The online racing simulator
OLFSL Pre Season Warm Up
We'd like to announce a preseason warm up race to keep everyone fresh whilst the few remaining plans to the next season are finished.

So how does 35 Laps of Blackwood Reversed in the FBM sound to you?

And how does 35 Laps of Blackwood Reversed in the FBM with Wind enabled sound to you?

Alright alright, how about 35 Laps of Blackwood Reversed in the FBM with Wind enabled and Cloudy Sunset Weather sound to you?

That's right on Sunday 12th April at 1600 GMT you'll be racing around Blackwood Reversed for 35 laps in the funky FBM with a forecast of strong wind to make things that little bit tricky and cloudy sunset to set the romantic racing mood.

-- edit ---
Qualifying is open! ...and remember to "Join season" before you head to qualify. See you on track...

Follow this link for more information on the Race and Qualifying.
#2 - t1ger
For those of you new to the OLFSL or for those whose memory is not as it used to be, please check out the other thread (here) for details on the Qualifying system we use.

Thanks and good luck with the new season.

Tim
ah you meant that page, sorry Tim - I thought you meant your new post on the site - D'oh.
Quote from horrgakx :Enjoy! I'm at a wedding.

Sounds like a job for a laptop with mobile 3G broadband to me.
yee, great, no wind sounds awesome
edit: OMG ive just seen that your gonna use high wind, that sounds bad, low wind in lfs is strong enough to be called high, and high is tornado... i'd strongly suggest to use low or non wind
#7 - t1ger
Quote from N I K I :yee, great, no wind sounds awesome
edit: OMG ive just seen that your gonna use high wind, that sounds bad, low wind in lfs is strong enough to be called high, and high is tornado... i'd strongly suggest to use low or non wind

Hi NIKI, your point is noted. we will test and maka amendments if required.

Tim
Quote from N I K I :yee, great, no wind sounds awesome

This generally depends on the car and track, don't worry - we wouldn't pick an unsuitable strength likely to cause issues.

For instance, I did 15 laps with the warm up combo (FBM, BL1R, High Wind) yesterday and only had a couple of fun oversteer moments caused by wind, perhaps if we were driving the MRT it would be different.

I think a lot of people notice the wind and think it's too strong because it stops that constant perfect lap syndrome LFS suffers from. People think that if that don't do constant lap times within .5 of a second every time that somehow it's a bad thing. The fact is LFS on it's own is a little too easy, personally I find the wind feature add's that little bit of spice of the unknown per lap which is a good thing.
Great to see the OLFSL is starting into a new season!
I set up a server for those of you wanting to race. Wind is set to 0 atm.
--> ELKTEST I
Quote from russraine :
I think a lot of people notice the wind and think it's too strong because it stops that constant perfect lap syndrome LFS suffers from. People think that if that don't do constant lap times within .5 of a second every time that somehow it's a bad thing. The fact is LFS on it's own is a little too easy, personally I find the wind feature add's that little bit of spice of the unknown per lap which is a good thing.

Honestly I totally agree with that. It's the one problem I have with this sim because it takes away the importance of being able to adapt. People seem to forget what real racing is about, there are so many more variables in real life, you dont just hotlap for hours in preparation for a race under the exact same track conditions. But the way this sim is setup, with every possible laptime stat and hotlap analyser available, I don't see that changing so long as everyone is judged by the illustrious "pb"
no quite, we have tire condition developing thru the race and fuel affect, so you can't do same times all the time :P
And FTR usually wind in real life is max up to 10 km/h, and in lfs you get low wind up to 30 km/h... witch of course affects the driving too much and lets not talk about New Orleans hurricane of high wind but still it will be a nice thing to try though. I drove a complete league with low wind settings, and it was very ok, but tbh i just sow some crashes with high wind on CTRA and ran away as fast as possible
No doubt tire management is still real important in longer races. I just think having the fastest laptime in general is overrated. Im not saying we should use high wind all the time by any means, I just think its cool to be somewhat simulating changing track conditions for once.

Coming back to lfs from other sims I just noticed even moreso how fixated everyone is on pb's. Like in other sims you dont always know exactly what the best times are and where you should be running. Without every stat at your fingertips It adds to the excitement come race time. plus with new tracks being run all the time and no hotlap charts its just a completely different perspective of racing... Whole different story though.
Yea maybe it is overrated, still, we need track temperature and tire grip on race line changes to have more excitement, not high wind.

To be more clear about my thoughts, I'm looking forward to high wind, specially because I'm having bad grid position (didn't have time to do any better, and didn't really know the rules of qualy ether ) so it might help me

But however, low wind thru the season would probably be nice, even it's bit too strong it showed to me in other league, that i did with low wind, that most of the races are actually with wind under 10 km/h (maybe luck, dunno :shrug witch just requires a bit of adaptation and you have more excitment.

OLFSL Pre Season Warm Up
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG