Event 10, BL2 - issues with layout
Here ya go. Spill it out

My hardware details here (had no drops):

ASUS A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
512Mb DDR 400Mhz
Radeon 9600 Pro (Club3D I think)
Nice improvement.

Only fault is release time. It should be broadcasted before.

But very good idea.
as said before in the flooded chatterbox....

the releasetime of the layout was very unlucky (1 hour and yes 18 mins before the race). For the next time we use a layout, make it please public at least the friday before the event, so everyone knows what he can expect before entering the official server.
Just wanna point out:
I'm not saying that I'm completely against any layouts, as I fully understand why they are used (prevent cutting and stuff).

And as you seem to point out that it's my hardware... I know it#s not the newest and best on the market, but I've never had any fps problems before todays races (15fps in the first corners and when some "action" was around me in general in t1 + following chicane)... I'm sorry that I can't afford better hardware and if this is a problem than it should be stated in the rules what minimum pc specs are needed for this league (so that we with "bad" pc's don't enter, would save you also some work)... :evil:
#4 - Cawwa
This layout was new to me course I never looked at the page. But since we should be online pretty early a couple of laps are all that needed, to see and be familiar to this layout, no big deal at all. I allways try to follow the hlvc route anyways and so should you!! ..
No need to get offended. I was merely interested in your specs to know what kind of hardware wasn't enough - that's because I don't feel my PC is top notch either.

I'm truly sorry about bringing the layout so late to you, but I realized it was needed today and felt it would affect normal racing. For example I didn't understand your point about passing in the back "straight".. no one doesn't pass via the grass - right?

Again, it was not my intention to offend
#6 - Cawwa
Quote from three_jump :as said before in the flooded chatterbox....

the releasetime of the layout was very unlucky (1 hour and yes 18 mins before the race). For the next time we use a layout, make it please public at least the friday before the event, so everyone knows what he can expect before entering the official server.
Just wanna point out:
I'm not saying that I'm completely against any layouts, as I fully understand why they are used (prevent cutting and stuff).

And as you seem to point out that it's my hardware... I know it#s not the newest and best on the market, but I've never had any fps problems before todays races (15fps in the first corners and when some "action" was around me in general in t1 + following chicane)... I'm sorry that I can't afford better hardware and if this is a problem than it should be stated in the rules what minimum pc specs are needed for this league (so that we with "bad" pc's don't enter, would save you also some work)... :evil:

Sry didnt see your post before my own.
Of course this is a problem allthough LFS is nicer to your computer then most of the sims out there. I dont think this extra layout coursed your problems though. Looks as it was a serverproblem due to all discos in your pool
my hardware:
AMD Athlon 2500+
512Mb DDR 400Mhz
Radeon 9600 Pro
wow.. almost the same
Quote from varjsa-9 :
For example I didn't understand your point about passing in the back "straight".. no one doesn't pass via the grass - right?

i din't mean the backstraight, I mean the chicane after t1...
I experienced severe fps drop aswell in the first corners(<10) but then again my pc is not that good so I dont know which one it was.

Any ideas what caused the strange error message(out of stash space) and mass timing out after that in pool1 race2? Only 4 drivers out of 18 finished.
Quote from Sracer :I Any ideas what caused the strange error message(out of stash space) and mass timing out after that in pool1 race2? Only 4 drivers out of 18 finished.

I've seen that, but it never caused me to time out
My 'puter is definately too poor for hi-res -racing, but with tuning the details down, I manage to reach pretty decetn fps's.

Celeron4 2.6GHz
512 ram
Radeon 9200 (Club3d)

First laps in both starts provided some notches before and during the first chicane, but after that I had no problems with frames per second. Tuned the dust all the way down.

One issue could have been, that many hadn't actually rallycrossed very much at all and in different servers.

I personally think that the obstacles were only a positive thing. They didn't interfere with raceline and brought the driving more close to consistency and skill (if anuone understand what I mean).

Thanks to hosts and other staff
The layout didnt bother me in the slightest, the lag, and getting smashed to pieces on the 1st lap of both races did.

Dan,
Altough I drove only 3 laps in the race, I had all that time long barely 8 fps. No need to say, rather impossible to race. But I had to leave by other reasons. Anyway.. Don't think these objects are good, at least not thàt many. And I step by with 3J's post also.
No the layout didn't affect my fps at all either. Shame I disconnected on the second to last lap of race two though!

Tim
Here's my PC specs:
Athlon XP 1800+
256MB ram
GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB

I had less that 10 fps. illepall
So adding this layout didn't make the race secure at all.
It was the other way round.
And we could still cut the corners, which had the biggest lag. (after T1)illepall
#17 - bozo
Hey Tim, when are you going to let me pass you instead of disconnecting every time I get close?

I had no fps issues either. I was in there to enjoy ... and look forward to reviewing the replays to try to understand why there was so much carnage ...
My specs:
AMD 2600+
512 DDR ram
Radeon 9600 Pro ( ATI original)

I had mo problems with fps they never dropped under 20. But still adding all that obstacles was not such a good idea imo, and for the dissconect we had in pool1 race 2 i dont think they are the problem. I think if anyone cuts the corners they should be punished rather than be phisicaly prevented to do so. I think thats what it says in the rules anyway. But no hard feelings, thanks for hosting, sorry for some nudging on track and cya next time.
Well, here are my thoughts about the issue of the layout...

1) It would've been better to reveal the layout earlier. But, as racers, shouldn't we be able to adapt to changing conditions? I didn't think it was that big of a change anyway because none of the objects were on the track or right near the edge. They were all well off the track, as far as I can remember.

2) It's totally impractical for the hosts to police each driver and make sure they stay on the track, even after the fact with replays. Also, during the race, their actions affect all of the other drivers who are trying to drive correctly. Using a custom layout like this seems like the best and most practical solution to me to discourage people from driving off the track.

3) You guys are in serious need of some upgrades. My PC is a 2.8GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 9800 Pro. It's almost 3 years old now and wasn't top of the line when I built it. It's probably going to suffer horribly when Oblivion comes out at the end of this month. But still it's enough to run LFS comfortably at 1600x1200 with 4xAA, 8xAF, even for the Skilldriving Challenge which had hundreds of objects on the track. The number of objects introduced by this layout was relatively small. It seems hard to believe that it would have a significant impact on framerate.

I think what hurt framerate this time around, at least for me, was having a lot of cars near each other all kicking up dust. Dust is a killer. It eats up fillrate like crazy. I think at one point I had 4 or 5 cars right in front of me, lots of dust in the air, and the framerate got down to the 20's maybe, but thankfully it was still plenty drivable. Most of the time it was around 40-60.

If anyone really thinks the layout is what hurt their FPS, I suggest they post FPS numbers when racing alone (single player or empty multi server) with and without the layout loaded.
I felt that the only objects needed to be added in was at the chicane after T.1 as that's the only place you actually gain an advantage, on the straight of the split if you go on the grass there you lose speed and grip into the next corner so no advantage there.

Same at the start/finish, never seen anyone cutting those corners as it's slower cutting than sticking to the road.

Lag kinda summed it up for me today, 1st corner I was careful and so were others, well done there in pool 1, then 2nd lap into T1 Prophet braked later, overtook me and his rear end swung out, hit me and usually it's nothing but lag just spun me, then the mask finished me off

Same in the next race, started very nicely then on about lap 2 or 3 I had gained a few places and some 'action' after the 1st corner sent my fps down, I got about 5 fps and hit the tyres and spun. Then I rejoined, caught Tomo and he slammed the wall and bounced into me (Not really to do with lag there) Then the mass time outs happend......

All in all it pretty much sucked.

Thanks to the OLFS regardless,
Bawbag, sorry for that small rear-bump

I have
AMD Athlon64 3000+ @ 2700MHz
1Gb PC3200
Radeon x800GTO 256MB 256bit

and no problems...
Ok ppl.. My fps is ALWAYS 20-30 and my computer is a piece of s***. Do you see me complaining?? No, you don't.
I got my wheel last week and have tried it a few times, 20-30 fps is very driveable. It did not drop much last night either, and I think the little drop was because of the cars, not the layout. I was online earlier (before the races, after the layout got out) and nothing changed.

When FienDi noticed the problem and that we need the layout, we did all that as soon as humanly possible. I'm sorry if 1 hour and 18 minutes is not early enough for you, but this layout changed absolutely nothing if you were driving clean laps before.
Quote from Mrs FienDi :Ok ppl.. My fps is ALWAYS 20-30 and my computer is a piece of s***. Do you see me complaining?? No, you don't.
I got my wheel last week and have tried it a few times, 20-30 fps is very driveable. It did not drop much last night either, and I think the little drop was because of the cars, not the layout. I was online earlier (before the races, after the layout got out) and nothing changed.

When FienDi noticed the problem and that we need the layout, we did all that as soon as humanly possible. I'm sorry if 1 hour and 18 minutes is not early enough for you, but this layout changed absolutely nothing if you were driving clean laps before.

OK, I got your point,
next time I have a complainment / suggestion, I'll shut my mouth and keep it for myself as they are apparently not wanted / accepted...:bowdown:
Quote from three_jump :OK, I got your point.
Next time I have a complainment / suggestion, I'll shut my mouth and keep it for myself as they are apparently not wanted / accepted...:bowdown:

Complaining/suggesting and blaming us for your bad race are 2 different things, don't mix those.

Suggestions are more than welcome, as long as it's meant to be constructive. What I saw in our chatternox last night was not.

Complaining is allowed too, that's how we can make this league better. But if you go on our website and start blaming us for your bad race.. what did you think? That we'd jump for joy??

If you knew how much work it takes to organize one single event, you would think twice before you do what you did last night. If you had ANY idea how much time we put in running OLFSL, again, you'd think twice.
I'm a student (about to graduate in about 3 months) and FienDi has a full time job. Almost all spare time we have after school and work goes to OLFSL. Oh, and FienDi goes to school 2 nights a week too!

So suggest all you want, but know this: me and FienDi don't respond well to yelling or blaming.
We obviously managed to screw up everything else (according to some racers), so you automaticly assumed we screwed up your race too.. Your race was bad, I get it, but how is it our fault? FienDi's race went bad as well.. should I assume that is your fault then?
Quote from Mrs FienDi :Complaining/suggesting and blaming us for your bad race are 2 different things, don't mix those.

I haven't blamed anyone for my races...

I think most of us manged the first corners without crashing etc.
What I said was that it was very unlucky to introduce the layout that late and that it was not really needed (this is kind of the same thing we had on the old blackwood track after the long straight. Those who always cutted the cones got a penalty. Worked well without any addtional layouts).

EDIT:
my first post was: "3 things: please never use this layout again, it only kills fps and causes crashes; 2. will pool1 will be reraced? 3. if yes.. when (PLS NOT NEXT WEEKEND)" sorry I can't see any reproaches....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG