The online racing simulator
#1 - lucaf
The importance of watching replays in conflict situations
Dear discussion forum - the context for opinion festivals - I uploaded an example vid of how easily one can misunderstand a contact situation in race.

Still I am asking, Is this a good example vid for reminding the importance of watching replays before judging? What do you think of it?

My opinion is, that XRG overtake was 99% clean, yes it went 1% wide but the car was already side by side with XFG before contact happened.

This makes an even better case for the importance of watching your mirrorsWink
#3 - Abone
To be honest you dont care about him because he are slow,you just wanting pass, pass and pass...i see some guys like you when i made some races because im slow (sometimes drivers kick hard my door lololol like go out man ). You already can pass him really easy and clean at corner exit, you can be more respectful with slow drivers,but ok. btw ,where is a blue and yellow flag? no need replay, need respectful drivers.
#4 - lucaf
Thanks for your opinion Abone, I agree with that there is never too much respect in racing.

In that case, the opponent wasn't significantly slower than me (was running similar laptimes but making more errors), but for unknown reason braked very early there and thats why I dived inside (because surprising few overtaking places on that track).

But yes, I also agree with the point when opponent IS significantly slower, that there is no point to hurry with ovetaking and taking any risks.
#6 - Abone
You can see him on brakes,you use brake later trying pass him , he help you slow down when he hit you (moment when he on throttle you are on brakes) ha ha ha .i dont try to be offencive is what im watching in your video man Wink
I think the pass is borderline but acceptable, you had a significant overlap before the contact and that is what matters.

However the replay is a perfect example that while divebombing you have to trust that the guy in front will be experienced enough to see you and not turn into you. Clearly the XFG driver was not, and erratic braking points is a very good clue for that.

Looking at his onboard you could notice the pass coming from a long distance, obviously from the mirrors, but also from the XRG's engine sound... Sound is a very big thing in racecraft, this is how you tell where your opponent is when they're in a blind spot, real life drivers say that sound is basically how they can navigate around the track in extreme wet races.

But to go back on topic, yes clearly you should watch a replay before catshing a judgement, because driver's eye view is a very deceptive thing. It's always very interesting to see drivers IRL change their opinion about an incident on the fly the first time they watch a replay. But with controversial incidents like this one you will always receive mixed opinions.
I think the pass wasn't clean but more important was what the xfg guy did afterwards.
#9 - lucaf
Yeah I see it is not easy to comment own behaviour, maybe I was also too arrogant and instead of sending a "good pass" after the pass, I should have sent a "sorry".
That's normal.
XRG didn't overshoot the corner, hit the apex normally, so the pass was performed well, in my opinion.
IMO the XRG took the corner alright and the XFG braked too early and turned into the XRG.
My opinion too, but all this text and pause is not needed.. Sharing replays in conflict situations is important but not putting it on Youtube combined with some biased opinion about the whole situation. Just put .mpr online, nothing more. All engine/brake/car data is now missing also, it's just silly to use Youtube for discussions like this.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :I think the pass is borderline but acceptable, you had a significant overlap before the contact and that is what matters.

However the replay is a perfect example that while divebombing you have to trust that the guy in front will be experienced enough to see you and not turn into you. Clearly the XFG driver was not, and erratic braking points is a very good clue for that.

Looking at his onboard you could notice the pass coming from a long distance, obviously from the mirrors, but also from the XRG's engine sound... Sound is a very big thing in racecraft, this is how you tell where your opponent is when they're in a blind spot, real life drivers say that sound is basically how they can navigate around the track in extreme wet races.

But to go back on topic, yes clearly you should watch a replay before catshing a judgement, because driver's eye view is a very deceptive thing. It's always very interesting to see drivers IRL change their opinion about an incident on the fly the first time they watch a replay. But with controversial incidents like this one you will always receive mixed opinions.

Personally I think it's barely acceptable too (sorry Lucaf Tongue )
Yes, the XFG had broke probably 20 metres too early, but the XRG was caught out and broke 20 metres too late as well. Being so far behind a misjudgement became a divebomb which subsequently became a forced overtake.

The overlap only occured after the XFG had committed and turned in. The reason why the XRG made the corner was because the XFG became a "chalk" to slow the XRG down, as per contact. If the XFG wasn't there, the XRG would have overshot by a long way.

Yes, the XFG should have seen it coming as the XRG was peeking before the braking zone, and ant capable driver would have covered parked the car in the middle or broken later.

Thus, because each driver has his own errors, I'd call it a racing incident (for the XRG divebombing and making contact, and the XFG leaving the door too open and braking a tad too early.)

I wouldn't see why the XFG would be mad, it was borderline clean. You'd had a better chance chugging down the mainstraight and passing on pure speed.
Just a regular divebomb, N I K I would do it better Tongue

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG