The online racing simulator
Circuit advertising
(24 posts, started )
Circuit advertising
Hi!

I have a question:

Can I modify a .dds file of a circuit, for example the sponsor boards, and force the users that connect to the server to download that version so they see the modified boards?

Thanks a lot
#2 - Jakg
Nope - LFS wont download anything automagically without S2
Not possible, even with S2.
Quote from duke_toaster :Not possible, even with S2.

It will only work if the user has the .dds file.

I think illepall
Yes as in that user will have to go some where other then LFS to get that file. The only custom content downloaded right now is skins for the cars and helmet.
It's a shame.

If a community of pilots finds a sponsor, it could shows on track the sponsor boards...

However, I'm studying a different way to do that. Maybe with an external download and a check for the pilot to have the right file...
#7 - bbman
Good luck with programming that trojan horse... Do I have to remind you of the consequences if you really manage to pull that off? illepall And I really don't want to download every kids advertisments just because he thinks it's cool...
Quote from Goodfella :It's a shame.

If a community of pilots finds a sponsor, it could shows on track the sponsor boards...

I hate the fact that LFS teams are paid to have sponsorship. What next? that bloody silly dynamic ads thing that that piece of sh*t called RACE will have?

Quote :However, I'm studying a different way to do that. Maybe with an external download and a check for the pilot to have the right file...

You are not going to get me to do that. Good luck with your trojan. Cos f*cking hell, you'll need it.
#9 - Jakg
Quote from duke_toaster :You are not going to get me to do that. Good luck with your trojan. Cos f*cking hell, you'll need it.

it's almost as bad as "this email is being tracked" messages where you have to forward it (grrr i hate chain letters!)

Good luck tho goodfella, why not have it send away my cookies and certain LFS license files while it's "checking i have the sponsors", try it, im sure AVG would LOVE to tear those little packets apart
sorry Guys. maybe you misunderstood.

I want a system that only the pilots in a team to join a server the adv is required.

This not to pay someone's holiday, but only for help pay a dedicated server that it's 400 eur monthly!!!

however, thanks for your EXTREME FRIENDLY support...
Quote from Goodfella :sorry Guys. maybe you misunderstood.

I want a system that only the pilots in a team to join a server the adv is required.

This not to pay someone's holiday, but only for help pay a dedicated server that it's 400 eur monthly!!!

however, thanks for your EXTREME FRIENDLY support...

400 eur/month dedicated server... how many "servers" can it hold.
#12 - Jakg
nope - i dont see how you can justify installing something on my pc when there are 400 other servers around

Oh, and were only friendly to people who dont want to put a virus on our pc's
No one said that you have to download that app. So where's your problem?

I think some people here should learn not to be so hostile towards new users / demo racers.
nobody wants to install virus on pc!

You don't want to understand...

bye...
Maybe it was advertising pizza's.........
Quote from Goodfella :This not to pay someone's holiday, but only for help pay a dedicated server that it's 400 eur monthly!!!

No, around 20 quid monthly (around 30 euros) can get you a perfectly good server from someone such as 500 servers.
#17 - Jakg
#silence#

i think someone got caught out with their "400 euro server"
Quote :No, around 20 quid monthly (around 30 euros) can get you a dedicated server.

In fairness i've looked into this and 20 odd squidoolies a month gets you a linux server, and the LFS dedicated host software is Windows only at the moment, it's nearer £80 a month for a Windows based server (because of the Windows license cost). That still isn't 400 euro's a month though, unless you're under the misconception that you need 1 server machine for each LFS server application you run, which is a common misconception with all sorts of server based activities.
Quote from Becky Rose :In fairness i've looked into this and 20 odd squidoolies a month gets you a linux server, and the LFS dedicated host software is Windows only at the moment, it's nearer £80 a month for a Windows based server (because of the Windows license cost). That still isn't 400 euro's a month though, unless you're under the misconception that you need 1 server machine for each LFS server application you run, which is a common misconception with all sorts of server based activities.

OK. I was geting it mixed up, I was thinking 500 servers.
I just looked at the deal offered by 500 servers, and I have to say if the purpose you want a server for is LFS then it's a darn good deal - although i've only looked at it from a financial stand point.

The difference of course is that they aren't dedicated servers, quality of service therefor is down to how many servers they put onto a single machine and the connection to that machine.

Still if I didn't have the solution that i've got now I think, as a customer shopping around, I think that's the deal i'd probably try.
TBH it depends on what you want to use the server for. if your just gonna chuck a bunch of random servers on it then you could in theory just go buy a cheap server (box), Depending on where it is hosted you can pick them up for less than £60 GBP. All depends on use really. Although with what you are describing for LFS it isnt worth it as you would still need the individual users to go and download the DDS files from another location such as a website and then to replace the ones they already have.. There is no way (afaik) to force them to change the dds files or to tell if they are different.

If you are however just looking for a single (or maybe a couple) of servers. then there is no need to go searching for advertising. best option is to go and spend only 20 - 30 GBP and get some game servers that are SHARED with other servers. If you pick the right company for that then the quality isnt going to be too different.

Good Luck
Maybe you Jaqk, or duke_toaster, don't read my messages.

I didn't talk about a server hosting like 500server, but a DEDICATED SERVER, that is pretty different.

A dedicated server can host many lfs servers, is a machine rent and with that machine, the provider gives you bandwidth on rent, that cost very much.

If you want to host many different game servers, you need a lot of bandwidth. So don't try to annoy me with your stupid replies... thanks!
www.liveforspeed.fr seem to be the cheapest. i get my 23 slot server for €19.99 which is about £13.50 a month and it has a very low ping (~45).
that might be a better solution, you could host 20 LFS servers then for the price of your dedicated server.
food for thought.... goodluck anyways
I need a dedicated server because only with a dedicated machine I can run my personal programs for storing and displaying statistics in the way I want... and also for other things like real-time tracking...

Circuit advertising
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG