The online racing simulator
True global leauge feasible?
(8 posts, started )
#1 - Chaos
Hello LFS planet Wink

I got backing from a large sponsor, who would be interested in running a true global LFS league, with some really interesting prices. Do you guys think its possible? I raced the League of Nations back in the days with a lot of people from around the world, but know that there were some issues with racers connecting from Australia to European servers... What is your experience with racing on servers with higher pings? What ping is maximum for you to enjoy a race without many lags?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys, I'll keep you posted on the development Wink
Quote from Chaos :I got backing from a large sponsor, who would be interested in running a true global LFS league, with some really interesting prices. Do you guys think its possible?

Sure!

Quote from Chaos :I raced the League of Nations back in the days with a lot of people from around the world, but know that there were some issues with racers connecting from Australia to European servers... What is your experience with racing on servers with higher pings? What ping is maximum for you to enjoy a race without many lags?

From my experience North America to Europe is alright. South America to Europe gets dicey. Oceania to Europe is pretty bad. But to be blunt, I haven't seen a regular from Oceania is ages. Apart from ping, timezones is an issue for them.

That said Oceania to Europe is possible, though it kind of depends of the type of racing you're aiming for. Touring car style racing will be a mixed bag. But I remember Australians racing in endurance and being mostly fine, apart from maybe the occasional time out. Especially if someone from elsewhere in the world is taking start duties.
Racing with high pings is possible, but it takes cooperation. In a competitive environment with fast cars, it would be a stretch to have racers from around the world on a EU server.

It can be downright impossible to pass a high ping player who is defending their position aggressively, even if you are a couple seconds faster per lap in open air.

I have gotten some complaints racing in events with a 120 ping, though dropped packets could have been the problem. Things like sudden sharp steering adjustments and sudden braking can cause problems. If a high ping player does not adjust their driving style, it can be annoying. But if they go the other way and take advantage of a high ping, it can be unfair and not fun.

I would restrict a league with substantial prizes to Europe only. But if the goal is just raising global awareness about LFS, just choose a slow car and make sure high ping players aren't dropping tons of packets.
Sure, I'd be up for this challenge Big grin

It's possible to race against higher ping players as there are a few faster south american drivers frequenting GTI and FOX (hi RP) and it's possible to drive quite close and have nice racing going on but it requires both to be a bit more fair than usual as any contact with over 200ms ping difference can cause some issues when contact occurs, as taps do tend to multiply in force if one of the cars has bad luck and updates path just at the wrong time Tongue it has it's own risks, but when there is enough skill at play everyone should be able to estimate the lag behaviour when manoveuring around the track Tongue
Quote from nikopdr :Sure, I'd be up for this challenge Big grin

It's possible to race against higher ping players as there are a few faster south american drivers frequenting GTI and FOX (hi RP) and it's possible to drive quite close and have nice racing going on but it requires both to be a bit more fair than usual as any contact with over 200ms ping difference can cause some issues when contact occurs, as taps do tend to multiply in force if one of the cars has bad luck and updates path just at the wrong time Tongue it has it's own risks, but when there is enough skill at play everyone should be able to estimate the lag behaviour when manoveuring around the track Tongue

I second this, I have high ping and have had several really nice battles anywho. @OP here's some examples - take note my ping ranges from 210 to 300 here

While your ping is usually high Nova, it's also normally very stable. Problems arise from unstable pings. I've had terrible races with people with relatively low pings because their ping fluctuated a lot.
#7 - Chaos
Thanks guys for the replies, much appreciated Wink Hold on, something is brewing Wink
I got to say...
The only solution is devide US EU AS &other areas on each region servers....

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG