The online racing simulator
Round 1 - Kyoto International Reverse (KY31R) - Post-Race Thoughts and Notes
Hello drivers and team managers!

Overall, we think this was a very successful first foray into endurance racing on open config tracks. We'd like to thank all teams for participating, and for giving us a full grid. It was great to see 30 cars head off into turn 1 on the first lap.

We did notice a couple of issues that need mentioning for future rounds, so please read on.
  1. Cold tires on restarts. With a track as long as KY31R, two laps are going to turn the tires of most cars into ice cubes... particularly the FXR. Drivers need to be aware of this and give more room on restarts. We saw at least one huge restart pileup that resulted directly from cold FXR tires and other drivers crowding that car.

2. Gaps on restarts. In at least one case in this race, a driver braked unnaturally on the straight before reaching the start/finish line--despite having a huge gap to the car ahead--causing the car behind him to pass him. The car who passed him was given a DT for overtaking before s/f. The driver who braked may have done so to prevent getting a run on the car ahead (which is prohibited in the rules), but the point is that there never should have been that gap ahead to begin with. Try to keep a steady 1-2 car-length gap to the car ahead of you on restarts. This will be especially important at FE25.
Aside from these two issues, we'd like to congratulate everyone on a very sensible and well-run race!

See you all at Fern Bay.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :In at least one case in this race, a driver braked unnaturally on the straight before reaching the start/finish line--despite having a huge gap to the car ahead--causing the car behind him to pass him. The car who passed him was given a DT for overtaking before s/f. The driver who braked may have done so to prevent getting a run on the car ahead

I guess that was me... :sorry: The actual situation was - I still had not catched the field,because I was driving slightly slower than full race pace,to cool down overheated tyres. I catched the field right in s/f straight,noticed that I'm closing too fast,first thought was - they're still not going full acceleration,so I braked causing this mishappening... I'm sorry to penalized team.

This just wasn't my day - I was totally off pace,driving at least 2 seconds per lap slower than I could do and making a lot of mistakes. Was a bad start for Team Latvia - all three of us managed to pop one tyre,had some incidents too. The positive side - we can do only better,hopefully we will!
Quote from DeadWolfBones :
  1. -
  2. Gaps on restarts. In at least one case in this race, a driver braked unnaturally on the straight before reaching the start/finish line--despite having a huge gap to the car ahead--causing the car behind him to pass him. The car who passed him was given a DT for overtaking before s/f. The driver who braked may have done so to prevent getting a run on the car ahead (which is prohibited in the rules), but the point is that there never should have been that gap ahead to begin with. Try to keep a steady 1-2 car-length gap to the car ahead of you on restarts. This will be especially important at FE25.

This is a side effect of making the leader wait until the green flag, usually given well onto the s/f straight, before they can accelerate. People get anxious behind, invariably struggling to hold a constant speed as they are never sure what speed the leader is doing, some may try and get the jump on others as the s/f isn't that far away, other people are right up the arse of the car in front so that they cannot be judged to have "lagged back" to get a speed advantage. It doesn't take much to start a concertina effect and have a crash.
Ben any chance staggering the starts may help?

Like one drive to the left, one to the right. But still have it single file??? Might be stupid but would effectively space out the restarts.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Hello drivers and team managers!

Overall, we think this was a very successful first foray into endurance racing on open config tracks. We'd like to thank all teams for participating, and for giving us a full grid. It was great to see 30 cars head off into turn 1 on the first lap.

We did notice a couple of issues that need mentioning for future rounds, so please read on.
  1. Cold tires on restarts. With a track as long as KY31R, two laps are going to turn the tires of most cars into ice cubes... particularly the FXR. Drivers need to be aware of this and give more room on restarts. We saw at least one huge restart pileup that resulted directly from cold FXR tires and other drivers crowding that car.

Aside from these two issues, we'd like to congratulate everyone on a very sensible and well-run race!

See you all at Fern Bay.

I think your talking about the incident between car #26 and car #05 after first restart?

I didnt expect to brake there, but I was hoping to leave enough gap to ceep out of trouble. I wasnt prepared really for that (Since we were like ~100 m from s/f line), since i thought everyone are drafting eachother to get a good launch after s/f line. I dont blame #05, because they had even less reaction time, than I did. Was pissed off at the time (), but after my stint I realized, not to be that way And as you see, I misstimed the first acceleration, right after last corner, so I tryed to close the gap aswell.
Quote from Ghost.. :I think your talking about the incident between car #26 and car #05 after first restart?

I didnt expect to brake there, but I was hoping to leave enough gap to ceep out of trouble. I wasnt prepared really for that (Since we were like ~100 m from s/f line), since i thought everyone are drafting eachother to get a good launch after s/f line. I dont blame #05, because they had even less reaction time, than I did. Was pissed off at the time (), but after my stint I realized, not to be that way And as you see, I misstimed the first acceleration, right after last corner, so I tryed to close the gap aswell.

It was actually referencing the incident between #30 and #34, but your case is another example.

Anyway, the admins will be considering alternate start/restart procedures to try to minimize these kind of accidents.
Tony we gave spot back
Quote from Bmxtwins :Tony we gave spot back

I know, and thanks for that. But the bump after that wasnt so nice
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It was actually referencing the incident between #30 and #34, but your case is another example.

Anyway, the admins will be considering alternate start/restart procedures to try to minimize these kind of accidents.

Pit speed (80km/h) in the last sector til S/F.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Tony we gave spot back

There was one accident, and this guy gave spot back too. Respect for him!

Quote from -Joske- :Pit speed (80km/h) in the last sector til S/F.

Oh yeah, limiter
that must be where he punted us off track (car 22)
Quote from Bmxtwins :that must be where he punted us off track (car 22)

He tried to go outside, where there was in the space, was off track. As I said, Jens Touched Me That made ​​me pull out the pilot of his team.

After, I upload the replay so draw your own conclusions.
Quote from -Joske- :Pit speed (80km/h) in the last sector til S/F.

Problem is that at long tracks this will worsen the icecubing of the tyres, making accidents more likely to happen after restart, and at short tracks (like upcoming race) the harmonica-effect caused by doing this with 30 cars on-track may still mess up the restart.

Round 1 - Kyoto International Reverse (KY31R) - Post-Race Thoughts and Notes
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG