The online racing simulator
Automatic skin stretching
Hey there! I was fiddling around with ImageMagick.
This gave me the idea to split a skin image to multiple (stretched) images.

Users can edit these images to their liking. They should not be concerned with skin stretching. A script could combine these images into the original skin image again.

In the attached zip you can find a script (works on unix systems) that cuts out the right and left sides of the XRT skin, and stretches them to 150%.

I want to turn this into a useable tool for everyone. Anyone like to help work this out?

The app/script should;
- Split (and resizes) parts of a skin
- Combines these split files into a single skin file again
- Work on Windows

Please let me what you think!

Stan aka Boer Tarrel
Attached files
autocrop.zip - 3.1 MB - 238 views
Tnx for this, it's a good idea.
How to make it work in windows?
Cool to hear you like it, Rane! ImageMagick works on windows, and is well supported with Python. I guess python is the way to go, to create a cross platform script.

I'll have a look into it, so i can develop it further
..thinking it over again..
Maybe it's better if I just finish the bash script(s) so they work correctly on mac/linux. Then I hope someone can help me out with making these work Windows..
#5 - Gunn
Just a minor point which may affect your result - not all areas of the skin stretch evenly. It depends on how the mapping has been done and the shape of the model. So, while a general multiplier is very useful and time-saving, some areas of the skin may still require special attention and tweaking.

Hope this helps.
This is what I was thinking about for some time, though I had a slightly different idea. My approarch would be to create svg files from Master Skinners' templates, so there are wiring (polygons) layers in them. Then combining them in a single svg or jpg/other file with wiring hidden and (maybe) watermark added on the skin background. I think I could help with that.
#7 - Gunn
Quote from -verde- :This is what I was thinking about for some time, though I had a slightly different idea. My approarch would be to create svg files from Master Skinners' templates, so there are wiring (polygons) layers in them. Then combining them in a single svg or jpg/other file with wiring hidden and (maybe) watermark added on the skin background. I think I could help with that.

I'm curious to know how you will convert a PSD layer into a SVG.
psd2svg + vectorizing layers in Inkscape, that's what I think about it.
#9 - Gunn
Quote from -verde- :psd2svg + vectorizing layers in Inkscape, that's what I think about it.

It won't be as good as the real thing. If I can find my old version of Inkscape I can convert the original CDR vectors to SVG. I remember releasing one of the kits that way a few years ago.

* the latest versions of Inkscape no longer handle the old CDR files.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG