The online racing simulator
LFS knock-off merch
(30 posts, started )
It's a funny thing that before we started the shop, we wanted to gauge stock, so we did a poll, asking people to only vote if they were absolutely certain to buy particular goods, without any doubt at all, as soon as they were available.

Well I can't remember the exact numbers but let's say 1000 people said they would buy a shirt. Well, we ordered something like 500 in that case, only worried that we wouldn't have enough stock to meet the demand. This was at a very busy time in LFS's history when it was really active (let's not get into that conversation).

Then, with a variety of high quality shirts, printed and delivered and a special new site created, we were all ready to go for the substantial sales promised.

What happened then? Well instead of 500 sales it was more like 20. Then a few more each week until it fizzled out almost completely.

Sorry for not knowing the exact figures, but these are roughly representative. Basically the vast majority of the stock, that community had promised to definitely buy, just sat there in boxes. It was quite disappointing really.

Lesson to learn: If people claim they will absolutely, definitely purchase something with no doubt at all, the instant it becomes available... well when it comes to actually getting their credit card out to buy, only a very tiny number of those people will actually do it. I don't know, what seems like a good idea suddenly isn't a good idea when you actually pick up your credit card?
Quote from Facu23 :Found this one at my work. I'll make random races and give that as a prize for the winner Rofl

What on earth
Quote from Scawen :What happened then? Well instead of 500 sales it was more like 20. Then a few more each week until it fizzled out almost completely.

The way a popular youtuber DankPods does his own merchandise drops is by making the merch item a preorder. There is a period of preorders, after the period is over, the merchandise gets made and shipped to the people who ordered it. But if merch was brought back now, I'm not sure how the system would work at lower scales
Quote from Scawen :
well when it comes to actually getting their credit card out to buy, only a very tiny number of those people will actually do it.

Just a quick thought: maybe you could sell printing rights for the merch with the LFS logos to some external company. Some companies use designs of individual creators and they share a part of profit. I know a company doing this but I don't want to sound like I'm advertising something here. Smile

EDIT: oh god, this nickname I made in 2008 Face -> palmBig grin

LFS knock-off merch
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG