The online racing simulator
New race mode
(12 posts, started )
New race mode
I come with idea that could bring some fresh players to LFS. Most popular currently games are a battle royale. Why not use that popularity to attract new people or bring back those that left? My proposition is to add to a simulation game a mode that will be more arcade...ish and gamier. That game mode will be the eliminator. On every lap, the last driver that pass finish line will get a disqualification. That means that race will keep going until the last man is standing or actually driving. Modifications of that rule could be endless, i.e. for endurance elimination could be every second, third, fifth, etc. lap. elimination could be based on position or lap time. In that second option, the game could toss two jokers to randomly drivers: the first one gains a second other lose a second. That will not make LFS an arcade game but it will add some opportunity to leisure with friends.
#2 - Racon
This kind of thing is possible to do right now with InSim.

I haven't done that particular idea, but I've made a tag-style game which is up at PiranMOTOChaseGame. You get one point per second for every car chasing you while you're it. You're not alone in viewing it as a new mode, a lot of people have said the same while playing. More games coming when I've finished my current to-do list Wink

Also, I don't think it's right that this kind of thing should be built into LFS itself. By leaving it to InSim, Scawen gives us the power to control how it works, gives us the chance to run variations across different servers, the chance to incorporate things he's not thought of... and he saves himself some dev time that could go towards other dev jobs, too. Good call all round, IMHO Thumbs up
That has been on my ex-server, planned to be going for using it via events. That is however, been before with insim and some on arcade racing games, simply called as "Eliminator".
Inb4 20-39 players race....
Would it be possible to in-sim a Capture The Flag mechanic, do you think?
#6 - Racon
I've been tinkering towards a CTF already, shirtkicker - I was thinking of driving through an insim-defined area in your base to pick up or drop off a flag, and car contact to transfer flags between cars. That allows relaying between teammates, and recapturing before the point is scored.

I'm having trouble finding time and/or making it a priority against other stuff, and mulling over the best way to run it insim-wise. As always, the CTF bit is easier than deciding what to do with and managing the players/teams Smile At one point I asked my kids to build me a test layout, but they went a bit off-piste and just built a wonky bridge Smile

Input welcomed Thumbs up
#7 - Racon
OK, a beta version of Capture-The-Flag is currently running at PiranMOTODebug for testing/tweaking. I'll give it it's own server when it's ready.
I'll try to drop in sometime to help test if I can Smile
#9 - Racon
Feedback on the subject welcomed (from anyone). Currently you score a point for getting the enemy flag back to your base and nothing for anything else.

I thought it might be worth making that a big score of say 10 points, and then giving a smaller scores, say a single point, for picking up the flag, capturing it back from an enemy car, returning it to the base etc.

I'm also running a small, plain, unobstucted rectangular pitch with a base at each end. Do people want to play on a plain pitch, or should there be some obstacles to shuffle things up a bit? Anyone got an urge to build a CTF pitch? Smile
Sorry for derailing the topic a bit further.

Quote from Racon :Feedback on the subject welcomed (from anyone). Currently you score a point for getting the enemy flag back to your base and nothing for anything else.

I thought it might be worth making that a big score of say 10 points, and then giving a smaller scores, say a single point, for picking up the flag, capturing it back from an enemy car, returning it to the base etc.

I'm also running a small, plain, unobstucted rectangular pitch with a base at each end. Do people want to play on a plain pitch, or should there be some obstacles to shuffle things up a bit? Anyone got an urge to build a CTF pitch? Smile

If you've ever played midnight club 2 or 3, it used to have a CTF mode that had bases set on different side of towns and the flag in the middle, and you had the whole area to use to run away from the people trying to catch the flag. So, in my opinon the mode could be similar, have open configs with set spawnpoints that are identical in length/time to get to the flag. The points system sounds good too. However, I don't think it's a good idea to allow hitting a teammate to relay the flag, since it could motivate teammates to steal the flag so they would get the points. In MC it was this way, and it worked quite nicely in MC3 online mode iirc.
So, anything new around here?
I and PiranMOTO servers are without internet for a week or so *cries* (posting from work). When it's back I'll put CTF on its own server.

New race mode
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG