The online racing simulator
#1 - Gunn
I won't be attempting this again anytime soon...
Wrapping a gradient chequered pattern around the arse of the FZR is testing the limits of my patience (and my sanity). I've reached the point of no return now so I must try to finish it.

Moral: don't get your ambitions mixed up with your capabilities.
Attached images
RuftweeksFzr.JPG
You tell me, a long time ago I decided to make team skins for all cars, and guess what they all had vertical gradients going through the entire car, which I needed to manually connect sides-back and sides-front, it was a nightmare but I got better at doing it.
It is a very solid effort, you could propably hide the mismatched checkers by having striped design that blends in with the green background color Big grin But that might not look so great compared to getting the design just right over the fenders.

A small thing that i found helpful for myself when wrapping designs around different parts of the skin was to think more "in 3D", as in not just applying a 2D pattern over the skin but instead making it flow according to the pro-kit wireframe, in the top part of the fenders i would for example curve the checkered pattern to avoid the pattern "consuming itself" and then adjust the side according to how it looks at the top. Maybe it could be worth a shot?

Here's a very crude example of what i mean:

Maybe Photoshop has good tools to adjust the pattern as a whole instead of trying to apply each "checker" manually though Big grin
Attached images
example.jpg
#5 - Gunn
Quote from nikopdr :It is a very solid effort, you could propably hide the mismatched checkers by having striped design that blends in with the green background color Big grin But that might not look so great compared to getting the design just right over the fenders.

A small thing that i found helpful for myself when wrapping designs around different parts of the skin was to think more "in 3D", as in not just applying a 2D pattern over the skin but instead making it flow according to the pro-kit wireframe, in the top part of the fenders i would for example curve the checkered pattern to avoid the pattern "consuming itself" and then adjust the side according to how it looks at the top. Maybe it could be worth a shot?

Maybe Photoshop has good tools to adjust the pattern as a whole instead of trying to apply each "checker" manually though Big grin

Thanks, that's what I'm already doing. I don't use Photoshop though, I'm using a vector program and lining up the pattern directly with the polygons of the wireframe - that's why it is taking so long. You should have seen how it looked a few days ago Big grin

My software has tools to manipulate the whole pattern to better fit the model, but the edges still need fudging to make it work, and that's where it becomes a labour of love.
I applaud you for using vector program, I've also made all Fragmaster team skins in Illustrator.

Brazillian skin masters have been very efficient in using 3d portion of Photoshop to make skins. They are able to do stuff that Illustrator just cant do.
#7 - Gunn
Quote from NumberTwo :I applaud you for using vector program, I've also made all Fragmaster team skins in Illustrator.

Brazillian skin masters have been very efficient in using 3d portion of Photoshop to make skins. They are able to do stuff that Illustrator just cant do.

I'm using Corel Draw 9. It's the same software I used to create all of the Pro Kits. I like to use vectors because any asset I create can be re-scaled to any size without loss of quality, and I love the clarity and precision vector brings to the table.
#8 - Tazka
Quote from Gunn :I'm using Corel Draw 9. It's the same software I used to create all of the Pro Kits. I like to use vectors because any asset I create can be re-scaled to any size without loss of quality, and I love the clarity and precision vector brings to the table.

You did all the pro kits? Thank you sir. They have been very helpful for the last 15 years. Big grin
#9 - Gunn
Quote from Tazka :You did all the pro kits? Thank you sir. They have been very helpful for the last 15 years. Big grin

Comments like yours are the best reward for my hard work and patience. Thank You, it means a lot to me that I invested my time into something that has been useful for so many years.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG