The online racing simulator
IGTC 2008 Season Rules

Hello racers!

Attached are the IGTC 2008 season rules.

I have to warn you, this is a large document (12 pages). Based on our experience in editing (and editing and editing and editing) the rules last year, we have attempted to cover as many possibilities as possible with this year's rule set. Our philosophy is that it's better to have a rule ready to go than to have to invent one on the fly.

As ever, I'm sure that there must be some small errors somewhere in the document. I mean here errors of consistency, spelling, numbering, etc. If you find any of these, please let me (DWB) know. (Note: I've used American English for these rules, so don't bother correcting my spelling of "behavior." I'm looking at you, Appie.)

There are some major changes from last year, most notably to the points system, the qualifying period, and the objections system. Please be sure to read the entire document, and team managers, please encourage your drivers to do so as well. It will save us all some headaches.

You can also find the rules on the IGTC site.

UPDATED Jul. 24, 2008

Thanks, and enjoy!
Attached files
IGTC 2008 Season Rules Tracked Changes.doc - 103.5 KB - 406 views
IGTC 2008 Season Rules.doc - 99 KB - 398 views
w00t! I have a permanent place (well, at least for 2008) in the rules!

Quote :2) Driver names should be formatted in the following manner:

XX .

for example

01 L.Baker

Where “XX” is the team's car number. Car number must be in white. Team colors may be used in the rest of the name, if so desired.

Good work IGTC admins!
Ah, and you highlighted one of the errors in our first draft of the web version, too. :P
Nice touch on the qualifying system, thanks for the rules!
Sweet. 43 days?
Question about Penaltys being served during SC periods:

If a car has entered (or is past a point of no return) the pitlane for a SG penalty, and once the car has entered pit lane, a SC comes out, can that penalty still be served, or does it breach the rules?

Also, slight suggestion, maybe on the website, make the Rule bits at the top links to anchors at the beginning of each header of rules?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Question about Penaltys being served during SC periods:

If a car has entered (or is past a point of no return) the pitlane for a SG penalty, and once the car has entered pit lane, a SC comes out, can that penalty still be served, or does it breach the rules?

In that situation the car would continue through pit lane and re-assume the position it occupied at the time the SC period started, since the field is frozen when the SC period starts. It may serve its penalty at the end of the first flying lap after the green. I'll add this to the rules, thanks Dustin.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :In that situation the car would continue through pit lane and re-assume the position it occupied at the time the SC period started, since the field is frozen when the SC period starts. It may serve its penalty at the end of the first flying lap after the green. I'll add this to the rules, thanks Dustin.

In the case of a DT penalty, what would happen, becuase if it's already entered (or in the entry to pitlane in the case of BL), there's no way to avoid serving the DT, would the penalty be re-assessed, or would it be a valid serving of the penalty because his intentions were already made clear before the SC phase.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :...Also, slight suggestion, maybe on the website, make the Rule bits at the top links to anchors at the beginning of each header of rules?

I would do that if i knew how to code it. Also since i can't get at the source code with Freewebs i dont think i would be able to anyway.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :In the case of a DT penalty, what would happen, becuase if it's already entered (or in the entry to pitlane in the case of BL), there's no way to avoid serving the DT, would the penalty be re-assessed, or would it be a valid serving of the penalty because his intentions were already made clear before the SC phase.

Theres 2 situations that could happen for this which makes it difficult to judge.

1) You serve the penalty, no time is lost.

2) You serve the penalty but you are fighting for position. you loose 1 or more positions.

In both cases however you would loose no actual time and it is possible for a driver to bend the rules to his own advantage. Obviously a driver should never gain an advantage from any penalty situation. So on that basis i would say that the penalty should be re-assessed.
That's the thing, the way I see it, is that the driver has already committed to serving the penalty, it's outside of his control if something happens on the track as he's passing though, or has already made his entry to the pitlane.
Thats true, but because there is a possibility to gain an advantage from it I believe the penalty should be re-assessed. It can't be one rule for some and another rule for others. You dont loose much time even if you do loose a position anyway.
Yeah, the point of the penalty is for it to be served under green flag situations. The yellow flag/SC makes it possible to erase any punishment from the act of serving the DT, hence it cannot count.
I dunno, I have issues comprehending how it makes sense logically, if a driver's already entered pitlane (Especially for a Drive Through), how a SC phase starting has him gain an advantage. If anything it disadvantages him by re-applying a penalty that he already began to serve by entering the pitlane. It just doesn't make sense to penalize someone further, when they began to serve their penalty, but due to external forces, forced to be re-penalized, losing more time and position. I'm sorry guys, but it's just illogical.

A way to make it logical, is that on SC Phase, all cars who have not already entered pitlane, are unable to serve penalties, but those of which whom are already past the magical white line of entrance, can serve only a DT penalty (no SG penaltys allowed).

A hockey metaphor for the first situation, is if someone got a slashing penalty, would you have them serve the penalty, and then just because the period ended, make them serve the full 2 minutes again?
I understand that it may sound illogical that you can gain an advantage but think about it properly.

If you serve a DT as the SC is called out, once you have exited the pits you will rejoin the queue and loose virtually no time unless you are overtaken. Which is why you can't serve a DT or SG under yellow flag conditions. The fact that you entered the pits under green means nothing because once you exit the pits the whole field has been slowed down for you to catch up the 20-30 seconds or so you would of lost under green.

Making judgment calls mid race and giving BOTD is asking for trouble, especially under an SC situation. Thus it's better to have just one rule that applies to all situations and guarantee's no advantage.
*sigh*

Whatever...
Let me clarify something Benji said there ("unless you are overtaken")...

If a car is in the process of entering pit lane for a DT as the SC period comes out, the car will continue through the pit lane (which in the case of a DT will clear the penalty; SG or 45S not so much) and rejoin the field. Since the field is frozen when the yellow comes out, if that car has been passed while driving through the pits, it will be allowed to re-pass and assume the position it held when the SC period began (will be instructed to do so by the marshals). There will be no double penalty, because the position is maintained.

Then when the green comes back out, the DT is re-applied and can be served.

edit: can you think of any real life series that allow penalties to be served under yellow flag/SC periods? (serious question)
i can thinm of real life ones that do if you are past the pit threshhold, the way i see it best to do it would be that is you are past the threshold you can contine but must join were you exit/at the back,almost every series i know of has this rule
What if you're 1m from the pit exit line and the SC comes out?
in this instance, and may be the best way of running it, you cannot exit the pits until the sc and the whole feild has passed, that is how most do it including f1 and alms
Quote from james12s : you cannot exit the pits until the sc and the whole feild has passed, that is how most do it including f1 and alms

Surely this is a good compromise?
I'd agree with it, becuase then you're able to serve your penalty to eliminate the issue I have with being penalized twice for the same infraction, and a person doesn't gain any advantage from it.
Quote from james12s :in this instance, and may be the best way of running it, you cannot exit the pits until the sc and the whole feild has passed, that is how most do it including f1 and alms

That turns a DT or SG into a mandatory 1 lap penalty, which is a bit unfair IMO.

I still don't understand where Dustin is getting this idea of a "double penalty."
There is one argument that make the "cannot exit the pits until the SC and whole field has passed by" bogus:

If you are entering pit lane when the SC comes out (and thus is ahead of you) and cannot leave until the SC and the whole field passes by, then you just went a lap down. In a lot of cases (unless just after a SC or at the start of a race), a DT during green does not mean you lose a lot of positions.

EDIT: Dammit Ben...slow down on those keys!! I had my response typed, and then got a phone call.
well you do a drive through trough the pits then its not valid so youhave to do it again, double penalty, and it doesnt give a 1 lap penalty, if you think about it, if you are at the back you could have a drive through or sg but not loose time cos you could pit while at the back then do the penalty and catch the field back up meaning it hasnt made an afect, therefore giving a similar effect to not allowing people to do penaltie at all,, but your desision, all im saying is that this is the way they do it in real enduro
well banshee is you are in 3rd then do your pit it would put you to the back , not loosing a lap but being at the back of the field

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG