The online racing simulator
Sequential gearbox shifting issue
(8 posts, started , go to first unread)
Quote from tumes925semut :i set up server named "TEST SERVER FOR 0.6U13" running in finland

tried it now.

and tried to see if i got my downshift issue fixed and what it means to my steering on kb.

i think i got alot more smoother steering now. thank you for that.

i also tested gearshifting as i have issues on especially sequential gearbox cars.

and thats exactly what this replay show i cant do in some instances.

debating a bit back and forth. and no real race driving.

so thought it would be easier to upload a replay also for other racers to perhaps better understand my issue in racing.

which did not get fixed in this patch. but it seems i can work around it with a little practice.

im also uploading it if scawen needs data from it. because this is a really weird issue.
by doing so i just hope it get fixed at some point. but as we talked about in rep too it might be a car update needed. meaning it probably will be fixed but in the future.

i tried with FO8/FXR,FZR,FXR 32% restriction(thats not good)and erhm. rb4 i think .

when i go out from pitlane. it doesnt seem so but i actually try to downshift on hill top.
which it obviously dont do in some cases. and thats the thing. "in some cases" only.

well youre the expert. im just trying to feedback on what i see.
but i do feel and see a better smoothness overall. also with steering. being on kb.
thank you for this update.

EDIT: same replay seen from kagurazakayukari view:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1962074#post1962074

EDIT: adding one more replay for kagurazakayukari to make comparison.
it seems to relate to latency according to this. and that seems rather impossible to solve.
Attached files
u13 patch test^ssteer^sshifting.mpr - 1.2 MB - 14 views
kagurazakayukari test u13.mpr - 615.1 KB - 12 views
Quote from Scawen :I don't think so. I could be wrong though as it's a complex system. But do you get this shifting problem reliably enough to know if it happens in single player or only in multiplayer?

As far as I know, that is not your problem. I'm guessing you have a good ping to the server, if I remember the server was started in Finland? But if kagurazakayukari is connecting from China, then it is his distance from the server that causes this problem.

My only point is that I expect kagurazakayukari would see this type of lag from anyone else who is connected to the server, not specifically Wizard DK.

i detect a very small side way effect on his car.

but so small i wouldnt notice in a race.
after i wrote here i tried in bf1.
for some reason i did not have shift issues in bf1 but all other cars with sequential gearbox.
it shifts as should.

what you said here would infact also explain what i experience in races.
so i guess i can call that finally solved about my shifting issue.
ping related / lag.
i have multiple ways to go around that in my own driving. but will take some time to get used to it i think. but atleast i know what im dealing with now.

sorry i missed this one :
Quote from Scawen :I don't think so. I could be wrong though as it's a complex system. But do you get this shifting problem reliably enough to know if it happens in single player or only in multiplayer?

it comes online when more than 5 online . mostly in servers with more people on spectate.
it also shows itself when someone near me in namelist has a very high ping as in this test.
it also shows in short peaks when someone enters or leave server. so it is actually alot.
it feels almost like im being controlled some times from elsewhere. coz loosing grip and therefore sterring which often results in fast shifting down to catch the rear or the car, and this is when it wont shift down resulting in me going full speed into a wall or likewise.

it comes and goes so i really never know when to expect it. it just comes.
i have seen this in singleplayer some time ago(i think i was on U11 then) too when i tested if it only did this in online sessions.
it did in singplayer atleast 2 times that day i remember. perhaps more.(loose testing).
but its defo there. in singleplayer it is by far less than in online.
but its really showing on in racing at times which im fully aware isnt a good thing especially in close battles. so i developed some different techniques to compensate for it. not all works but those that does are those i will try to get used too. i show different shifts in second replay also used for the video actually. thats why it shifts weird in the end of video. to see if it got stuck in a gear. it obviously didnt when i tried that. which we also spoke about because it is NOT persistant as to specific places on track. but it comes and goes whenever it feels like it sort of. it literally have showed up even when parked just fast shifting up n down. it shows mostly in GTR and some single seaters like fo8 it slike Fzr, not so much. XRR less or same as fzr. FXR very much. if restricted to around 23-32% on engine its getting even worse ,at times impossible to drive even. it is persistant by holding the gas down while trying to shift the gears down too. that is impossible almost. releasing gas i can brake. contrary if i am on brakes and shift down. no trouble.so to me it could perhaps related to the throttle too. which is why this issue is sooo confusing to figure out too. sorry i didnt see this at first. small edit.

i dont think its a "new" thing really. because i remember shifting issues all the way back the cTRA days and Cargame too. FXR i remember especially i had massive trouble shifting. it could be lag back then too as i also remember flickering cars etc. but that part is fixed today.

thank you for reply again Scawen. it helped me alot.

kagurazakayukari ping varied from around 270-500 at peaks but stabile around 290-310 ping.
my own ping was at top peaks around 70. but mostly around 60. normally i got only 40 in ping.
if that is of any help.

EDIT:
for racers who has seen me fly sideways into walls or see me flickering online.
well there you have it. my issue i can not solve from my part. sorry for that.

Quote from Flotch :isn't just because you are using air intake restriction ? it is a known issue when you set this setting that sequential gearbox refuses to shift time to time. There are some topics about in the forums.

it is also when no restriction applied.
im aware . and updated my post with that too now. sorry i didnt think of it initially when typing.
in one of the replays i tried to go full speed down straight and fast shift down while holding the gas on.
no reaction to downshift whatsoever. it did literally nothing. pressed like 10 times none went through to actually shift. in a race that would most likely be seen as me being a terrible driver. fully understandable, i prolly would too. but when downshift does nothing. well. accidents do happen.
as described above , this does happen alot to me. and i too see it as bad racing. but as shown , it is something i can do little or even nothing about. but sorry to those i have hit because of it.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :...

however im still thinking about if this is infact related to my shifting issue?

isn't just because you are using air intake restriction ? it is a known issue when you set this setting that sequential gearbox refuses to shift time to time. There are some topics about in the forums.
@Scawen
just for reference.
in case you find a solution for this i be happy to test it.
Quote from Flotch :What I think it is linked to : https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/91121-FO8-upshifting-glitch%3F
May be wrong, but I remember doing some tests with air intake restriction and getting the same issue, while without it is not (never) the case.

i spoke with microspec in that thread about it. he didnt think it was related.

thing is.

the thread describes the upshift glitch, which is known for years.

but.

my issue is downshift. completely reversed.
but scawen more or less already answered it as being latency, meaning high ping.
it can cause the issue i got. so what i will do now is try the different variations i developed to get around or compensate for it while online, practice untill i am sure one of them atleast can work.
some may have seen me fast flashing lights while in braking. this is because i have to brake, release brake,downshift,brake,release brake,downshift, in every gear. so being in 6th going to example 2end. thats alot of things to press in correct order for it even to work. all that while you steer aswell.
but i think by making slower shifts and take more use of engine brake ,in theory i should be able to get around the downshift issue. (it works sometimes for now). so i sort of have to get used to whole new hand and finger movements. and even that have to also match a car setup that can work with that type of press. so im also gonna probably have to use different setups too on some combos. but i will try to get it to work. but as seen, can fail miserably in some instances.

as i understand it, its like, when someone with a high or bad ping comes online. this transmits to my good ping. so both would be seen from third person as bad ping.

(did i get it right mr S?).

this has btw been a suspecting theory of mine for many years, especially at Cargame back in the day.
i noticed when someone had a ping above 150 in namelist next to me, my ping started to jump too. when they left. my ping did not jump. i could also tell on the screen. in some panorama angles it distorted the image on screen as it would if you dont use v-sync. especially when pings are high. i had lines across the screen. it still happens to me today but i dont see it my own car as Scawen also explained,but it will show in a MPR. therefore i wouldnt know it. thats what the video showed sort of. but i even spoke to many about this but most discarded it without thought. few had same problem as me and therefore also noticed the issue comes at times when high pings are present online. i know it sounds far out. but thats kind of how it is. but now confirmed. thats a major diff. because troubleshooting this issue is more or less impossible when you dont really know what CAN cause the issue. thats why it helped me alot in the other thread. then i know i cant help it. and its not my fault either. its just there.

i also lost incredible many races because of this. i remember a FXR (maybe res 32% or 23%) where i had someone behind me from being in 1st place. and i also knew i could get around a 90 degree turn faster than him, but then no shift happened and i think i ended being 12 or so :/ because one downshift didnt work ...

few weeks ago i had some ,to me, good races with wcl jake. i think there were like 3 people online.
in this instance i had no trouble shifting either up or down. but at some point more logged in and graduately i could tell my steering and shifting got more uncontrollable. but all racing until that specific point, everything worked. i dont remember how many races that was but a few. it was very noticable as people just slowly logged in so i could sort see it happening in slow motion right infront of me.
i think i told jake thanks for good racing but i cant control the car now or something. so im also aware if i continue to drive it ,it is with a risk of major crash. which i also did recently when only one in a gtr. in one lap i think i crashed 3 times into walls. because all others was in multiclass, but around 15 onlline some with very high ping. so i simply couldnt shift and that can be fatal. i also gave up in the end for that reason.logged off.

EDIT:

As far as I know, that is not your problem. I'm guessing you have a good ping to the server, if I remember the server was started in Finland? But if kagurazakayukari is connecting from China, then it is his distance from the server that causes this problem.

My only point is that I expect kagurazakayukari would see this type of lag from anyone else who is connected to the server, not specifically Wizard DK.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1962083#post1962083
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1962107#post1962107
Quote from kagurazakayukari :So here it is. Recorded at 300ms+ latency.

Also notice both advantage and disadvantage brought by high pps rate.

It also explains my theory posted at https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1962069#post1962069

and why that mattered to me or my game :
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1962080#post1962080
indeed. If not related to air intake restriction, and due to ping : then it is very strange : how you shift is not handled by the server, but your own machine, so having a huge ping shall not affect your downshift at first sight ...
and that did not make it any less strange Smile

Sequential gearbox shifting issue
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG