The online racing simulator
Where's all the Racing.....
(75 posts, started )
Quote from chanoman315 :Well, the endurance races gather a lot of people. The Daytona 24h had 2k ish players, and average https://iracer.info/statistics

It is the most played simracing game nowadays for sure. I'm happy paying, at least we get updates, cars, laser scanned tracks, and most important, other players to race with.
Racing IRL is expensive compared to iracing so I really don't see a big problem.

Yeah, as much as I don't like iRacing's pricing model or even physics model, it's hard to beat the consistent races with semi full grids at all hours of the day. Where with LFS I have to plan all week for the 3 races I can drive in, and if I'm even 1 minute late, then I don't get to drive any races. Where iRacing I can just check schedule on my phone and ensure I'm around near the start of an event I wish to drive in and get to race against others.

I resubbed to see if the physics got better (they haven't) but I'm still enjoying myself especially as I get to have some pretty interesting races with other drivers.

LFS is still much better in VR (Menus are accessible, graphics are sharper, I can handle a 4 hour session (quali + 3h race) in VR in LFS with ease, where after like 40 mins I have a headache from iRacing

I still don't know what's wrong with their physics though, I started driving the Pro Mazda earlier and there's this really odd "understeer into snap oversteer" that I feel and I'm not sure if it's just bad setup or just how the iRacing aero model is.
Quote from the_angry_angel :I've wanted to setup a kinda SaaS for a while to allow server ops to join their servers into an adhoc network via the InSim Relay to provide this experience so its not just relying on a single group. Just never got around to it, and now honestly I dont even know if the audience is really there.

This isn't a bad idea, and to be honest I wouldnt cross the audience out of it once something like this would be announced. Since cargame has been shut down there hasn't been really much public racing going on. I've rented a host lately and I'm a bit unsure what to do with it, but if something like this would happen I'd be more than happy to use my server for a purpose like this.

Seeing as organised races like GTi Thursday get almost full grid every race and over 40+ qualifiers, I wouldn't say the towel should be thrown in yet. Smile

That being said, if anyone is up for public racing during today or somewhere in the weekend, I'm setting my server to have unrestricted GTR @ AS3 for 10 laps + pitstop if anyone wants to reminisce the old CD days. Big grin
[shameless ad]here's a join link to the server[/shameless ad]
I recon it will come back with new graphic update
Quote from JohnT2005 :I recon it will come back with new graphic update

I wouldn't be so sure.

Like, I love LFS and I still think it does so many things better than other sims, but I just don't see it catching back on (at least in my timezone).

It's hard to go and open LFS and find nothing but empty servers, where other sims I can find races every hour or 2.
Yeah, it's sad, I miss this fbm severs that had people on them all the time, it'll probably catch on one-day. I hope.
Quote from JohnT2005 :I recon it will come back with new graphic update

When other sims have way more to offer, just one update won't change much. That's not how competition works.
Lets just wait and see Smile

BTW I don't think other sims offer more. Still think online experience, LFS just rules.

Don't know anything about i-racing online experience but I don't plan to rent a game.

I'm sure many guys will come back after the Big update.
Lets just hope people stay Shrug
99% this game will stay the way it is.
Quote from David 96 :99% this game will stay the way it is.

True - moaners will keep moaning because "the update is too small,we need more" or "why there is no this car or that track or blackjack". And the real LFS-ers will keep having fun with the free update,which all other devs would sell for another pot of money with new title.
You can't argue with statistics. Just look at the amount of people playing AC / iR daily + the variety they offer. It's not about moaning, it's about having an actual reality check and realizing that you might as well as put up with what you get here or you can broaden your experience and try multiple things. Don't be so old
Quote from MousemanLV :You can't argue with statistics. Just look at the amount of people playing AC / iR daily + the variety they offer. It's not about moaning, it's about having an actual reality check and realizing that you might as well as put up with what you get here or you can broaden your experience and try multiple things. Don't be so old

Think AC also not that much players same for project cars and rfactor.

U just need to know what race u wantShrug

Hardly nowhere good quick hop in racing going on Wink
Thats why i'm in wreckfest last 6 months Wink
U know u get wrecked by some stupid arse but there also many good sim racers and we often have nice clean fight Smile
The a.c statistics page is total nonsense, it said earlier today that 2000+ racers were online, but you check with no set filters theres is at most 200, i know that some could be on a server that for whatever reason we cannot reach but still doubt it would be 2000 racers on there

According to LFSW my average encounters that i race with multiple times is 1228 per month
Attached images
ma.JPG
4.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
get your calculator calibrated and

http://www.cargame.nl/forum/acservers.php

sum all connected client numbers together from booking and pickup mode and you get well over 1500 people online even on this time of the day. I am cheating with a simplefast database sum query but a good old calculator told me the same.

What those people/computers are doing I don't know though, I haven't had that sim+DLC's installed for years now.

This is just one sim being mentioned. The racing / car driving genre is massive nowadays. Loads of choice. As sim you need to have something unique, apparently LFS lost this status of having something unique a couple of years ago. Once a status is lost it's much harder to retrieve it back. No idea whats coming up* but the sort of constant massive derailing doesn't seem to help. Maybe there will be a point in time that it can be concluded that the holy grail (tire physics) can not be done and things finally can move on without constantly looking at two dev builds.

* (ye, seen the reports but it does not make a really big impression to me, there must be more otherwise it turns into a Westhill 2.0 effect. Good for some weeks and not more than that).
Quote from bishtop :The a.c statistics page is total nonsense, it said earlier today that 2000+ racers were online, but you check with no set filters theres is at most 200, i know that some could be on a server that for whatever reason we cannot reach but still doubt it would be 2000 racers on there

According to LFSW my average encounters that i race with multiple times is 1228 per month

Are you sure this statistic is about racers who are online as in connected to a server and not just "ingame"? Would make more sense and I think there are even more offline racers than online racers in AC due to all the mods...
Quote from RC-Maus :Think AC also not that much players same for project cars and rfactor.

U just need to know what race u wantShrug

Hardly nowhere good quick hop in racing going on Wink

if you are a casual racer then yes, if that's what floats your boat that's cool. But when it comes to those who are looking to invest in a simracing game right now, how many of them would consider LFS? It's a new era and LFS doesn't exactly fit in today's era, it's just not up there anymore. With that being said, the game is still fun and I have nothing but the best memories from this game. I have nothing but appreciation and respect to the people who have invested their time into this game but you should come to realize that this back and forth confrontation about this topic is going nowhere, just like this game at the moment.
As long the sim is used, it is worth to exist Smile The simracing scene is so widespread nowadays, we can't get back good old days even 20 new cars and 10 new tracks would be introduced in next update along physics and graphics. No use to rationalize which sim is the best. Every sim has its place. I love the leaderboard hotlapping with ghost opponents in Raceroom, I love the casual driving around Nordschleife with different road cars in AC, I love to join demo races and leagues in LFS and meet & chat friends, I love to experience exotic and beautiful tracks with the fantastic Caterham in AMS, I love to test & learn faster race cars and open wheels in rFactor2 because of its physics. I don't see any point to put one sim over another or vice versa. I think even GT Legends has very good and active community still, even the official lobby was put down some years ago.

Just own large hard drive enough to own all those great sims Smile
I think the main problem here is visibility, many people don't know about LFS just because it isn't present in their favorite platform/market.

Even with attractiveness (graphics update) or realism (new tyres physics) we'll not attract many new players without some sort of marketing.
Quote from lfsrm :I think the main problem here is visibility, many people don't know about LFS just because it isn't present in their favorite platform/market.

Even with attractiveness (graphics update) or realism (new tyres physics) we'll not attract many new players without some sort of marketing.

Steam has been suggested so many times, yet always rejected without any legit reasons.
Quote from David 96 :Steam has been suggested so many times, yet always rejected without any legit reasons.

It has been rejected in current state, not rejected without legit reasons.
i see what i had not set to see the rest of the servers. i only have a few of the DLC and had it set to only show servers that i had the cars to drive.

Still LFSWORLD shows me as having met over 1000 different racers each month that i have had multiple races with, and with the majority driving over a 1.20 pb on bl2 (easy to do) which is not too bad, i am online often though, sometimes a full day

Totally agree with lfsrm about visibility, with LFS having a demo mode that alone would attract people if only they knew
Quote from Flotch :It has been rejected in current state, not rejected without legit reasons.

Yeah and the reasons were legit, Scawen didn't like that he'd have to change something legally to get to steam. Don't quote me on this, I don't remember the exact phrasing. There should be a quote by Scawen somewhere
I don't think this is sick. This is love
It were precisely "legit" (legal) reasons forcing them to not enter steam already... Big grin (irony)

Where's all the Racing.....
(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG