The online racing simulator
Desktop PC Wifi Network Card
(18 posts, started )
Hello, I recently got myself an Ipod Touch, however, I don't have a WiFi connection at home.

I have been reading up on Network Cards and apparently they can turn your PC into a WiFi access point.

Now I've seen a couple which take my fancy, but I'm not to sure on the website but I found one on play.com and I was just wondering if I bought this, would my Ipod be able to connect to it and access the internet that way?

Regards, Xaid0n
i don't know if an ipod touch supports ad-hoc wireless connections, but if it does, i don't see why it shouldn't be possible.
Well I went to McDonalds the other day and they had an Adhoc connection, I managed to get onto their website but the connection timed out, I think I might have been out of range. My friend had gone onto their wireless with his Touch before so it does support it.
#4 - CSU1
Any card USB,CF or internal will work.

Do not expect good range with adhoc, if possible use a wireless router instead...

E

...there is a lot of redundant PCI garbage being sold on the webs so check the docs and review s for vista/W7 driver support(sorry I know this is obvious but with pci cards it can be a pain).
Well I'm running XP so I would think that compatibility shouldn't be a problem
#6 - Jakg
Just buy a WiFi Router, you can replace your router with it, or just plug your ethernet cable in the back and then use it as an access point / switch.

You can get 'em on eBay for less than tenner on eBay usually.
#7 - dadge
Quote from Jakg :Just buy a WiFi Router, you can replace your router with it, or just plug your ethernet cable in the back and then use it as an access point / switch.

You can get 'em on eBay for less than tenner on eBay usually.

firstly, to the OP. who is your ISP? no point buying an ADSL router when it's fibre optic broadband you have. and vice versa.
but back to the point of the thread. if you're willing to spend £14 to find out if you can do it, fine. if it doesn't work, you'll always have a wifi card in your pc (slight future proof)
#8 - Jakg
Irrespective of what ISP you have, you can use either a cable or ADSL router as an access point - just plug an ethernet cable into one of the ports on the back and it works out what to do (although you *may* need to disable DHCP). You can also plug your PC in another port on the back and it'll act as a switch.

I have done this on D-Link, Netgear & Belkin routers in the past - by my feet I have a Netgear D834GT (aka the one Sky give away free) with a faulty modem (doesn't matter so got it free!) and a Belkin N1 and they both worked fine without any setting up.
yep well it'll be handy both ways

I'm with Virgin Media (sucky ISP), but mum said she would be looking into getting wireless in the future (future being May/June)... but I didn't fancy waiting that long but if she does eventually get it, i can use this card for that connection ... Me mum has a laptop so she already has WiFi capability on it
@ Jakq.
please read your previous post bud. you said for him to take his current router and replace it with a wifi. Virginmedia supply cable modems, not routers. (50Mb/s gets you the wifi modem/router). removing this modem is not recomended. unless you've bought a cable router which would have wifi built in. which would mean that he would already have an access point and would not need to make this thread.
3 in a row WHOOHOO!!!
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.u ... Detail.asp?ProductID=3278 the important bit is at the very bottom "Broadband routers are designed to be used with Virgin Media Broadband (previously NTL, Telewest) via a cable modem. If you have a broadband via a phoneline, see ADSL Wireless Routers instead."
#13 - CSU1
...mums laptop is perfectley able to act as an ap for the touch(so long as she does not mind it being turned on all of the time...well til may or June that is).

Set up the usual power scheme on the notebook(do not standby on AC when lid is closed...just in case). I'm not on xp ATM but thinks it's like this to set up

go to properties of notebook wifi card and select adhoc networks only, then manage wireless networks for that card and create a new adhoc network in the preferred networks section. Go to the properties of Ethernet card and enable Internet connection sharing. You should then tell the wifi card to connect to the previously made adhoc network and whalla!
Cheers for the help fellas, will try the lappy trick now... she has a crappy Acer laptop on Windows Vista, not sure on that OS but I'll figure out how to sort it
I have cable coming into my house, then that goes to the router, which is in the front room,
i then have my pc in back room, with a wireless card which i use to connect,

If your mum already connects using wi-fi, who`s network is she contacting to ? maybe a neighbours ?
No my mum connects using a Wired connection, the laptop has the ability to become an access point but the ipod wouldn't connect to the damn thing, kept saying "connect timeout" or "cannot get access to the internet" grrr
iPod Touch supports ad-hoc connections perfectly, it just needs a bit of a configuringon on the computer side. I tried this with my Touch 1G and ASUS EEE1000H (Win XP).
I don't have any PC with XP and WiFi around and it's been a while since I've done this, so I might not remember all the steps exactly.

First you have to create new WiFi network in windows. You can do that in Control Panel>Network Connections>rightclick a connection which belongs to the WiFi card>Properties. There is a list of preffered networks, just click "Add", fill the name, set it as Ad-Hoc and check "Connect even when the network is not broadcasting". Now move to the first tab in the window, select TCP/IP Protocol and click properties. Pick "Specify IP address manually" and use following settings
IP: 192.168.1.0, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Default gateway: 192.168.1.0. There is no need to specify DNS servers yet.

Now take your Touch, go to Settings>Wi-Fi>click on that arrow next to the name of your wifi network>select Static and fill the field like this
IP address: 192.168.1.1, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Router: 192.168.1.0. After that your Touch should be connected to your PC. To make the internet accessible, you will need a DNS server. You can find its address by running Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /all. A bunch of text should appear and if you scroll through it, you will most likely find an IP address of a DNS your PC uses. Put this address to the DNS field in your Touch's settings and there you go.

EDIT: I've almost forgotten, you need to allow sharing of your internet connection of your PC. This can be done in it's properies by ticking "Allow other users to the this internet connection" (or whatever the Englich translation would be: )

But if you think you'll be using internet on your Touch on a regular basis, getting a WiFi router si MUCH better idea, mostly because of better signal and way easier configuration.
I know how to configure the setup to get the wifi. You set up the Ad-hoc network on the wireless card, then allow internet sharing on your main internet card.

I ordered the card anyways, even if it don't work I can use it for when mum finally does get wireless...

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG