The online racing simulator
Quote from Flame CZE :The clipping prevention makes some car sounds sound a bit odd. Here is a test in the STOCK CAR mod - I can hear some crackling tones in some rev ranges when the option is on and it sounds fine when it's off. Is it just me?

I'm really too busy to try and set this up, but is anyone able to set up a replay of a car that nearly suffers from clipping (for example, it has been set as loud as possible but with only very slight clipping or just not quite clipping). Then try running beside another one or two of the same car, to the point where the combined sound is clipping badly. That is something people have been complaining about, the multiple car sound problem. Hopefully the same thing happens in the MPR of that set up situation, then you can listen again with the anti-clip option enabled. If it could be done with a car that is on our system then I can watch the MPR too and see if there's anything else I can try.
Quote from Drifteris :While handling at low speeds been improved a lot, i feel like the balance at high speeds is a bit broken now.

Thanks for the feedback. Could you give me a replay or detailed description how to reproduce it, for example at a particular speed on a particular corner.

It is very tricky trying to get the bike working at low speeds but self adjusting to also work at high speeds. But if I have an example (at high speed) that is easily reproducible as better in the previous version, then I could try to figure out what is making it worse.
Quote from Scawen :set up a replay of a car that nearly suffers from clipping (for example, it has been set as loud as possible but with only very slight clipping or just not quite clipping). Then try running beside another one or two of the same car, to the point where the combined sound is clipping badly..

You want this replay done with LFS original cars? Example a XRR FZR side by. Side or the FBM?
I don't mind if it's mods or original cars. I'm not one of the people that knows best which cars cause the worst sound clipping problems, or in what situations. But it's best if the situation can be reproduced in an MPR. I can't run single player replays in the debugger.

I'd like to hear how the sound goes wrong in that situation and how it is helped (if at all) by the anti-clipping function. And the MPR is so I can run it over and over again.

But of course I don't want it done with 'stupid' car sounds. There is no hope of getting them right. I tried one car the other day and it was clipping nearly the whole time. I think whoever edited the sound didn't realise that the red "CLIPPING" in the top right, means something is wrong!
An editor update:

EDITOR changes from 0.6W45 to 0.6W51:

Increased maximum size of fuel tank to 600 litres
Object positions 'forward' value can now be set from -6m to +6m
Increased tyre section width to 600mm and rim width to 23 inches
Delete / merge subobject now preserves order of other subobjects
Enter new value for X/Y/Z - text entry initialised to current value
Front torque split setting now shown on the left below centre diff
FIX: Front torque split overlapped final drive ratio with 7 speeds
FIX: Load / save vehicle frame now uses data\frame folder (not frm)
FIX: Texture names were not always the same each time mod exported
FIX: Skin texture set in "page" screen vanished on reload textures
FIX: Editor display of "del" button for selected colour was wrong
FIX: Crash related to different materials on a mapping's cutouts
FIX: Badly adjusted bike screenshots as handlebars were ignored
FIX: Editor allowed the last remaining mapping to be deleted
FIX: Crash after loading an object with no mappings at all
FIX: Crash when setting Max Drag to a value near zero

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95664

NOTE: It says W50 on the entry screen when you start it - but it's OK
I only have one issue with the mods sistem. Can't they be downloaded like skins? I mean when you're entring a server. I have a pretty meh internet conection, so everytime i enter a mod server, lfs does't show the cars because it's downloading them and then crashes. The temporal solution is to enter the garage, but it would be nice to lfs to download mods while you're entering a sv. Besides that, congratulations on the new mods system, love it
Quote from Facu23 :it's downloading them and then crashes.

Seriously? Are you saying so casually that LFS crashes? Looking

If LFS crashes, I need the crash address (or offset) and exception code, that can be found in the Windows Event logs.

It is not acceptable for software to crash. Any crashes should be fixed ASAP.
Quote from Scawen :Seriously? Are you saying so casually that LFS crashes? Looking

If LFS crashes, I need the crash address (or offset) and exception code, that can be found in the Windows Event logs.

It crashes everytime i enter a server with mods that i dont have installed since first update. I taught it was normal haha. Where can i find lfs logs?
On bike handling. The updated version handles a lot better than before, but still there's a problem at low speeds.

Pardon my ignorance, if I misunderstood how it works, or if it's already done in some way.

If I got it right, bikes use direct steer input at speeds <7km/h, and the bike is kept upright with driver's virtual feet. But at >7km/h, steering input switches to control the desired lean angle, and LFS steers the wheel for you to maintain it.

After the recent update, it handles better, but between 7 and 20 km/h you still fall down too often. Here's a replay where I reproduced what happens: you steer and try stopping, but lean angle develops too quickly. It happens very often at such low speeds.

I've checked with the videos on bikes (1, 2, and see that in these speeds range you don't lean the bike so hard as in high-speed turns.

My question is: maybe the "desired lean" angle should be limited at low speeds? Like at 40 km/h there's no limit, but at 7 km/h the desired lean angle is near zero.

Another idea is to let the driver put a virtual foot inside the corner, if the speed of the foot speed is slow enough -- it may be slower than the bike, and 10 km/h is like slow jogging.
Attached files
Triebfahrzeugführer_WE2X_CB5014_2.spr - 19.3 KB - 99 views
Quote from Scawen :Seriously? Are you saying so casually that LFS crashes? Looking

Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61a60e72
Faulting module name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61a60e72
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Offset Error: 0x00129928
Faulting Process ID: 0x2c9c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e7950e101e9e
Faulting application path: C: \ LFS MODS \ LFS.exe
Faulting module path: C: \ LFS MODS \ LFS.exe
Report ID: d07fb60d-0dad-4abb-bbeb-bec7a843def0
Full name of the buggy package:

(edited for a more recent log)
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the feedback. Could you give me a replay or detailed description how to reproduce it, for example at a particular speed on a particular corner.

It is very tricky trying to get the bike working at low speeds but self adjusting to also work at high speeds. But if I have an example (at high speed) that is easily reproducible as better in the previous version, then I could try to figure out what is making it worse.

Using W51 game version did a few runs on Westhill around the track road that has fast corner near big car park:
Using "GOOD W50" setup that was stable on W50 the bike wobbles out quite fast. If you would take that corner on W50 with that setup the wobble would be hardly noticeable (maybe like 3-5% wobble).
Default Mosquito setup would wobble badly on that corner on W50 version.

Using "GOOD W51" setup adjusted to W51 the bike wobbles less but it gets stronger the longer the turn is.

And on Westhill international track:
Using "RACE" bike setup with R1 slicks on track and the bike wobbles hard on turn 4 till i crash. Can take that corner flat out on W50 version. I think some wobble is noticeable on W50, but still manageable.

Setups are attached. Also it seems to wobble more on medium speed turns as well if you lean A LOT (That's on W51 as well)
Attached files
bike test race track.spr - 27.2 KB - 107 views
bike test W50 setup.spr - 11.3 KB - 109 views
bike test W51 setup.spr - 14.9 KB - 111 views
CB5014_^6GOOD W51.set - 132 B - 275 views
CB5014_^1RACE.set - 132 B - 240 views
CB5014_^6GOOD W50.set - 132 B - 234 views
Quote from detail :On bike handling. The updated version handles a lot better than before, but still there's a problem at low speeds.
If I got it right, bikes use direct steer input at speeds <7km/h, and the bike is kept upright with driver's virtual feet. But at >7km/h, steering input switches to control the desired lean angle, and LFS steers the wheel for you to maintain it.

After the recent update, it handles better, but between 7 and 20 km/h you still fall down too often.

You are right about how it works, thanks for the feedback and I'll see if I can do something to reduce the lean a bit at such low speeds (but in a way that doesn't confuse the user).

Quote from Facu23 :Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61a60e72
Faulting module name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61a60e72
Offset Error: 0x00129928

Thanks! With this information I was able to track it to a line where it could crash drawing the virtual steerer (the curved thing that shows your steer input) for a vehicle that was not yet loaded. It's a simple fix after finding it. Smile

But, I think, the steerer is not usually drawn in TV camera view, but is drawn in "wheels" view by default, or "follow" view. So I would expect this crash to happen after you changed view, but not immediately when joining the host?

Quote from Drifteris :Using W51 game version did a few runs on Westhill around the track road that has fast corner near big car park:

Thanks for the information, I'll have a close look.
Hello, gentlemen.

Scawen, we need to use alpha channels on skin.dds with different materials. For body [DEFAULT] material alpha will tell the level of reflection, and for windows [WINDOW] material it will change the opacity (same as now, but reading the skin.dds). Thus we can use one texture for multiple purposes: window stickers/numbers and colored headlights (remember yellow eyed 911Gt3?), and body paint type from matte to gloss. It opens a big vatiety of car styles on same VOB just by skin texture.

And also it would be nice if textures can use longer names and shorter alpa flag "_A"for example, instead of "_ALPHA".

P.S.
I think those changes are more important than bikes and aeroplanes, sorry guys.
Quote from Snoop.DriftEra :P.S.
I think those changes are more important than bikes and aeroplanes, sorry guys.

I agree it would be convenient if skins could include an alpha texture. Unfortunately the whole way skins work at the moment, with the automatic download system, is tied in with them being JPG textures (JPG does not support alpha). So although it would be nice to have an alpha channel in skins, it would be the sort of change that would take a couple of weeks to do. There is no possibility of that being implemented before this mods system makes it to the official version.

Bike steering fixes on the other hand, there is a system already in place that needs a few adjustments. The bike has been a massively popular mod, so to spend a few hours making it more fun makes a lot of sense.

It would be madness for me to think about major graphical updates in the old (currently public) graphics system. I hope you know we have a completely new graphics system under development.
Scawen i dont think what is bug i thunk its mistake: when u turnoff engine u just disable throttle and set idle rpm to zero but dont calculate compressed air resistance in cylinders. in game prm at turnedoff engine go down slow (3-4 seconds) but in real life its go down in 1-1.5 seconds
Quote from denis-takumi :Scawen i dont think what is bug i thunk its mistake: when u turnoff engine u just disable throttle and set idle rpm to zero but dont calculate compressed air resistance in cylinders. in game prm at turnedoff engine go down slow (3-4 seconds) but in real life its go down in 1-1.5 seconds

How is that related to the mods system? It sounds like an issue for all cars.
Quote from Flame CZE :How is that related to the mods system? It sounds like an issue for all cars.

I do not argue, but I noticed this only now, when I was testing the sound of the starter
Quote from Scawen :I'd be interested if this was confirmed.

Later this day i'm going to make some tests and hope to find a temporal solution. Are your saying that virtual steering wheel is causing lfs to crash?

Also, the mods download becomes incredibly slow after 21:00 gmt-3 (00:00 UTC). I have to wait at least 4 minutes for a mod to download, i sent some messages and it appears to be a common issue at least in south america
Test Patch W52

It contains some minor fixes and an important one - a crash that could come up if you joined a server and viewed other players using mods that were not yet downloaded to your computer.

I wasn't able to improve bike handling in time for this one, but it's worth an update anyway. Use the auto-updater by clicking List of Hosts or manually install by following the link below.

Changes from W51 to W52:

FIX: Crash that could come up when viewing not yet downloaded mods

-
(denis-takumi) DELETED by Scawen : irrelevant
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : irrelevant
Quote from Scawen :Test Patch W52

It contains some minor fixes and an important one - a crash that could come up if you joined a server and viewed other players using mods that were not yet downloaded to your computer.

I wasn't able to improve bike handling in time for this one, but it's worth an update anyway. Use the auto-updater by clicking List of Hosts or manually install by following the link below.

Changes from W51 to W52:

FIX: Crash that could come up when viewing not yet downloaded mods

The crash still hapening. This time i didin't even got time to enter the server

Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61aa28de
Faulting module name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61aa28de
Offset Error: 0x000352fb
Faulting Process ID: 0x12a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e85c17c393a5
Faulting application path: C: \ LFS MODS \ LFS.exe
Faulting module path: C: \ LFS MODS \ LFS.exe
Report ID: 21f4a25a-ea80-487b-b6c7-339edc691ebb
Full name of the buggy package:
Relative application identifier of the faulting package:
Thanks for reporting it. It's not the same crash. This is a different one, also related to cars that have not yet downloaded. In this case it is when handicaps are applied to the cars.

This shows the importance of reporting crashes. We can get them fixed! Smile
Quote from Facu23 :The crash still hapening. This time i didin't even got time to enter the server

Faulting application name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61aa28de
Faulting module name: LFS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61aa28de
Offset Error: 0x000352fb

Thanks again for the crash report. I decided to upload the fix for this one, so we can see if you get any other different crashes related to mods that have not yet downloaded. And hopefully gives you a better chance of staying online!

It's in the form of a zip file. Direct download below. You only need the LFS.exe from the zip, if you already have W52.

Changes from W52 to W53

Removed feature that enabled "Window while connecting" on new patch
FIX: Crash related to applying handicaps to not yet downloaded mods

https://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_W43_TO_W53.zip
Removed feature that enabled "Window while connecting" on new patch

Thumbs up
-
(thegamer147) DELETED by thegamer147
Quote from Scawen :I hope you know we have a completely new graphics system under development.

Sure. I just needed to know that you keep that idea in mind. And thank you once again for mod decision, sadly it took 15 years))).
Quote from thegamer147 :Hi again, do you think there is a way to fix this ? because it's getting really annoying when you have a lot of cars leaving pits the stutters/ freezes become worse and it's almost unplayable

I don't think there is a simple way to improve this. It would be a variety of measures, every one of them quite complicated. The general idea is to avoid loading everything all at once when a car first appears, and instead, schedule them for individual loading over the coming seconds or minutes. So the code would need to be rewritten to work without those things loaded and remember to load them at a later point. Some of this is already done. Textures are not immediately loaded for remote cars, if your own car is on the track and moving.

I guess I would have to look at all the other things like not loading audio files at first, loading driver animation a bit later, maybe not creating the wheels until some time has passed. The trouble is these are all the kind of things that can take several hours each to try and code them and there are are many things way higher on the priority list, like actual bugs or problems that affect everyone.

Thousands of things happen when a car is loaded. I don't know which ones may be causing the worst problems for you as I haven't seen any of these stutters, although my computer is really quite old (around 10 years). It is a good computer though and has SSD instead of spinning hard drives. I wonder what is slowing it down on your computer. Do you have a slow hard drive? Could you benefit from a memory increase? My son uses LFS on a budget non-gaming laptop that is more than 3 years old. It had severe problems (generally, nothing to do with LFS) with its original 4GB memory, but has been much better since we added another 4GB of memory.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG