The online racing simulator
Race2 could use some promotion?
Last few days Race1 has been very busy, today on SO1 there were a few racers unable to join the grid, all while Race2 was sadly empty, in spite at least half of grid being composed by Silver+ drivers.

Perhaps a brief message could appear after race end informing the Silver+ drivers they can also race STD cars on Race2 - what do you think?
That's a pretty good idea. It gets lonely on race 2 sometimes
+1, now the server got changed and still nobody races on there.

I think many drivers just didn't realize yet that you can drive XFG+XRG on Race 2 now, though.
Quote from zeugnimod :I think many drivers just didn't realize yet that you can drive XFG+XRG on Race 2 now, though.

Agreed. The majority of CTRA racers hardly visit the forum and so may not know about the change. Some kind of message on Race 1 on regular intervals and/or during peak hours would help, I think.
In Team Fortress, clans with multiple servers spam about what their other servers are doing every few minutes. This can be useful and annoying. But I think with CTRA, after the race, it would be quite useful. In fact, I'm sure there was a server that did the same thing...
That information after race would be a nice idea. Would be nice to see ctra2 back on action. I dont see even 5 peoples at a same time racing in there now
thats why i dont go on race 1.... its full of people with silver+ licenses smoking everyone making it nearly impossible to get any points to new people..... how about a restriction, like no points can be earned on Race 1 to people with silver or higher licence or something.
How about a reminder to silver+ licenced users about Race 2 or something?

DevilDare there are plenty of (fast...ish) bronze and copper licenced users around, although very few of them are clean (or nice to race with!).

Besides, if you think silver+ licenced people race in Race 1 for points, you're wrong..

I get 6-10 points per win (with fastest lap), I race there cause I know a few regulars and I can improve my times on tracks I want the record for.. I raced exclusively on Race 1 from Copper to Platinum and it's taken me not far off a year.

How about teaching these 'new people' how to race cleanly..
Quote from AjRose :That's a pretty good idea. It gets lonely on race 2 sometimes

it gets lonely cuz u wont slow down and wait for me ya alien

how about a "try race2!" to go along with the "race full" message?
I had no idea that the XFG could race in Race 2 now. I swear there's some more interesting tracks on that server too! I'll have a go tonight to see what it's like!
Does race2 server ever run TBO ? like the old days?

I'll try race2 soon

SD.
Race 2 server is now dual-class with both TBO and STD enabled. It is empty most of the time, though.
Quote from SparkyDave :Does race2 server ever run TBO ? like the old days?

I'll try race2 soon

SD.

Always has done, LRF shared the server for a bit and now it is the turn of XFG/XRG.
Meet ya there later Zeug, thanks for the info,
I didn't know, until coming here, and would have changed the other night from race1 if I had realised maybe some ingame message when race1 reaches a certian capacity? just a thought not a request, I dont want to make Sam any Iller (Ill-er? )

EDIT: Cheers Beano, guess Ive been away too long

SD.
Quote from DevilDare :thats why i dont go on race 1.... its full of people with silver+ licenses smoking everyone making it nearly impossible to get any points to new people..... how about a restriction, like no points can be earned on Race 1 to people with silver or higher licence or something.

How do you expect to cope when you finally get your silver licence?
Quote from DevilDare :thats why i dont go on race 1.... its full of people with silver+ licenses smoking everyone making it nearly impossible to get any points to new people..... how about a restriction, like no points can be earned on Race 1 to people with silver or higher licence or something.

Tend to agree with you, always bugged me when I was copper/bronze but I worked at it and fluked a Silver license.

I always viewed Race1 is the learner server, were beginners come to learn race craft and improve themselves, there's little hope for that when there currently smoked by people who have a Platinum license and can run with tenths of the WR.

I do believe that Race1 should be for Copper/bronze only, especially considering that Race2 now allows the STD cars alongside the TBO.
I think forcing people to race on Race 2 would not be fair - There are some very nice combos on Race 1, and I (people) don't always want to run a 6 lap race around Aston GP in an XFG - We don't have all week!

To be fair, if people aren't winning when higher ranked people are there, it's unlikely they will gain much, if anything. (2 or 3 points a race won't make up for consistantly coming 8th. :shrug)
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I think forcing people to race on Race 2 would not be fair - There are some very nice combos on Race 1, and I (people) don't always want to run a 6 lap race around Aston GP in an XFG - We don't have all week!

To be fair, if people aren't winning when higher ranked people are there, it's unlikely they will gain much, if anything. (2 or 3 points a race won't make up for consistantly coming 8th. :shrug)

what about a limit on the amount of higher ranked players? have too many on race 1, and the rest get a message to try race 2? could also work to boost the empty SS 2 server. maybe 5 racers max?
Quote from bunder9999 :what about a limit on the amount of higher ranked players? have too many on race 1, and the rest get a message to try race 2? could also work to boost the empty SS 2 server. maybe 5 racers max?

Not really, that is a bit unprofessional with the " first come, first served" rule.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :...I always viewed Race1 is the learner server, were beginners come to learn race craft and improve themselves, there's little hope for that when there currently smoked by people who have a Platinum license and can run with tenths of the WR.

I do believe that Race1 should be for Copper/bronze only, especially considering that Race2 now allows the STD cars alongside the TBO.

I strongly disagree with this.
1) learners should deserve licenses, if only copper / bronze are allowed on the entry server it will be too easy to advance and will not demonstrate the ability to race.
2) fighting with more experienced (but not necessarily faster) drivers is fun and teaches more than being only amongst other beginners. It also grants more satisfaction to fight with higher license holders and pass them, and gives slower ones an idea of what is possible to achieve with practice.
3) Not all that start racing on CTRA servers are newbies to LFS. They need some opposition as well else it would make it (even more) unattractive to start CTRA for already experienced racers.

Please higher license keep going on Race1 from time to time, to teach, report, explain, share tips and sets. It makes it welcoming instead of turning the server into a surviver race "mad max" style.
Quote from Mille Sabords :I strongly disagree with this.
1) learners should deserve licenses, if only copper / bronze are allowed on the entry server it will be too easy to advance and will not demonstrate the ability to race.
2) fighting with more experienced (but not necessarily faster) drivers is fun and teaches more than being only amongst other beginners. It also grants more satisfaction to fight with higher license holders and pass them, and gives slower ones an idea of what is possible to achieve with practice.
3) Not all that start racing on CTRA servers are newbies to LFS. They need some opposition as well else it would make it (even more) unattractive to start CTRA for already experienced racers.

Please higher license keep going on Race1 from time to time, to teach, report, explain, share tips and sets. It makes it welcoming instead of turning the server into a surviver race "mad max" style.

I agree...Now

When this discussion came up before and I had a lower license I was on the other side of the argument. I thought that the higher licenses should stay off the Race1 server and let us race people of our own skill level. I was wrong! Racing against higher licensesed drivers improves skill sets. You can learn from them and get great sets.

I still like to race on race1 sometimes. I have a Platinum license but very rarely do I win on Race1. I am just not that fast. I have learned to accept this fact. There is almost always someone faster there.
But I love to share sets and have nice clean races with a new group of racers that I haven't raced before. I find quite often that I need to let a driver know about a rule that they are breaking or something that they are doing that is not cool. Most times they are receptive and take the advice to heart.
Sometimes not and they get reported. Either way they learn and hopefully become a better "competitor" and or driver to race against.

So the argument is equally right both ways. It just depends where your sitting at the moment.
Don't be in such a hurry to get off Race1 it is some of the best racing to be had on LFS.
If by "best racing" you mean "Lots of inexperienced people who have no idea of racecraft", then sure.

When Race 2 is busy, that's where the real racing is!
This thread ain't about forcing anyone to do anything, and there have been other discussions about moving higher licensed drivers to other servers but it never worked out for sound reasons, some of which have been posted already.

Despite the encouraging partecipation, I haven't seen a post from the CT guys; maybe they're just busy sorting out reports or something else, but I guess it's just a matter of time before STD are dumped from Race2 anyway
Not busy sorting out reports.. :hide:

Dunno what they're doing - Don't care anymore!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :If by "best racing" you mean "Lots of inexperienced people who have no idea of racecraft", then sure.

I said "some of the best racing". And yes this is the place to learn the "racecraft" so its to be expected that not everyone knows what they are doing. If you fail to expect some mistakes on this server you are the one with the problem

Race2 could use some promotion?
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG