The online racing simulator
Closing Speed also for the HLV InSim Packet
Hello!

I see that InSim sends the Closing Speed for contacts between two cars and contacts between car and objects, but there isn't this information in case of contacts between car and walls.

I'd like to have this information to know the "intensity" of the contacts also in these situations Smile

What do you think about it?
You need a combination of HLV and MCI for this, although a new packet is of course more convenient for these situations.

But eehh demo. Hmm, suspicious.
Yeah, demo, I'm aware that I can pretend nothing from my position.
I just wanted to ask if licensed players could be interested about this feature.

I tried to compute that information using MCI, but it doesnt come out reliable.

Anyway thanks for the reply Smile
MCI not only contains car's position but the speed too.
Maybe best to use the last speed before impact.
Calculating speed from two MCI-positions would be too inaccurate I think. It would work when driving but not with crashes. In worst case you get position when car is 20cm from wall, then it bounces back and you read position again at 20cm from wall. Speed was zero Uhmm
Quote from Comomillo :Yeah, demo, I'm aware that

Demo is very OK, but there are sadly a lot of people with wrong intentions here nowadays which make LFS die.

Quote :In worst case you get position when car is 20cm from wall,

Is it? Why is this? MCI can have 25 pps (40 ms)? If you have the MCI just before the HLV I think it pretty much matches the speed. Although... This doesn't necessarily say anything about the impact intensity, the you need the MCI after the HLV too.. Compare speeds and then you can make conclusions about crash intensity. But maybe I am very wrong, didn't put it into practice yet.

For streaming purposes it's very handy to know wall impact speed, it was/is on my request list but I was thinking maybe it can be figured out with MCI then I don't need to request Taped Shut .
40ms : a car going 150 km/h travels 1,6m during that time.

Like see here: http://abload.de/img/allh0es8.jpg the paths were cars went off track, like at top the hairpin. The dots (MCI packets) are still pretty far apart. (I do not remember what update rate was used there. Not the minimum but still..)

But I did actually not mean the update resolution.
I meant 'worst case' as in: Imagine the car drives frontal into wall. The car bounces back. If you are unlucky then the two MCI packets before/after crash have the same coordinates because car is bouncing back to same spot.
Extreme situation ofc but shows a principle problem that would always be there, just less extreme.

Hm, I think best might be to combine coordinates and speed into some movement vector of the car. Beside movement vector there is also the heading of the car, which ins not nessecary the same. (Think drift / spin)
If there is HLV message but speed does not change much and movement-vector & heading are still mostly parallel: It was harmless brushing wall with side etc

/edit
Oh, found something more:
This shows how sideways cars were during a race:
http://abload.de/img/multidrift_race1wka43.png
I do not remember the scale, but blue means "slight sliding", normal 5° or whatever cars always do in turns.
Red means more than happens during normal driving. Where is nothing painted, there was no drifing. (on straights)
Now look at the slides of the "alex" driver. (last row, 3rd from top)
Compare his sliding with his coordinates & speed: http://abload.de/img/plot11j9bw9.jpg
Wiggly coordinates-lines mean of course he was crashing there, or close to crashing. It lines up with the drift-picture. With both data together one can guess a bit what happend. A program would have to same as a human who looks at those pictures: Compare speed, movement-vector, heading, coordinates.
Quote from Gutholz :If you are unlucky then the two MCI packets before/after crash have the same coordinates because car is bouncing back to same spot.

Ehr, yeah, but coordinates is not what I should give any interest. Just speed. Speed before HLV and after HLV. If the speed difference is low then it was a brush against the wall. If the loss of speed is high then the wall contact probably was high or there was a lot of braking involved. For me enough reason to move a camera to this situation.

Another reason was why I didn't give this any attention yet is because LFS contained a HLV wall bug for many months. I now remember Smile

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG