The online racing simulator
internet/mobo/OS question
(6 posts, started )
Dual network port on mobo, i have 2 phone lines, one currently has a internet connection connected to it (due an upgrade in 2-3wks from bl**dy 512kbit) and the original phone (also had internet through it, not that thats important).

What im wondering is if i get reeeally greedy and wanted to add an additional internet connection onto what is currently just a phone line, will my mobo (or more likely the OS) be okay with dealing with me chit-chatting to the WWW via 2 IP addresses?

Would love to go from 58KB downloads to doubling up a pair of 5.5mbit to reach 1200KB, but just wondering if there would be conflicts in doing this?

Cheers in advance
I don't think it would work that way, you'd have 2 seperate IP''s, so you'd be able to DL at 600 KB/s concurrently, but not 1 file at 1200KB/s, efven then there may be conflicts (browser/OS not knowing how to deal with 2 lines/IP's) and I would probably not put many eggs in that 1200kb/s basket Unless you wanted to give a VMware machine one of the lines, then you'd be able to do both lines to their fullest I reckon.
ah paulie, you would have to discover the wonders of the linux world to do that
some headaches also i suspect, as it wont be useful for online play or anything that needs an ip.
heh quick search points to an old puter running BSD+CARP, it would load balance the 2 connections but i dunno about leeching the same file at max speed from both lines for example.aparently this is common in some businesses but as a backup incase the main line freaks out, there is also cisco hardware for it
aaaaaaaah dont you start on about bl**dy linux again

I had a feeling that there would be issues, im not particularly fussed about being able to hit 1200kb on a single download, but just to work like dual core processors it obviously has its benefit, its no more powerful than a single core but can do twice the work as you have 2 there to share the load.
Even if i had to assign one to torrent or download software and then leave the other one free for browsing or gaming (although the CPU & HDD load from downloading wouldnt be helpful) that would be a big help, as its a real kick in the cnut working on a website waiting 30sec for a 4kb file to u/l while downloading at what everyone reminds me is no more than a snails pace.

Cisco huh, they couldnt even provide CTU with triple HD monitors when poor Jack Bauer is trying to save the world!!!
#5 - Jakg
you cant "team" them but you can have two and use one for uTorrent etc
this would not work at least not on windows XP.You would need special Cisco hardware which cost thousands and it would need to be configured at your ISP as well if you would like both line to work like one.

Its called MLPPP

Althought its possible with some latest NVIDIA 680chipset mobos to combine 2 LAN sockets into 1 in the LOCAL network.This still doesnt do what you have asked above.

Barroso,
also dont mix load balance sharing when 2 lines are used to balance the traffic and MLPPP as I mentioned above.
These are quite different things .Load balance sharing is used mostly when 1 line is overloaded so the traffic goes different route.It can be also used when 1 lines go down but really not often.If companies need back up they usually order 2 line with the 2nd router which coonected usually to different provider for diversity requirements.Its not best solution to have 2 lines from same provider.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG