The online racing simulator
Reasons why you should try Live for Speed in VR
Hi there,

I've been meaning to make this video for a while, since my job involves Virtual Reality and I've recently been able to pair this with my love for sim racing by purchasing my own Oculus Rift.

I hope this video gives you more of an appreciation of why the devs opted to spend so much time implementing VR in LFS and I also hope it gives you the itch to try it yourself.

If after watching you have any questions, or anything else you'd like me to explain, please leave a reply or drop me a PM and I'd be happy to advise.

I'm no good at video editing so it's just a 1 take clip. I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

I tried the first version of the Oculus Rift a few years ago, it was fun (but wasn't in LFS). What stopped me from getting one was just that I always seem to drive with my mouse in LFS, do you know if that gives motion sickness? I won't be buying one anytime soon, but maybe next year.

Very informative video, good job.
8:32 "Get your PC upgraded"

... LFS still has a problem, a CPU problem. I have a 965M but the screen is lagging on various spots because the CPU cannot handle it. Well, it can handle it, it's just LFS which doesn't make use of today's multicore CPU capabilities. It's a bit of a shame that LFS doesn't run smoothly on my i7 3630QM, it is not that this CPU is very old, its LFS which is very old in handling multicore CPU's (it basically doesnt handle it)..

If LFS doesn't get this problem sorted with multicore CPU's then I do not think it has a big future for the masses which want to try VR. The early adapters of course all have massive desktop systems but the bigger part doesn't have this. Sure a graphics card can be upgraded, but a CPU is more difficult. Especially when it is not needed and its just the software making bad use of the capabilities.
#4 - Eric
Quote from mbutcher :Hi there,

I've been meaning to make this video for a while, since my job involves Virtual Reality and I've recently been able to pair this with my love for sim racing by purchasing my own Oculus Rift.

I hope this video gives you more of an appreciation of why the devs opted to spend so much time implementing VR in LFS and I also hope it gives you the itch to try it yourself.

If after watching you have any questions, or anything else you'd like me to explain, please leave a reply or drop me a PM and I'd be happy to advise.

I'm no good at video editing so it's just a 1 take clip. I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Excellent video mbutcher. It's nice hear factual reasons why people like or even dislike a piece of software.

Thanks for that.
You're welcome, thanks!
great video. Love racing in LFS with my rift
We should race some time! Smile
I bought a second hand Rift CV1 on the strength of seeing videos of people using it in sims such as LFS and AC. It is a game changer for me as it really makes a difference when going wheel to wheel with other racers.

Also you end up naturally pointing your gaze towards apexes and exits of corners, which has made me a much faster driver than dealing with a monitor display.

I had my own Ronnie O'Sullivan moment shortly after getting the Rift, I was in AC racing the 1960s prototypes around Monza (the configuration covering the original oval and road course against CPU opponents in VR. One of the other cars clipped me coming out the last banked corner, sending me in to the barriers and barrel rolled. I ended up curling up in a ball (bear in mind I am 1.82m tall around 124kgs and sat on a rotating office chair), chair twisted round and I jarred my back....

Had to go see the doctor and ask for painkillers... poor doc did not have a clue what I was going on about lol!

I have learnt my lesson and bought an FK sim rig so I have a proper seat and a nice mounting position for the wheel instead of a desk and swivel chair I was using before Big grin

Once I have the funds I do want to upgrade as the resolution is pretty low, but I definitely got the bug for VR!

And by being the first sim to do VR right, I have to commend Scavier for taking the time and implementing it.

I think that multi core support would work really well with LFS, and use the extra unlocked cores for things like improved AI and possibly help with the tire model i.e. it can work to a higher frame rate or even improve the car damage physics i.e rebuild the cars with crumple zones for newer models and make them deform even more like real life cars.
Same feeling here and even more mind blowing is rallycross drifting and getting everything right, I mean at least trajectory and vision switch from apex to far away with an angle.... I had some massive pb improvements from I suck to I suck less..

Smile
I want to try VR so much now! Big grin
Quote from GT4_PL :*Snip*

I wish you'd have hidden the UI (SHIFT+F) in that last video and sat a bit higher in the grandstand! Kinda funny though.

Reasons why you should try Live for Speed in VR
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG