The online racing simulator
Current CTRA state
(96 posts, closed, started )
#51 - Jakg
I do read your posts, S14 DAFT. :P
Quote from Jakg :I do read your posts, S14 DAFT. :P

You cant really avoid them these days. I swear he posts in every single thread.

He'll catch your post count by the end of the year at this rate
Daft both by name, and by nature.

Anyway, I'll say it real now.

I don't know what way to put this without it sounding... mean/harsh/rude but it seems like there's some else there.

Maybe it's something else, but yeah. If Sam (a person) is that tired out FROM RUNNING A SERVER FOR AN ONLINE GAME, two things (in my twisted opinion) need to happen.. well, 3, if you want to be like that.

1) Recruit some help. Not doing this would be a completely stupid thing NOT to do.
2) Maybe find a job? It seems like Sam spends all his time doing CTRA, that wouldn't be working (i.e in an office or something). Perhaps that'd be a better thing to spend your time doing... (i.e you're a grown ass man get a job, if you don't have one..)
3) Close CTRA unless he doesn't want to find help to run/admin his servers. Why he wouldn't find help is beyond me.

Saying that, making completely irrelevant/baiting posts (like his one towards Becky above) doesn't help him, it's only gunna make (Sam) him more stressed 'cause he's just being a grouchy git about everything..

(which have since been deleted.. suprisingly! )
My wierd opinions^.
4) Grant Platinum racers and above with a yellow ratio under 10-15% admin rights and duties. X reports done per month to maintain their status
After all these guys spend their life on CTRA, what about a few report processing hours as well?
Make it a 2 admin mandatory review for the newcomers and you have a nice bunch of "volunteers" cleaning the pile.
Quote from The Moose :You cant really avoid them these days. I swear he posts in every single thread.

He'll catch your post count by the end of the year at this rate

+1

And btw S14 Drift... who the hell pisses on your cereal everyday?
I bet you are nice guy, but damn... the way you show your opinions is soo negative, angry and brutal, that it's starting to make you look like an polemic-maniac or something imo.
Get laid! That's an order!

Cheers...
Woot! That makes me an admin.. although I don't see that happening.

Although I've said, I often only do 2 or 3 races a night and wouldn't mind cutting out my racing involvement almost completely to help admin... somehow I don't think I'm the right person for the job..

As I said Fox, I couldn't think of another way to put it.. I've (or I'd like to think) I've been a much more amiable chap recently, unless you'd rather me revert to being like that to every single person in every single thread.

I was thinking out loud..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

As I said Fox, I couldn't think of another way to put it...

There's allways another way to put it.....just ask my ex's!
Quote from Mille Sabords :4) Grant Platinum racers and above with a yellow ratio under 10-15% admin rights and duties. X reports done per month to maintain their status
After all these guys spend their life on CTRA, what about a few report processing hours as well?
Make it a 2 admin mandatory review for the newcomers and you have a nice bunch of "volunteers" cleaning the pile.

There many people driving around with sub 10% yellow flag ratio's which are totally ignorant of rules or common sense. I would not mind reviewing some reports myself, but hey, everybody trusts their own opinion.
Sorry to hear CTRA is having troubled times. I hope it keeps going as it's the first place I look for competitive fun racing most times of day. And I'm still working my way up the licence tree!

Some ideas I had that might alleviate the situation, in no particular order:
a) have "seasons" with a week or two's break every couple of months to give an opportunity to clear any report backlogs, have a break, implement bug fixes / improvements / rule changes etc.
b) try and further automate some aspects of racing that can cause situations that lead to reports, e.g. quickly auto-spectating idle drivers, those who drive the wrong way, those who are overly slow, those who have a blue flag on their screen for more than (n) seconds - if any of these were possible it could ease the reports pressure a bit
c) open the pits later in the race for mid race joiners
d) as others have said, recruit some more assistance for report processing although maybe reducing the possibilities for report situations to occur would make this less necessary

Probably others too. Let's hope it can keep going as it's a very good framework, retaining interest in pick up racing for experienced racers whilst offering a structured introduction to sim racing for newbies.
Quote from Jakg :UKCT made the CTRA app and then hosted the servers and dealt with the reports for the benefit or LFS drivers - sounds like a service to me...?

I think you're missing out the key ingredient here, Becky!
i wasnt gonna get involved in this one but here i go

first of all its something i have seen coming for a while like a few people, and it doesnt suprise me that sam is tired of all the work involved with it, hell many paid jobs are less work, but what happens happens, and if the ctra closes, temperary or permaneant, it will only be because it was nessasary. im not getting to far into the money side of things but what i will say is that donations are surely a possibility and i think would prove to work but it depends.

to stablex: remember when the ctra app was made becky was a member of ukct so jack is intirely correct
Becky isn't a member of UKCT anymore, hasn't been for quite a while..
Quote from james12s :to stablex: remember when the ctra app was made becky was a member of ukct so jack is intirely correct

Becky was still the key ingredient

Anyway, back on topic, if you think there isn't a way to earn good money, get people in that are more geared to that so people like Simon can get some money for all the hard work put in!
yes i know s14, somehow i dont think ide miss the fact since i a aukct member myself

what i was saying is that the project was done by ukct and when becky was working on the system she was part of ukct. if she had worked on it while not it the ukct jack would be wrong

stable x: i am not disbuting the fact the becky was one of several key ingredients
Quote from james12s :stable x: i am not disbuting the fact the becky was one of several key ingredients

yup, I'm not disputing Jack's comment either Just saying what a key part Becky was ...... sorry for misunderstanding...
Well I'm sorry, I didn't notice.. don't take it personally.

But to take your own theory.. say you're working for a supermarket. While you're at the checkouts one day, no-one's shopping so you're sat there doing nothing.. You come up with an ingenious plan that is of great interest to many people.

You set your idea up and it's all going well. You then leave the supermarket, but the supermarket try to claim credit for what you're doing.. would you let them?

Anyway, this whole thing is offf topic.

Lulz
Quote from Jakg :Not really - several non-UKCT members already help with the reports, but I don't think Sam wants to give out admin rights "randomly" - i.e. without knowing someones character.

That's understandable, but there are so many fine chaps in the LFS community, I find hard to believe there are no more suitable candidates
np stable and s14 i totally agree about the supermarket thing lol, all im try to stop is people try to say is that mst the hard work was done by becky, she did do alot of hard work and is an excellent programmer but others have worked equally as hard

anyway that tbh is a bit off topic,

and im goning to bed lol cos im fing tired lol
For the record, X-System is an evolution of the STCC Servers which I wrote before joining UKCT, X-System was coded whilst at UKCT, but is infact only the 3rd significant milestone of the server management project. So it's only sort-of right to say I was UKCT at the time I wrote it, I was for some of the time yes but the whole thing was devised and coded before joining the team. I first got close to UKCT when looking for somebody to host the league races, and didn't really spend that much time with UKCT until looking for hosting for the tiered server project.

I wont comment on some of the negative things mentioned earlier or indeed in the deleted post, and I wont give any advise as i'm sure it wont be received well.

Instead i'll keep to the positive and thank some of the postee's for their nice comments and hope you have all enjoyed the servers since they first saw light in, crickey was it 2006 ? I really am terribly with dates, maybe it was '07... Somebody will correct me i'm sure. They sure have lasted a long time and no small part of that was the team of admins working silently and tirelessly in the background. It's sad that that team has broken up and not stayed as a unit. When X launched it was all about being a team effort, but somewhere along the way it's all ended up on the shoulders of 1 man. It's too much for 1 person.
Sorry to go off topic, but do you have any idea when your Blue thing is going to be coming out?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Sorry to go off topic, but do you have any idea when your Blue thing is going to be coming out?

You're in the same team as Becky, and your team is going to do the beta testing. I think you (SR) will be the first to know
#72 - CSF
Quote from obsolum :You're in the same team as Becky, and your team is going to do the beta testing. I think you (SR) will be the first to know

Wrong [SR], he is in Storm Racing.

I can just imagine his joy if he were involved in it though.
Ah, I see. There are way too many similar - or even identical - teamtags
Firstly, I have to echo the fine words from others - Sam and the whole team behind CTRA (past and present) have done us all a great service, and I'm very grateful. Most of my last few hundred races have been on CTRA servers.
But burning out because of it is a Bad Thing, so put yourself first Sam.

On the report backlog issue - one suggestion which doesn't seem to have come up in this thread: Wipe The Slate Clean. How about an amnesty for all unprocessed reports?

Someone said in another thread that they would personally delete their old reports if they could, as they felt it was unfair for someone to get hit with a punishment months after the offence, perhaps even after they have become a reformed citizen... I have a lot of sympathy for that approach.

And wiping the slate clean would lift a very large weight off the shoulders of the admin(s)...

It's not a total solution of course, and the ongoing burden may still be too much to bear.

Whatever happens, many many thanks for CTRA, and good luck for the future.
Very sad news indeed. During my first year with LFS I did virtually all my racing in the CTRA, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. IMO the system is unique and very well maintained.

I was also curious to see how X2 would play out. From what I've read, it could have pretty much revolutionized the whole LFS experience. It might even have been a model for other sims as well (iRacing for example). Did you ever consider "exporting" your stuff to other sims..? That might bring in some steady income!
This thread is closed

Current CTRA state
(96 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG