The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :That is because there is no code to deal with wind strength. They don't adjust their style to deal with wind. For example if there was a strong tailwind down a straight, they might not brake in time for the corner.

Simple explanation :-) Thanks
I was starting a AI race with 32 cars. Looks like the AIs ignore "Blue Flags"? :-) The last car "blocks" the first one. I don't know if that now happen because of AI behavior changes in the last patch (U) or if that happen already in previous versions?

Hardware question:
Can you already say if hardware requirements (GPU) after the graphics update will change? As far as I understand, the shader version will not change. But are 512 MB of VRAM still sufficient (current specification on the website)? I doubt that currently because that amazing track pictures from the progress report can't be done with only 512 MB VRAM, not?
Attached images
ai-blue-flag.jpg
Quote from Pasci :I was starting a AI race with 32 cars. Looks like the AIs ignore "Blue Flags"? :-) The last car "blocks" the first one. I don't know if that now happen because of AI behavior changes in the last patch (U) or if that happen already in previous versions?

Hardware question:
Can you already say if hardware requirements (GPU) after the graphics update will change? As far as I understand, the shader version will not change. But are 512 MB of VRAM still sufficient (current specification on the website)? I doubt that currently because that amazing track pictures from the progress report can't be done with only 512 MB VRAM, not?

Assuming the tracks are in the same level of detail as rockingham, with 10 AI cars and full graphics settings it used 247 megabytes, so most likely it will be enough the tracks being updated, if the day/night transition gets added i doubt it would take up the remaining 265mb
Attached images
Capture.JPG
Not sure if there's a separate VR test thread, but I tried U6 with Oculus Quest wirelessly using SteamVR emulation (ALVR) and LFS works beautifully, flawless 6 DOF tracking.
Quote from Matrixi :Not sure if there's a separate VR test thread, but I tried U6 with Oculus Quest wirelessly using SteamVR emulation (ALVR) and LFS works beautifully, flawless 6 DOF tracking.

For real? How's the latency?
Thanks for the info. It's always good to hear about LFS working on different VR devices. I'm interested to know how it runs on the Valve Index when that starts shipping - hopefully no fixes will be needed for it.
I have been reading that the index works at 90Hz or 120Hz.I really hope it does 100Hz to sync perfectly with lfs!
Quote from mbutcher :For real? How's the latency?

Wouldn't be able to tell it's wireless from the latency.

Some very minor compression artifacts at 30 Mbps in darker shadow'y areas, also tried 70 Mbps but started to notice slight latency even with H265. 30 Mbps is more than fine for sim racing in any case.

Planning to get a Valve Index at some point, the launch price is bit too steep for my wallet.
Quote from loopingz :I have been reading that the index works at 90Hz or 120Hz.I really hope it does 100Hz to sync perfectly with lfs!

With an experimental mode at 144 Hz ! Big grin
But we don't need it for lfs. 100Hz is the lfs grail.
Quote from loopingz :But we don't need it for lfs. 100Hz is the lfs grail.

For now, maybe the new physics will run at higher frequency and/or have extrapolation
-
(GT4_PL) DELETED by Scawen : spam
Scawen, could ultrawide (21:9) resolution be fixed for certain cameras? Inside and outside is fine but top down, cinematic and shift+U free cameras are all in 16:9
Quote from Drifteris :Scawen, could ultrawide (21:9) resolution be fixed for certain cameras? Inside and outside is fine but top down, cinematic and shift+U free cameras are all in 16:9

It's an option:

Options - View - Full width external views
Quote from Matrixi :Wouldn't be able to tell it's wireless from the latency.

Some very minor compression artifacts at 30 Mbps in darker shadow'y areas, also tried 70 Mbps but started to notice slight latency even with H265. 30 Mbps is more than fine for sim racing in any case.

Planning to get a Valve Index at some point, the launch price is bit too steep for my wallet.

That's very interesting.

I'm tempted by the Valve Index, but I can't warrant it when I get such a good experience for the price I got my Rift for.
1.Contact turning feature should be added
2.The key in the far left corner doesn't work at all?
3.Why is the petrol and key symbol still running when the ignition is switched off?
4.No engine damage symbol(I don't say pressure)

Thank you for taking the time to read.
These must be corrected

translate sorry
Attached images
1.JPG
Quote from EfsaneTosun :
3.Why is the petrol and key symbol still running when the ignition is switched off?

My car shows the petrol all the time it is running or not, so i don't think that's an issue Big grin
Quote from crazyboy232 :My car shows the petrol all the time it is running or not, so i don't think that's an issue Big grin

same
Just got myself an Oculus Rift, and wow - what an experience in LFS!

As an aside, what is next amazing after feeling like you're inside a car, on an actual track, is that I'm more able to control slides. Before, a slide was that bit between going where I was aiming, and reaching the scene of the accident. Won't say I'm good, but a slide isn't the bit before spectating anymore!

One thing I do find annoying though (!) is everytime I get in a different car, I have to go into SHIFT O, and reset the Y offset from 0.000 to 0.200, else I'm sitting behind the (headless) driver, looking through them - in the non-single seaters, it's like I'm sitting in the back seat.

Headless driver with Y Offset at 0.000 / Control O settings / View after Y Offset changed to max

It might be the way I've set up my Rift - I don't have much space, and I set it up in a hurry, and on monitor the yaw is quite bad, as you can see from attached, but it's the proper view with Rift on.

Assuming this just isn't the way my Rift is setup, would it be worth making default view for 3D devices like the Rift to be full Y offset, rather than zero?
Attached images
LFS Rift Y Offset.png
Good to hear you are enjoying LFS in VR.

A Y offset should of course not be necessary and that's the first time I've heard of it. This must be something to do with your starting position for the Rift. When you first enter VR you normally click "OK" when you are in your seated position. The position issue you are reporting sounds as if you were sitting too far forward when you clicked "OK".

But with normal settings I would have thought you would notice that the next time you went into VR mode. Maybe you have set the option to "Store driving position" which prevents the position being reset each time you enter VR?

I can't remember exactly where the options are, but I think it is "Tracking setup" at the top right of View Options to do the setup again. The "Store driving position" is below the AA options and the default option is 'no'.

EDIT: Also you can do the seating position setup at any time with the command /vr reset which is assigned to F8 by default.
I have yet to find a game that feels so at home with VR as LFS does. All the features in the test patch make a big difference in my dads rift dk2 also
Test Patch U7:

Force Feedback:

New settings are available under Axes / FF in Options - Controls
FF Steps maximum value is now 10000 (the maximum in DirectInput)
FF Rate is now controlled by a user setting (25 / 50 / 100 Hz)

VR:

Names over cars could fade differently in each eye in Pimax headset

Misc:

Gearshift debounce maximum setting restored to 200 ms (default 20)
More translations updated - thank you translators!

Download: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/93185
The idea of the new settings is for high end, direct drive FF wheels you may wish to go for the maximum value of FF Steps and FF Rate. This will give you the maximum number of updates from LFS physics, at the maximum resolution allowed by DirectInput.

On lower end wheels (standard wheels with gears or belts) there will not be so much benefit in going for these high update rates and there may be a CPU cost and possibly lag if you go for the full unlimited rate. So I suggest you don't go higher than you need if the difference is not noticeable on your wheel.

About the connection between visual frame rates and force feedback:

In the old system there was a reason to go for higher frame rates to get more immediate force feedback. But this is now controlled by these user settings and there should be no reason to go higher than 100 fps (LFS physics update rate).
So basically the default values of FFsteps=400 and FFrate=50 should be fine for a wheel like DFGT?
I think so, yes, and I think that should feel a bit more direct and immediate than previous versions. But please do tell me if not, because it's hard to know and these default settings involve some guessing! It seemed fine on my G27 but I haven't tested on other wheels.
-
(emiljensen2) DELETED by emiljensen2
FFB feels better (with default values), slightly different. I have tried modifying the values of frequency and steps, but I am not enough expert to get what I may feel diferent with Big grin
This thread is closed

Test Patch U16: Updates and fixes
(392 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG