The online racing simulator
New time limits for submitting mods and updates to mods [OBSOLETE]
EDIT: The information here is no longer correct as we have a new system for mod approval: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95940

Hello Modders,

We are really impressed by a lot of the mods you have been working on, and are very happy to see so many people learning to use our development tools during this testing period.

So far we have been unable to keep up with the number of mods and updates submitted, so we have decided to impose some time limits. These may well be a temporary measure while we try to figure out other ways to keep the quality high and the update frequency down a bit.

The general idea is to prepare your mod well, test and improve it a lot in single player, hopefully discuss it in the Mods Work in Progress section, then when it's pretty good, submit the first version. That's what we mean by "Work in Progress".

For us, "Work in Progress" doesn't mean you've just started working on it. Obviously work is in progress at that point, but for a submitted mod, it means it's in a good state, really fun to drive, everything works and it is in the final stages of development.

Good mod creators will really take their time to work on a mod. It's not a 10 minute job like in my test video with the UF 1300. More like weeks of work, though this depends on the type of mod you are creating and what source materials you have. The reviewers are far more likely to take an interest in proper mods that add something to Live for Speed. They aren't very inspired by LFS cars with slightly different engine or tyres.

So the new limits are:

Quote :You can request a first-time mod review only once every 7 days
You can request a review for an updated mod archive once every 48 hours
These time limits are set and measured after each review approval

You can have one pending mod review at any moment

To express that a different way:

Quote :If you have no mod awaiting approval at all, then:
- You can request a first version mod review if 7 days have elapsed since your last first version mod was approved
- You can request an update review on a mod if 48 hours have elapsed since that mod's last update was approved

We hope this will not cause inconvenience, but instead encourage people to take their time to get things right before submitting new mods or updates.

Thank you! Smile
Sounds fair. To both parties Smile. Looking forward to see some impressive mods in the coming weeks.
Now i get why my XRT is on pending 2 days. I will just wait for approve and continue work on my XFG cuz it will take at least 1 week to finish it.
So say for example you are managing multiple mods and there is a required update to suspension for example or maybe you improved something on 2 mods, you will have to wait 48 hours to post each update? or will this be locked to each mod you manage?
Quote from ELDemon :So say for example you are managing multiple mods and there is a required update to suspension for example or maybe you improved something on 2 mods, you will have to wait 48 hours to post each update? or will this be locked to each mod you manage?

We've adjusted the rules a bit since I posted that, so the 48 hours applies *per mod*.

That means, if one mod's update is approved (so now you have no mods awaiting approval) you can immediately submit an update for a different mod, as long as the second mod hasn't already been approved within the last 48 hours.

I've changed the wording slightly (in the second quote). Though I think we'll need to adjust the wording of the first quote a bit too.
Quote from Scawen :We've adjusted the rules a bit since I posted that, so the 48 hours applies *per mod*.

That means, if one mod's update is approved (so now you have no mods awaiting approval) you can immediately submit an update for a different mod, as long as the second mod hasn't already been approved within the last 48 hours.

I've changed the wording slightly (in the second quote). Though I think we'll need to adjust the wording of the first quote a bit too.

I really really like this change, The mod list was getting somewhat filled with small edits, lazy tweaks, or just rushed content.... Although I do feel like the time between is each submission is a little long. The time limits implemented right now could be cut in half and i feel it would be more reasonable when just updating a mod or uploading a new one.

Cut 7 days down to 4 Days when submitting a new mod ( 4 days is a reasonable buffer just to deter lazy mods ) and keep the 2 or 1 day buffer between updates ( Personally I get so much work done on a mod in one night that its nearly ready to be an update )

But I don't know how many new mod submissions have been submitted just in this first week so I don't know how bad it is from your end lol.
i think what moderators must create some faq or checklist for comunity to reduce the number of dummy checks
IMHO the bar for WIP is somewhat too high. You're kinda expecting a 90% model, which is not "WIP" in my opinion. That is "almost done".

I totally like to discuss the development of a mod on the forum but then, model must also be accessible to all participants of that discussion. I mean physically, not just by constantly re-uploading more and more screenshots because that is just tedious. Sharing the files with others in other ways than LFS, usually strangers, is also a big burden.

There is more to a model than just its looks, a big factor is also the handling and performance, which can't be judged just by looking at it. Other people could make setups or tune the engine to improve the model or give tips how to sort out bugs.

What I'd wish for would be way of pre-releasing an "in DEV" version (what I actually thought was "WIP") to share it with people on the forum and discuss it.

How about adding an "pre-release"-tag to mods, even before reviewers would had to bother with it, and people could access those mods by manually entering the skin-id? Add some disclaimer screen saying something like "this model hasn't been approved yet", etc and everybody would be happy Wink
Some good points in the post above. I guess so far no modder went as far as developing custom suspension for their cars, even those with "fully custom" mesh seem to use the XRT or another LFS car's physics (suspension).

Might be worth to add a check for these "rebodies", just an algorithm that compares a mod cars underpinnings with a database of yours, and add s flag to the car's page.
Quote from chucknorris :...How about adding an "pre-release"-tag to mods, even before reviewers would had to bother with it, and people could access those mods by manually entering the skin-id? Add some disclaimer screen saying something like "this model hasn't been approved yet", etc...

What happens if someone makes a mod that includes real car names or logos, or takes meshes converted from other games, and just leaves it as a pre-release, with no intention of every submitting for review?
Critical issue found with this system as is right now.

Was waiting for my mod submission to be looked at for a few days now,
in that time period while the mod isnt even uploaded yet ive been adding more and more. I thought i might aswell replace the mod submission
i uploaded a few days ago with this new updated version, since the initial mod wasnt uploaded yet.

Tryed to upload the updated version of the mod submission and now it says
i can only have 1 mod submission per week and it removed my original mod submission, showing i have no submissions right now and i have to wait a week before even trying again >Frown
The rules are quite tough at the moment, as we really could not keep up with the rate of submission. One of your mods was approved within the last 7 days, so that's why your new submission couldn't be accepted today. Also there was a bug, but I'm not sure if that affected you.

Today we have been working on a plan for a new system. As mentioned in the first post, these current limits "may well be a temporary measure".

About your other mods in review, Victor is contacting you so maybe you can sort something out or prioritise one of them.
Quote from Scawen :The rules are quite tough at the moment, as we really could not keep up with the rate of submission. One of your mods was approved within the last 7 days, so that's why your new submission couldn't be accepted today. Also there was a bug, but I'm not sure if that affected you.

Today we have been working on a plan for a new system. As mentioned in the first post, these current limits "may well be a temporary measure".

About your other mods in review, Victor is contacting you so maybe you can sort something out or prioritise one of them.

Thanks Scawen appreciate that!
Just thought id mention it as a bug. Could become a common issue as it seems reasonable to
update a mod while in submission before its accepted.
This thread is closed

New time limits for submitting mods and updates to mods [OBSOLETE]
(13 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG