Why Close The Pitlane Before Race Start?
Just now I joined Race 3, and it was about to restart. I went to pit, selected a car, chose a setup and fuel and clicked Join just as the field had spawned on the grid. I had 6-8 seconds till the red lights started coming on.

Why doesn't CTRA allow me to join? Instead of letting me race, I get a "Pit Lane Is Currently Closed" messsage. Why? I can understand not allowing me to join 0.1 sec before the greens, but I had several seconds to spare. The server or grid weren't full either.
Quote from Lateralus :Just now I joined Race 3, and it was about to restart. I went to pit, selected a car, chose a setup and fuel and clicked Join just as the field had spawned on the grid. I had 6-8 seconds till the red lights started coming on.

Why doesn't CTRA allow me to join? Instead of letting me race, I get a "Pit Lane Is Currently Closed" messsage. Why? I can understand not allowing me to join 0.1 sec before the greens, but I had several seconds to spare. The server or grid weren't full either.

Weird, usually allows me to enter before green. Probably just an isolated event.
Quote from MijnWraak :Weird, usually allows me to enter before green. Probably just an isolated event.

I thought that too, the first time it happened. This must be the 4th or 5th time since then.
Quote from MijnWraak :Weird, usually allows me to enter before green. Probably just an isolated event.

No, it never allows me and always been like that
Quote from chanoman315 :No, it never allows me and always been like that

It always allows me if i join before lights start to turn red, always been like that.
Hmm, nobody so far has a clear answer so here's my guess
If you are on the grid, i.e. have already JOINed the racing, you can duck into the pits and change set and rejoin. If however, the server has activated the restart, maybe then nobody new can join even though the people already on the grid can pit and rejoin... ??

I am not entirely certain I've ever done what you did Lateralus.
However, I am certain that I have dived into the pits and rejoined, more than once, successfully.
I'm also pretty sure that on at least one occasion I've not managed to rejoin. That *could* have been an occasion when I had just joined the server though...

It could be an LFS feature coming into play here? In that when you enter the pits from spectate mode, the button you are offered is JOIN. When you dive into the pits *from* the grid, the button you get offered is OK. So the game treats you differently...

If you have any hope at all of beating this, it's probably to Shift-J immediately if the "Restarts in ..." countdown is showing and then immediately Shift-P. I dunno when CTRA decides not to let Shift-J work of course - if it's when the countdown starts then you'd be stuffed anyway
I've experienced things like this as well. I think it's a set time after the race has set to restart or something.

I'm not sure, actually. Either way, when it happens it's quite annoying..
X-System closes the grid after a fixed amount of time, LFS however holds the grid a random amount of time before making the lights go green with bigger fields being held for longer.

It therefore is not possible for X-System to know the exact moment when the lights go green, and has to work with both small and large grids. Consequently there is a period of time where LFS has the cars on the grid and you cannot join.

To compensate for this a 15 second warning is given before the race is restarted in the first place.
what's annoying is when this happens, and there aren't any cars on the grid...

can't join because the pit is closed...
can't restart because you're in spec mode...
which only leaves leaving the server, which normally changes the track... ugh.
Quote from Becky Rose :It therefore is not possible for X-System to know the exact moment when the lights go green, and has to work with both small and large grids. Consequently there is a period of time where LFS has the cars on the grid and you cannot join.

Aha... Having access to the source code makes this sort of thing much easier (Or in your case, being the author of the code! )

Quote from bunder9999 :what's annoying is when this happens, and there aren't any cars on the grid...

Ouch, hasn't happened to me but sounds like a simple-to-fix buglet... Is there any bug-fixing going on in the X-System?
Quote from Neilser :Aha... Having access to the source code makes this sort of thing much easier (Or in your case, being the author of the code! )

Even though she's not on the list of credits..

Guessing that's from the big fall out that happened a while back.
Quote from Becky Rose :X-System closes the grid after a fixed amount of time, LFS however holds the grid a random amount of time before making the lights go green with bigger fields being held for longer.

It therefore is not possible for X-System to know the exact moment when the lights go green, and has to work with both small and large grids. Consequently there is a period of time where LFS has the cars on the grid and you cannot join.

To compensate for this a 15 second warning is given before the race is restarted in the first place.

This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Even though she's not on the list of credits..

Yes, I got bumped down to about the 5th coder which I felt was not representative of my involvement and, worse, was negative should I be looking for a job and somebody found it on google. Sam was not willing to create an appropriate 'original concept' or 'founder' or somesuch credit so I asked to be removed completely to protect my professional life.

Quote :what's annoying is when this happens, and there aren't any cars on the grid...

That's an odd one, I thought I accounted for that in the original code. Sorry, either the code for that has stopped working or it never existed.
Quote from Becky Rose : Sam was not willing to create an appropriate 'original concept' or 'founder' or somesuch credit

Vote to boycott ctra for this? Has to be some type of plagiarism
#15 - SamH
Quote from MijnWraak :Vote to boycott ctra for this? Has to be some type of plagiarism

Sounds like it to me! Boycot CTRA, definitely!

The full text of Becky's "cease and desist" notice and all related correspondence is and has always been available to all UKCT and UKCT community members. Becky's apparently still upset because UKCT members have unanimously rejected her request to return to UKCT. Ironically, it's because of this and other outbursts on this forum that that is now even more the case than it ever was before.

I'm reliably informed that UKCT and I will remain the target of Becky's angry little outbursts until we are willing to start being friends with her again. Umm..

And that helps the situation how?
I said only the facts of why i'm not on the credits.

If we want to get into details I am not doing it here where the last word and it's twisted history gets posted as the thread is locked.

I'll ask everyone to ignore "my mates saw my commentary and edited logs and they said i'm right, they is my mates afterall" as it is not evidence of anything. As for the being rejected by UKCT, I had drinks with some, have chatted on MSN with some, but I never was that close to the rest of the group that I was with you Sam. *shrug*

Again, twisted history.

When the **** are you going to grow up? I'm twice the man you are and I dont even have the hormones.
#18 - AMB
And SamH was my favourite Mod, what's happened to him :S

Can't believe he's still a Mod after some of his posts....
Why do so many of my innocuous threads here get massively derailed?

If any admin sees this, please close it. The issue is settled and the current discussion has nothing to do with my original question.
Closed Per Op's desire.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG