The online racing simulator
Help Create an LFS How To Video
So this next event I am setting up for, is going to be VERY busy, so they requested that I drop the race time for each player to only a few minutes. This is far to short of time, for new players to have much fun, however it may be possible, if I can ditch the practice lap, and the "this button does this" that I have to say over and over again, often to the same players...

If I had a monitor playing a "how to" video for those waiting in line, then I should be able to save time by not having to repeat myself so many times each driver change. So often I say things like "use the right paddle behind the wheel to change, and put the car in first gear", and 2 seconds later that same person, asks how to change gears.... these days, unless there is some animated video on an LCD screen playing in their face people will not pay attention.

I doubt there is time to put something like this together before this event, and I will likely have to settle for printed signs that no one will even look at, however I will have other events to use this for.

If anyone can contribute to this, by creating fairly good looking video, maybe even a cartoon?!
Please help! -

I would like to start with an animation of some sort that shows, and zooms in on the controls, or at least the most important buttons/pedals. The Wheel itself to steer, the gas pedal, the brake, the shift paddles, auto-trans-default. The rest is not as important... or can be in a separate part of video.

Second I would like to tell them how to get the car moving, and around the track, specifically at the start of a race, since I will likely just throw them onto the start line to save time.
This will tell them to WAIT for the green, after 3 reds and a random delay, then to shift into gear, and step on it.... I could avoid this if it would automatically put newbies into 1st gear.

Then what the race line is... as I usually turn that on for newbies.
Primarily that they need to BRAKE before/when it turns red...

Then, it needs to tell them how to use the reset button, which is programed to the big round one, inside the red circle, on the G29 wheels that I use. It needs to tell them it only works at a dead stop, or when traffic is clear...

Then, maybe:

How to use the track map in the corner, green dot is them, etc....

Quick video of how to apex a corner... driving tips etc.

Then it would just repeat...
Attached images
Projectors01.png
So far this sucks, but better then nothing I guess... hahaha

Still working on it...
Smile
Better then I can make Wink
Quote from SimulatorRental.com : these days, unless there is some animated video on an LCD screen playing in their face people will not pay attention.

I've read your problem description and all I can say is... You need to (have someone which) code(s) an InSim. But it's best to learn it yourself because then you can easily make adjustments.

I don't know if you played any Nintendo the last years (its mosly for kids and parents). But these games have helper clouds which gives tips in a timed fashion and/or based on location.

InSim is just text and can produce some extreme basic graphics at best, but it sure can do most of its job of being informal.
Yes, I need to use insim… and would rather learn to do it myself.

It would be nice to have an: If Neutral and If lots of reving, then display a message to tell them to put it in gear, and or just do it for them.

Or: If on-wall and reving for X time, reset car, or display message to reset car or use reverse.

Lots of ideas, but I wont know how I want to do it, until I know how insim works etc... as knowing how it works will very likely change how I want to do it, or give new ideas.

For now, I do not know it, so crappy video.... lol

I started over, with better graphics, still no where near complete....

I think both videos are fine, and better than I could have come up with!

I think you should add bit about signage; on most Blackwood straights, there are both countdown markers (100, 50) and arrow signs to show which way the next turn goes.

I would imagine most people, even with the mini map, aren't sure which way to go, so prompting to look out for corner signs might help, and where there are countdown markers, these are usually placed at corners where you need to do a lot of braking.

Also, break up video a bit with some on track examples - show start lights go green, show how to put car in gear, show how to press down on gas. First corner, look at direction sign to see which way to go, and look at distance markers to give you an idea of where to brake (150 might be early for most turns, and 50 is getting late!).

Lots of people will crash, so show a crash, and how to reset to get car repaired (press button, get in gear, press gas to go).

Maybe show them screenshot of the car they'll be driving, and what its top speed is. Big maybe - let them know what the WR is for the track/car combo is, and if only they are as good as they think they are ...!!

InSim - I once did a layout where I provided option for "Pace Notes" - for example, see my YouTube video - HERE Skip first 1 min 20 secs, and turn sound down a bit.

Plus, don't know how long normal queue time may be, but maybe time your video to show at least twice during this waiting time. First time, most people may not realise what its meant for, and 2nd time gives them time to take it in.

Lastly, show some bloopers of people getting it totally wrong - let the new drivers know what the competition is like!

Good luck Thumbs up
Latest version:

Slowly teaching myself power point. Smile

There is a lot I intend to add to the video... including racing tips, racing line, apexing, etc...

I hope to do a real life video of someone sitting in cockpit seeing screen, hands, and feet only. of a race start. With hopefully nothing in the back ground, wich means setting up a sim some were with white walls or something lol.

First I want to get in what is needed for them to use the controls.

5th Version (Deleted the rest)

Will be using this, unless I find more time to work on it.

Will make future changes based on how well, or poorly, it works.
Quote from SimulatorRental.com :

5th Version (Deleted the rest)

Will be using this, unless I find more time to work on it.

Will make future changes based on how well, or poorly, it works.

Very good vid Thumbs up

May I suggest adding little texts next to some physical buttons on the steering wheel? (especially engine/TC/pitlimiter/handbrake stuff) - I think people will otherwise struggle to remember position of each function.
Thanks.

I think about 10% or less of the people that went through the line actually looked at the video...

And A LOT of people went through the line...
I was only doing 3 lap races, and the line was always LONG.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG