads a day here

Exactly, that would be so much better, don't you think?
Quote from Gills4life ::doh:

Surely the same applies to Senninha. You have no more rights than anyone else, so why try and tear the shit out of someone else for posting and asking a few questions?

Tear the shit out of ? Oh please , some people need thicken the skin slightly
Quote from DoC_uk :Tear the shit out of ? Oh please , some people need thicken the skin slightly

Oh ok. So being a dickhead to people is fine. It's everyone elses fault for being too soft. Gotcha
I still beleive CTRA was awesome... it was born of a great philosphy... like all good ideas, however it was flawed from the beginning...

I beleive strongly that you cannot run such a project if you have an interest or a part in the system you are regulating... or at least the regulator/administration cannot be completely run by drivers/players of LFS

PS. Dustin... I can't stand Visual Studio either... I try to steer as clear from it as I possibly can.
Sam you should at least edit the title of the thread, add a big [NO] in there so people don't keep asking lol.
Quote from Gills4life :Oh ok. So being a dickhead to people is fine. It's everyone elses fault for being too soft. Gotcha

Seriously m8 , who the hell you think you are ? My points were valid and backed up with a link to prove it , so because YOU think i was "tearing the shit outta people" you get to call me a dickhead ?

Gotcha
Quote from DoC_uk :Seriously m8 , who the hell you think you are ? My points were valid and backed up with a link to prove it , so because YOU think i was "tearing the shit outta people" you get to call me a dickhead ?

Gotcha

You had a hissy fit about there being 3 CTRA threads already and then backed your "point"(?) up with a link to 1. How does that make your point valid?

I think you are being a dickhead. Therefore I called you a dickhead. Much in the same that you have called people idiots, vile repulsive fools and told someone to such the **** up.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.
Quote from DoC_uk :Tear the shit out of ? Oh please , some people need thicken the skin slightly

lol, you're the one who rants about this subject and we are the ones told to chill? haven't you been skipping some anger management classes? if your idea of this being another thread as the other one posted months ago stands, then why the heck were you posting here anyway? just read and shut your face if you're thinking about ranting.
Kamrock: The only reeason I'm using Visual Studio and not something like Dev-C++ is because I NEED the Windows DDK (Driver Dev Kit), and in Microsofs typical way, it's only compatible with Visual Studio. Although VS isn't as horrible as one might think, I just hate the way it resolves dependencies, becuase it ends up I'm compiling my program with say the Windows 7 version of SetupAPI.lib (stuff to do with DDK), but the built in VS version of hidsdi.lib which incurs (as one would expect) a shit-tonne of compiler errors. I've started to rectify this by making the include files I need totally local by copying them into my project but it's such a wasteful effort.

Maybe I'll haffto take the pussy way out and use something like C#. Avoids a lot of this bullshit with Visual studio sucking at compiling C++.

Also, Why do we haffto keep bickering? Doc_Uk is a prick, and everyone else is sane. Why get dragged down to his level?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Kamrock: The only reeason I'm using Visual Studio and not something like Dev-C++ is because I NEED the Windows DDK (Driver Dev Kit), and in Microsofs typical way, it's only compatible with Visual Studio. Although VS isn't as horrible as one might think, I just hate the way it resolves dependencies, becuase it ends up I'm compiling my program with say the Windows 7 version of SetupAPI.lib (stuff to do with DDK), but the built in VS version of hidsdi.lib which incurs (as one would expect) a shit-tonne of compiler errors. I've started to rectify this by making the include files I need totally local by copying them into my project but it's such a wasteful effort.

Lol, no I understand your problem... just saying I agree with you.

Although I have been using VS 2008 recently and it seems much better than it used to be... I still use Redhat core for most of my programming so GCC works the best... however with the success of Windows 7 and the new VS I might be tempted back from the command-prompt compiling...
i prefer XCode still. It's a lot better I find than VS or GCC (even though at it's core, it's GCC), mostly because it uses the whole "Framework" concept of OSX, which means that libraries and such are system wide, and compiled for any application to use to run or to compile.

Such a better system than having .lib files scattered everywhere. Makes life really easy.
#74 - SamH
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Sam you should at least edit the title of the thread, add a big [NO] in there so people don't keep asking lol.

Good thinking, batman! LOL!
That's abuse of power!! ABUSE, ABUUUSSSSEE RIOT ROOOOOOARRRR!!!!!!!!

Is CTRA back up? [ No :o) ]
(137 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG