The online racing simulator
Graphics update progress @Scawen
(69 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Flotch :mod update was more important at that time ! It brings new people to the party (and so some funds for the devs)

Dunno i think player base is lower than ever
Quote from Viperakecske :Dunno i think player base is lower than ever

1) Check the graph instead of making up information:
https://www.lfsworld.net/?win=hosts&whichTab=licensed_history&t=600
(Racers & Hosts online... History... 600 days)

2) Have you actually read what this thread is about? I don't get the idea of complaining "X isn't happening" on the thread which is all about "X is happening".

3) You have probably forgotten that, due to piracy, this business was no longer earning us enough to live on by the end of last year. The new mod system (offering something that pirates don't have) in conjunction with the new anti-piracy measures has meant that more people buy a license instead of taking the piracy route and now we earn enough to live on. So that's helpful, unless you would prefer us to stop working on LFS.
Dont mind gabor he is noob
I applaud your efforts, and hope the update lands this year, only scared for all the mod/lfs car reworks that could be needed to account for the new physics, and a proper RX slick would be appreciated, hybride tires currently struggle to last 4 laps on Schancke T16 on BL3 and it’s still 230hp short of IRL RX SuperCar specs
Quote from Scawen :1) Check the graph instead of making up information:

2) Have you actually read what this thread is about? I don't get the idea of complaining "X isn't happening" on the thread which is all about "X is happening".

3) You have probably forgotten that, due to piracy, this business was no longer earning us enough to live on by the end of last year. The new mod system (offering something that pirates don't have) in conjunction with the new anti-piracy measures has meant that more people buy a license instead of taking the piracy route and now we earn enough to live on. So that's helpful, unless you would prefer us to stop working on LFS.

Gabor talked about racing in LFS.

And no graph can show what logging into lfs and joining a server to race will show. Ypu will race alone or in demo.
I know what he is talking about, don't need any help understanding.

EDIT: I think you need some help understanding though. The conversation is a bit silly. Like this:

A: "I am working on X and Y which everyone wants"
B: "Hey, online racing is worse than ever before (false statement). You need to work on X and Y, not Z"

Just pointless rubbish. Use brain before typing.
I do agree its pointless rubbish and mostly refrain from posting. Good luck on development.
Quote from Scawen :1) Check the graph instead of making up information:

Hey Scawen,

It's really great to hear about the work you do on new physics, and sorry that the LFS seems like not making enough income. Personally, I bought S3 because of to support you guys, most of the time I'm playing S2 or demo content anyway. I really like to see the new tire physics and updated graphics, and I'm ready to support devs as I can.

But the situation is not that straightforward. We heard about the new tire physics back in 2009. It's 10+ years ago. According to your post, LFS makes enough money in these 10+ years to your and LFS dev's needs. And yes, we see the active development in these years, but no too active. In 2022 there is already 4 new version thanks to mods and the event calendar. But back then there is only 1 new version in 2021 with minor updates, we don't get any new version in 2020. In 2019 we get updates for VR gaming, which is also a minor update and does not affect many players. And we can go back in time, there are 1-1 updates in years most of them minor updates only. (not all of them)

According to this, it's not strange there are community members who are dissatisfied and they can't be happy with the updates.
But no offense, I really like LFS, and great to see there is progress.
Well... it's really silly for me to start trying to talk about why things haven't been finished as quickly as people would have liked for the past decade and more.

So I won't get into that, of course. But I might post here when there are interesting updates.

Coding is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT in general and it is a slow and meticulous process, to actually make a big program like LFS go forward with genuine improvements and not break anything.

For interest, you may like to see this archive of official LFS news items, there are three pages of links to news articles. It goes back as far as November 2008, so more than 13 years which can give a good understanding of how much work has actually been done in that time.
https://www.lfs.net/news/type/-2

But repenting for my previous sins of not magically prioritising all work I do, so that 100% of people can get their favourite feature as fast as humanly possible, is not something that I will do. It doesn't even make sense.

I work by inspiration. I try things and get inspired and do massive work pushes at times to get super things done, that I am actually proud of. At other times there have been periods when less has been done. That is how it works.
Hi Scawen, you should not get into explaining what you did and why. These comments are coming from guys that never programed anything in their lives and are obviously clueless how much effort and patience it takes. Just do your thing.
I will remind that LFS in its current state is a programing master piece - done by basically 1 guy!
Quote from Scawen :I made a step forward in tyre physics last week.

Thanks for sharing,it is encouraging to know Smile
I appreciate your patience (especially with some comments). Keep up the good work. I do appreciate and I am not alone.
Yeah for sure, i play since i have 14 years old! Every day, i take a look on lfs.net, that's my morning routine! I love your work! The feeling of each cars is just better than other sims that i've played, i've buyed oculus rift only for your game! I buy S4 version now if you make track editor Wink LFS is not only money, that's a part of your passion and we understanding that! Keep it up!
Keep up the good work Scawen. You can even take the childish negative feedback as compliments, you wouldn't get those if this game had no value and importance to them. They are just too immature to express themselves constructively. Most people indeed have no clue how difficult it is to code something like this.
the end of piracy in this game will contribute a lot to the improvement of the community. Would it be a good idea to have youtubers calling more people to play this great game?. what do you think?
Hey Scawen. Super interesting read, please don't get discouraged from posting by the conduct of dullards; some of us have been here ages and sit silently reading your comments just because LFS is a cool thing, and we're interested.

Also, I had no idea before this thread why the actual hell there was wild stuttering in VR even though my frames were capped and PC not taxed. I spent ages fiddling with settings and getting frustrated about it, now I get that's just an innate symptom of how things are calculated & drawn. Not brutal if you get really focused on only what's in front of you, but looking into the periphery hurts my visual cortex lol.

Thanks for sharing. Still anticipating your new physics / graphics!
edit )
Quote from johneysvk :...but at this point the new physics have been promised for almost half of my life...

Very interesting... not.

This thread had actually become a place where I was relaying information about interesting updates to the graphics system. I was thinking of it as somewhere I could write minor updates without going the way of full progress reports. Thumbs up

But for some very strange reason, a few people decided to turn it into a new thread to bash the LFS developers. Some people have some very strange personal issues and should really have a think about that.

We have reached an entirely new level of weirdness here, where a few people are actually attacking me BECAUSE I AM DOING the very thing they want me to do. Confused

Thanks to the people who offered support and ask me not to get discouraged. But the weird people do put me off somewhat. It's quite a bad feeling to be thinking about something for ages, trying experiments, getting good results, thinking "this will be nice to tell the community" then receiving general off-topic insults on a thread for absolutely no reason.

Previous comments have not managed to stop the weirdos coming out, so I'll now close the thread, because it'll be more peaceful to keep on with the updates, without getting notifications about new posts. I have to read the comments, because any new post might have been one of the majority of people who were actually interested in updates. But too often it's one of the people who just want to spoil it for others because of their own personal problems.

Final update:

I managed to reduce the CPU usage for the calculations a lot in the 1000 Hz version, mainly by making special code to avoid the intersection checks whenever possible, and also reducing the frequency of the detection for contact points that are not currently in contact. So far the intersection checks for 10 cars at South City are reduced from 20.3% to 6.1% of CPU and it does not get too much worse under the flyover. I have a plan to try improving the numerical efficiency of the detection code.

As for the subupdates, the increase in that computation wasn't so much related to the cache as I had thought. In fact the actual "subupdate" part for 10 cars increased only from 3.3% to 4.2% of CPU. The main extra work is explained by a part that is done each physics frame and comes after the subupdates, which increased from 0.5% to 3.3% of CPU because it is done 10 times more frequently. I'm sure some improvements can be made in there.
This thread is closed

Graphics update progress @Scawen
(69 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG