The online racing simulator
Please bring LFS to MacOS!
(11 posts, started )
I paid and started to play LFS since 2013 and haven't been using Windows for years. So please provide a version for MacOS!
doubt they would make that effort on how old the game is just use a windows booter?
I also use macOS since many years, I'm using VM for now to play LFS. I wish they could make it but I really doubt it.
I use PlayOnMac and it runs perfectly without any configuration. I guess after the next graphics update howeverr, newer DirectX will be used. This will probably cause problems with PlayOnMac/Wine. But thats not yet a problem atm.

The only real problem that i've encountered is controller support. Macosx doesn't have the best driver support by default. I've contributed to a script that enables 900 degrees of wheel rotation for logitech wheels on macosx. Thats very nice to have :-)

https://github.com/jackhumbert/FreeTheWheel
I'll try to update the mac/linux section on the LFSManual. It's a bit outdated.
#6 - gu3st
Does PlayOnMac come with a 32bit=>64bit shim like Crossover has? As of 2 versions ago, macOS will not run 32 bit applications, which includes 32bit WINE. Crossover has solved for this, but is a paid application.

I tried running 0.7A in Crossover recently but it seems to randomly crash during initilization. Newer DirectX also isn't going to be a big deal, it'll probably just require the inclusion of https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk into the bottling process (although that may not work on macOS and may also need MoltenVK to go dx => vulkan => metal which Crossover includes)

Booting into windows (natively) isn't an option on newer M1 Macs, however Parallels (paid, expensive-ish) does support running Windows 11 ARM which includes both a x86 and x64 emulator. VMWare Fusion (which is free for personal use) will eventually support ARM Windows 11 (it unofficially does in the Tech Preview for M1) which will also be a path to running LFS on virtualized Windows.

EDIT: I actually just tested both Crossover and Parallels. Crossover I was able to get working by using a Win10 bottle (instead of Win7) and enabling the DXVK support. However it was uselessly slow (<1 FPS with a single AI).

In Parallels, using ARM Win11 (which then does the x86 translation inside the VM) runs comfortably at >100 FPS on my 16" MBP (M1 Pro, 16 GPU Cores). Back of grid in a 32 car AI race at Westhill is about 30-40 FPS. VMWare, once the Windows support is more official, will likely run similarly to Parallels.
I used Crossover for the last years because of (OSX since Catalina i think?) doesn't run 32bit apps indeed. That used to work but since my last update it didn't anymore.

Thats when I switched back to PlayOnMac and this works perfectly for me. I do select a 64bit windows installation for the virtual drive (see attached image). But the actual bottle/virtual drive is 32bit. (see the other image)

My FPS is usually somewhere between 50 and 100, which is perfectly playable.
Attached images
PlayOnMac_and_PlayOnMac_and_LFS_Forum_-_Please_bring_LFS_to_MacOS_.png
PlayOnMac_configuration_and_PlayOnMac_and_LFS_Forum_-_Post_a_reply.png
I tried some weeks ago with Crossover but it doesn't work properly, I get 1fps, when I turn the sound off, it goes to 40-50fps (I'm not sure but I think sound in LFS uses a lot of CPU)

Now I'm using it in Parallels with trial account and Win 11, it works fine, I get 100fps and can play with not much issues, even I plugged by USB-C a DualSense controller and it works, I guess it would work on Bluetooth on a native installation.

My hardware is a M1 MacBook Pro with 8gb of Ram.
#9 - gu3st
Quote from raikkosiris :I tried some weeks ago with Crossover but it doesn't work properly, I get 1fps, when I turn the sound off, it goes to 40-50fps (I'm not sure but I think sound in LFS uses a lot of CPU)

Now I'm using it in Parallels with trial account and Win 11, it works fine, I get 100fps and can play with not much issues, even I plugged by USB-C a DualSense controller and it works, I guess it would work on Bluetooth on a native installation.

My hardware is a M1 MacBook Pro with 8gb of Ram.

I might get curious later and see if I can't install my Thrustmaster drivers (even though they're x86) in ARM Windows. I don't think it'll work, but if it did that'd be pretty funny.
Quote from gu3st :I might get curious later and see if I can't install my Thrustmaster drivers (even though they're x86) in ARM Windows. I don't think it'll work, but if it did that'd be pretty funny.

I have an old one Logitech Force Pro from the times of PS2-PS3, didn't tried it but I highly doubt it will work, specially because I even don't have drivers and last time I used it with my old PS3 and Gran Turismo 6.
Quote from Van Sterberkt :I used Crossover for the last years because of (OSX since Catalina i think?) doesn't run 32bit apps indeed. That used to work but since my last update it didn't anymore.

Thats when I switched back to PlayOnMac and this works perfectly for me. I do select a 64bit windows installation for the virtual drive (see attached image). But the actual bottle/virtual drive is 32bit. (see the other image)

My FPS is usually somewhere between 50 and 100, which is perfectly playable.

I will try with PlayOnMac because my trial of parallels will end soon, are you using Apple silicon Mac?

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG