The online racing simulator
Work a small single digit number of hours and forget about the question altogether.

If you like LFS, you'll like whatever extra content, especially after 10 years, and the idea that your handful of $CURRENCY will help LFS move fwd that bit more.

The question is better worth asking for something truly substantial like investing in new simpit gear or something. If you've been gone 10 years then (IIRC) you missed the VR developments, for one.
I suppose the fact that I've been burned a few times in that 10+ years would provide some context for my reticence. However I will definitely say that I've been enjoying some of the AX layouts and custom configurations the last couple days. Especially dusting off a GT-Cadet restricted XFR and driving some of the ultra short course configs. Gets the wheels turning on series ideas.

I AM however starting to look into a DIY Simpit, using my Driving Force GT. Have any really good OutGuage apps come out? Repurpose a tablet into a dash?
Short answer: If you have S2 - NO

Long answer: Blah Blah VR, Blah Blah Rockingham, Blah Blah.... Ok, I'm now out of long answer. See many of the posted responses above for differing opinions.

If you still have any LFS online racing in your area and they race on Rockingham then perhaps.

IMHO S2 is all you need until the ( upcoming, long awaited, being worked on, see the progress reports.................................) game is updated to make S3 a meaningful update.

Disclaimer: I purchased S1 in 2005, then purchased S2 when it was released on June 24, 2005. S3 was released on 19 December 2015.........
And yet I still do not feel it is a mature DLC release in late February 2019.
Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
Did I Say That?
Quote from Racer X NZ :Short answer: If you have S2 - NO

Long answer: Blah Blah VR, Blah Blah Rockingham, Blah Blah.... Ok, I'm now out of long answer. See many of the posted responses above for differing opinions.

If you still have any LFS online racing in your area and they race on Rockingham then perhaps.

IMHO S2 is all you need until the ( upcoming, long awaited, being worked on, see the progress reports.................................) game is updated to make S3 a meaningful update.

Disclaimer: I purchased S1 in 2005, then purchased S2 when it was released on June 24, 2005. S3 was released on 19 December 2015.........
And yet I still do not feel it is a mature DLC release in late February 2019.
Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
Did I Say That?

This part:
If you still have any LFS online racing in your area........

If the AI was a little better, you think that'd help?
Yeah I know I know... ONLINE simulator.... But still.
-
(klbbadd2002) DELETED by Scawen : troll post
#30 - 5tag
If you have to ask: No, not worth it.

I'd have to dig up the Rockingham/S3 release announcement (late 2015 I think) but from what I remember the devs made it clear that it is not the same value for money as you get out of buying an S1 or S2 licence. More like an indefinite pre-order, or a donation gift.

Casual online racing is basically dead anyways, and although I'm not too involved with the scene, I heard that some leagues and events don't even include races on Rockingham because it'd exclude so many people who are sticking with S2 for now.
I don't think it's that worth it me. After the initial excitement, I've only done a few races at Rockingham. If you want to put £12 into a single track then go to iRacing, it's much more alive.

Of course, if you want to support Scawen and Eric then go ahead. If you aren't content with paying £12 just for Rockingham then just wait to see if anything comes out, i wouldn't risk it.

Quote from F.C.Barcelona :only worth the demo better invest your money in some beers

Kinda true atm, the only public racing that you can just jump into at most times of day is demo racing, sadly.
Remember some are content with doing hotlaps or racing against the computer for the moment also for iracing add all the other cost with that £12 for a track

Also it takes someone simply to get one or two people on a server and it soon gets racers joining. Happens anytime i use our s2/s3 server. No-one seems to want to be the first on a server or they have it set to hide empty servers
#33 - 5tag
Quote from bishtop :Also it takes someone simply to get one or two people on a server and it soon gets racers joining. Happens anytime i use our s2/s3 server. No-one seems to want to be the first on a server or they have it set to hide empty servers

For everytime that happens, there's another time where I join a server with 1-2 other people on it, nothing gets said and within ten minutes everyone else is gone.

OP already has an S2 licence, so there's no harm in getting started again and seeing for their own. Buying S3 won't offer a different experience, there's no magical wonderland opening where everyone is racing and drifting and building layouts on Rockingham. The release was over 3 years ago at this point, the hype died down again and it is fair to say it's not worth it at this point.
If nothing gets said when you join a server with people on it then start a conversation Big grin
You're taking one bad experience(LFSW shows it as once it has happened within past 6 months) and saying that defines s2-s3 servers.
I am giving facts based on our servers and personal experience on them

Also if you would of read my previous post you would see that i said "Remember some are content with doing hotlaps or racing against the computer", which would then make it worth buying for a track that has been "laser scanned" and not a made up non existent track
check out next thursday FM Wink arround 19.30 utc
#36 - 5tag
Quote from bishtop :If nothing gets said when you join a server with people on it then start a conversation Big grin

When I join a server I say hello and if there's nobody I recognise then that's usually it. It wasn't a complaint, but more to illustrate how often even multiple (independent) people do not spark a growth of server population and it just leads to nothing.

Quote from bishtop :You're taking one bad experience(LFSW shows it as once it has happened within past 6 months) and saying that defines s2-s3 servers.
I am giving facts based on our servers and personal experience on them

I don't know how LFSW could even give you stats to such an oddly specific scenario, but I too am giving facts from personal experience. I meant it exactly the way I said and I don't just race four times a year. Wink

Quote from bishtop :Also if you would of read my previous post you would see that i said "Remember some are content with doing hotlaps or racing against the computer", which would then make it worth buying for a track that has been "laser scanned" and not a made up non existent track

I read your previous post initially, did you? Because yes, *some* are fine with sticking to single player stuff, but then again "some", and I'd even argue the majority, want to play together with other people. The same could be said about your conclusion; to some people it doesn't matter whether a track is real or fictional - as long as they are of good quality. And you could argue that the making of Rockingham has influenced and will influence the design of LFS's fantasy tracks (like ripples in braking zones and curbs on Westhill and Blackwood). So since we don't know OP's preferences, it's only fair to try and give a universal opinion.

So you can have yours, I can have mine. Just don't try to discredit experiences that other people made.
Quote from RC-Maus :check out next thursday FM Wink arround 19.30 utc

An evening of fun for just £12. Better value than a movie, pizza and a hooker Thumbs up
Quote from 5tag :When I join a server I say hello and if there's nobody I recognise then that's usually it. It wasn't a complaint, but more to illustrate how often even multiple (independent) people do not spark a growth of server population and it just leads to nothing.

I don't know how LFSW could even give you stats to such an oddly specific scenario, but I too am giving facts from personal experience. I meant it exactly the way I said and I don't just race four times a year. Wink

I read your previous post initially, did you? Because yes, *some* are fine with sticking to single player stuff, but then again "some", and I'd even argue the majority, want to play together with other people. The same could be said about your conclusion; to some people it doesn't matter whether a track is real or fictional - as long as they are of good quality. And you could argue that the making of Rockingham has influenced and will influence the design of LFS's fantasy tracks (like ripples in braking zones and curbs on Westhill and Blackwood). So since we don't know OP's preferences, it's only fair to try and give a universal opinion.

So you can have yours, I can have mine. Just don't try to discredit experiences that other people made.

I only stated a fact about regarding something that you stated, its who i am and nothing meant on a personal level also a truth cannot be discredited! So many moan about the state of licensed online racing yet no-one understands that if everyone tried to do something about like going online it would not be an issue
#39 - 5tag
Quote from o000o :An evening of fun for just £12. Better value than a movie, pizza and a hooker Thumbs up

Wow, do you work for Electronic Arts, by any chance?

Quote from bishtop :So many moan about the state of licensed online racing yet no-one understands that if everyone tried to do something about like going online it would not be an issue

I think plenty of people consider this, but it seems naive to think it could make online racing crowded again. There just aren't even enough people looking for servers for individual initiative to take effect. And the ones that do, seem to dislike anything that isn't GTi or GT2 racing. I know where you're coming from, I've done this many times (hotlapping an interesting combo and waiting for other people to join) and it rarely works for any length of time. It's frustrating to me as well, but in this kind of thread we should look at how it is, not at what we want it to be.
It's the cost of a few beers for a perfect recreation of a track that is soon to be, if not already, demolished.
Quote from petercollins :... a track that is soon to be, if not already, demolished.

But why, it is a beautiful track... Frown
Quote from 5tag :Wow, do you work for Electronic Arts, by any chance?

I think plenty of people consider this, but it seems naive to think it could make online racing crowded again. There just aren't even enough people looking for servers for individual initiative to take effect. And the ones that do, seem to dislike anything that isn't GTi or GT2 racing. I know where you're coming from, I've done this many times (hotlapping an interesting combo and waiting for other people to join) and it rarely works for any length of time. It's frustrating to me as well, but in this kind of thread we should look at how it is, not at what we want it to be.

I agree with you about it seems GTI or GT2 that seems more preferable. As in the numbers that look for racing ect if half the people who spend their time moaning about it here on the forums actually went to race online the numbers would be great, the same goes for those that complain about the scirroco like its much needed yet they have not even driven all current cars and will complain no matter what.

I think one thing we can get from this and that is the love for liveforspeed is present which is evident from the amount of people that are still here on the forums waiting for something to happen

As a returning player. Is there enough content in an s3 license to be worth it?
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG