The online racing simulator
Community hosted server for high availability
Hello,

is it so that the main server to which all players connect when trying to play online races is a single point of failure? When it is offline, no one can connect any online play?

If that is so, maybe programmers can think about the way to remove single point of failure and allow distributed server.

The torrent can be used to serve web content (webtorrent.io), ipfs (www.ipfs.io) can be used to create decentralized distributed file system accessible via http. What about implementing this so we have nice uptime and no worries about server being shut down one day.

Thank you
Quote : is it so that the main server to which all players connect when trying to play online races is a single point of failure? When it is offline, no one can connect any online play?

I thought when the master server is down just the server-list/browser does not work anymore. But you can still connect to servers directly?
But uptime seems very good anyway..
As far as I remember the single master server was a problem in times of S1. The IP-Adress of the server was implemented in the LfS-Code, so there was no possibility to swith to a backup server. These times are gone. If the master server goes down for some reasons it is a question of routing to another server, not more.
If I would be one of the Dev's I wouldn't agree to give the master server to the community. It would be the end of license-checking at all.
And on the other hand: As long as enough players still find the way to LfS it will stay alive. If not a second or third master wouldn't change a thing.
Quote from KlausAdam :As far as I remember the single master server was a problem in times of S1. The IP-Adress of the server was implemented in the LfS-Code, so there was no possibility to swith to a backup server. These times are gone. If the master server goes down for some reasons it is a question of routing to another server, not more.

You are forgetting that DNS can take 48 hours to propagate to everybody. So yes, you can change Master server's IP, but it is of no much use when you have an unplanned outage.
Bad DNS systems maybe.. Normally TTL is ~ 5 minutes.

But there is no problem with LFS, why fix a problem which doesn't exist.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG