The online racing simulator
Current CTRA state
(96 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Gnomie :Did you ever consider "exporting" your stuff to other sims..? That might bring in some steady income!

Simbin asked me to look at broadcasting with their products and asked what I wanted. I sent them insim.txt
-
(N I K I) DELETED by N I K I
Quote from Neilser :On the report backlog issue - one suggestion which doesn't seem to have come up in this thread: Wipe The Slate Clean. How about an amnesty for all unprocessed reports?

Of course it didn't pop up, it would mean rewarding those same behaviors which the whole X-System is supposed to fight. If there was a chance to be listened to, I would have said shut Race1 down for as much time it takes to get all the backlog processed. Whoops I shouldn't have said that.
Quote from CSF : Wrong [SR], he is in Storm Racing.

I can just imagine his joy if he were involved in it though.

I'd be pretty happy, although it wouldn't be orgasmically awesome.
Hmmm its a shame if CTRA is going away. This although I dont drive there that often anymore. Due to the CTRA I am where I am now. However saying that the CTRA is developt by UKCT is B.llshit.

I was one off the test people in the days before CTRA went live. We had dialy contact about bugs and things that needed to test out. And it was becky who build the system. All the credits go to her. Off course it has been altered by teh whizzkids from UKCT but never the less, Becky wrote the base of CTRA. You just cant deny that.

Anyway not trying to be a **** or stir up the pot but ignoring the fact that someone else wrote it is kinda strang to me.
The non-LFS demands on the original team have changed, as life does. The system can't change without compromising the ideals and ways of running the system that have contributed to the success as much as the code and website have. Certain things haven't changed, such as the quality of reports we get in, trying to make the software rock-steady, the whole Becky-was-involved-but-now-isn't-but-still-posts-about-it-all thing that I thought had been put to bed over a year ago but we still hear about it on a regular basis.

In my opinion the system can either be fully automated so that there's no manual involvment on a day-to-day basis or closed. There's no place for a system that needs this amount of unpaid manual work.

If you think you can monetise the system and want to make us an offer so you can put your ideas into practise, send it over to me via PM and we'll discuss details. If you won't put your money up, please don't tell us we should be taking the risk. Somehow, I'm not sure I'll get that many PMs.

Once we get this sorted out we can look to the future, which will hopefully hold a brighter prospect for everyone.
#81 - SamH
niels, you seem to be under the mistaken belief that the CTRA is just one application running on a server. It's far from just that application, it has a massive back-end as well. It's many things working together - databases, web APIs, websites and server hardware. To work, it has always depended on them all working together, and for them all to work together it has always required several different people doing things that they know best how to do.

So you know who you saw doing the front-end bit that connects to LFS during beta testing, and I'm glad for you. What you don't know was who was doing what on the back-end at the time, or in the year and a half since then either. I'm pretty sure that Becky will even admit that at the end of building the X-System, she still couldn't construct a SQL statement on her own. I know times have changed now, but a lot of people in UKCT will and have taken exception to the suggestion they made diddly shit contribution to the X-System.

Quote from niels1 :Anyway not trying to be a **** or stir up the pot

Failed, niels, big time.
Nobody has said you haven't done a HELL OF A LOT for where CTRA is right now. You need to re-read things if you think that. All that's been said is the concept and the initial work was by Becky...... and acknowledgement for that, there should be!

Here's what you need!!!!

#83 - SamH
I was specifically referring to niels' post, Andy. When Becky left UKCT and CTRA, the role of project lead moved to me. Becky objected, wanting to remain project lead despite leaving the project, and demanded that her name be removed entirely. We complied.

If Becky had asked to be recognised as the originator of the code or something, we would have complied but that wasn't what Becky demanded. Becky now apparently wants credit again and if that's the case, she can have it. But I won't accept that the whole thing was Becky's work. It's simply not true.

The entire project was the work of Becky and myself, and several UKCT members, including huge help from Dave Thornton-Cousins, Mike Hayward and Alistair Baillie. Becky wrote the InSim application and I devised and created the supporting database backend and the CTRA websites, and many other people did many other things as well, because Becky and I couldn't do it all ourselves.
I somehow have the feeling this thread has peaked in terms of constructiveness.
Quote from SamH :niels, you seem ...............

Did I say you werent involved or UKCT ?
Did I say that becky was the one and only ?

Hmm I think not, read between lines Sam. I only said regarding to this thread that becky is the one who wrote the base of it. Starting off with STCC and building forward towards the X system. I know about backend etcetra takes a lot of work. Webpages etcerta. Nobody including me said you didnt do nothing. Sure it is a big task. But they were denying here within reading between the lines that becky wasnt invovled.

You need to relax a bit here. Like I said I am where I am today thanks due to the CTRA. I had good times there, some off the best and would be a shame to close it. It seperates the wreckers from the drivers and is the learning school for LFS. But you just cant deny the fact becky has had a strong influence in the system. That just wouldnt be right.

Really Sam I never thought you look at me this way. Dont treat me like a child and stop patronise me.
#86 - SamH
Okay, niels, then let's recap:

"saying that the CTRA is developt by UKCT is B.llshit"
I'm saying it's not "B.llshit", it's a fact. Am I supposed to agree with you, and insult the UKCT guys this way? No, niels.

"it was becky who build the system"
Actually, there was a whole team of people building the system. Becky wrote the InSim interface, and she did a fantastic job, but "the system" was built by ALL of us.

"All the credits go to her."
No, niels, all credits go to everyone involved in UKCT, including those who just gave us money to pay for the server so that we could keep this up.

"Off course it has been altered by teh whizzkids from UKCT but never the less, Becky wrote the base of CTRA. You just cant deny that."
I've never denied that Becky wrote the X-System insim interface. That would be ridiculous. I removed her from the credits when she demanded it, but now that that is being used as a weapon against me, I'm not impressed. I feel like I've been set up.

I'm not interested in reading between the lines. If you have something to say, bloody well say it. If not, then quit with the cloak and dagger crap because I'm not into that nonsense.
So no CTRA MRT Challenge?

I love CTRA, best servers and racing LFS has to offer by far. Would be a shame to see it go.

If the inevitable does happen, id like to thank all involved for providing the best system in sim-racing.
#88 - SamH
Stop this bollocks now. I can see several lies already, here is a clear one.

Quote :I was specifically referring to niels' post, Andy. When Becky left UKCT and CTRA, the role of project lead moved to me. Becky objected, wanting to remain project lead despite leaving the project, and demanded that her name be removed entirely. We complied.

I dont know if I didnt come over right, it wasnt easy speaking to you then, but you appear to have missunderstood - how would I be project lead when I didnt even have access to the servers? That's just daft. I think, perhaps, you where being so irrational back then that you failed to understand what I was saying, and perhaps this is my fault for being too emotionally distressed at that time to take the necessary step back and explain myself clearer.

Quote :If Becky had asked to be recognised as the originator of the code or something, we would have compliedp

I spent several emails explaining exactly that, to no avail. You seemed to have it in your head at the time that you where no the project lead and I was programmer no #5.

EDIT: I should also point out for the befit of observers, that I too had my nose out of joint and I wont claim to be an angel, far from it as personalities go i've probably spent more time dodging the old bill around here than most of the forum. When I spotted that i'd been demoted to insignificance on the credits contact with Sam at that point was completely hostile so I tried to keep it formal, I sent a cease & desist, not for the system, but for the slander of the credits. I did not handle the situation any better than Sam did at the time. I'd argue that since then I have grown, and I think Sam would accept and indeed frequently boasts he's the most obtuous person in living history.

I've been watching this argument and not getting involved, I wanted to sit it out, but these are outright lies here and i've had enough.

Cut it out: Post your last twisted history and lock the thread as you usually do please. I dont care if you get the last word, i'm not being spoken about like this.

Quote :Becky wrote the InSim application and I devised and created the supporting database backend and the CTRA websites

The supporting database used by X-System was devised by me. The supporting tables and fields used by the web site where added to it. Just because I didnt type CREATE table doesnt make it your "invention", ****ing hell man I sent you text fields with field names and var type/size definitions that I wanted...

roflz. This thread is madness, the CTRA attacking their own users...

Look, I came up with STCC, then the server control system, I roped you guys in I lead the project I was the visionary behind it and I pulled off stuff that even made you guys, informed as to what was going on as you where, say wow and be suprised. We then rowed, I wont go over that here, and you guys carried on with development ... although development has been light.

What I never did myself was much of the admin work, the guys who did that where fantastic to give so much of themselves for very little credit, most of them still havnt been named publicly, that's real sad in a way, because the X-System by it's end will have had more involvement from them in man hours than anyone else.

"Oh did I forget to mention the guy who did the little web page? Silly me. Not to worry the web page was never a big part of it it's trivial and doesnt really matter somebody I dont like wrote it..." - See what I did there Sam?

Sick, ****ing sick. Swear at me, type some more lies, and lock the thread having had the last word as you usually do.
#90 - SamH
All I can say is that this is classic "Becky" stuff.

After some pretty foul correspondence following your departure from the project, I did as you demanded.

Quote from Becky Rose, cease and desist notice :I must say that I am deeply offended that, amongst your numerous credits, you have assumed "Project Lead".

It might displease you to hear that database grunt and web guy is not usually accredited with being the creative lead on a project.

Whilst I have no problem with not getting credit I find it extremely offensive for somebody to assume credit for something I did.

Remove your false accreditation as the Project Lead. That is not a title you have earned.

[..]

I would rather be removed from the credits completly

FTR, after Becky left the project, I DID take over the role of Project Lead. Ask anyone in UKCT who was leading the project.
How about taking it to PM's. This is turning fu*king ugly and i don't think we want to see it tbh.

It's been bloody obvious for a long time that there is bad blood between you guys. It's very boring watching your public squabbles.

(no offence meant Sam and Becky.... I respect the work you've both done, but fighting about who did what in public is starting to get a bit tiresome.)
or in other words... get a room
#93 - SamH
Nahh, I have absolutely no interest in discussing this stuff here or in PMs. Let Becky say her stuff, those that matter know the facts.
Sam stop twisting the story!

Becky obviously wanted nothing to do with the project or YOU after what you did to her... which is totally understandable considering you basically just STOLE it from her! yes, STOLE it!

Remember when I was developing a small insim app for one of my servers and happened to ask you how to get the player name when a blue flag is waved? You admitted to me that you had no idea how to use the programming language that Becky used to create the X-System... I still have those PM's too... maybe i should post them and refresh your memory? You should rethink what you are saying here and stop acting like a twat!

As far as im concerned ... the only thing you are responsible for is the website.
#95 - SamH
Okay, thanks for the input teedot. I'm well impressed. I had no idea I stole the X-System. Yowzer.
#96 - SamH
Thanks to everyone for your input. This thread has, in the end, helped me to make a final decision regarding the CTRA.

Apologies for locking and running but there's absolutely no point in discussing this topic one moment further.
This thread is closed

Current CTRA state
(96 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG