The online racing simulator
Quote from zeugnimod :Aren't the restricted big GTRs in the same class as the small GTRs anyway?

I don't think they're supposed to be; they have a separate class and licence.
Oh, sorry then. Shouldn't talk about something I have no idea of.
I'm pretty sure that within a "class" the cars are placed on the grid in order of the previous races best lap time. so the faster drivers/cars will always be ahead.

SD.
Quote from zeugnimod :Oh, sorry then. Shouldn't talk about something I have no idea of.

You might be right, I'll wait for official confirmation.
Quote from zeugnimod :Oh, sorry then. Shouldn't talk about something I have no idea of.

Don't let that stop ya Zeug :P

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :I'm pretty sure that within a "class" the cars are placed on the grid in order of the previous races best lap time. so the faster drivers/cars will always be ahead.

SD.

I think you might be right. Most servers you will get a big difference in lap time, for instance the STD and TBO classes. They always start in the correct order. But GT2 and NGT at AS5 or 6, the times are less clear cut and can cause some problems. It's not actually possible for a GT2 car to set a good time if they're stuck behind the NGT cars and therefore they will never actually start in front of them.
Quote from SparkyDave :I'm pretty sure that within a "class" the cars are placed on the grid in order of the previous races best lap time. so the faster drivers/cars will always be ahead.

SD.

That is normally the case, but now we seem to get more and more higher classed cars towards the rear of the grid.

It is not uncommon to start right at the back in a GT1 and spend the first lap pussy footing around slower cars. With races just 4 laps long it means your race is over before it has begun really.
Quote from Bean0 :That is normally the case, but now we seem to get more and more higher classed cars towards the rear of the grid.

It is not uncommon to start right at the back in a GT1 and spend the first lap pussy footing around slower cars. With races just 4 laps long it means your race is over before it has begun really.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. We also had 2 Gt1s start at the back of the grid during his first race.
For the first race after a track change, the order of the grid is decided by drivers joining the grid at the Race End screen rather than by the X-System. After the first race, things should settle down and grid positions are grouped by car class and by lap time. Anyone leaving the pits at the last moment, after the grid has been set but before it's been actioned, will finish up at the back of the grid. Changing cars within a class, between races, will also affect your grid position because grid positions are set per car and grid groupings are set per class.
Just yesterday, I joined in a GT1 XRR near the end of a race.
The only lap I could complete was my outlap, the first 'flying lap' was after the race was over so wasn't timed.

I remained on track, and at the next restart was 3rd last, behind most of the slower classes.

Is this correct, or should I have been at the rear of the other GT1 class cars ?

Edit: Also, what is CTRA policy about people jumping up the grid ?
Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to hit join first and be on pole. I then went to select a setup, and returned to the lobby to find I was now demoted to 3rd with 2 damn XFRs in front of me.
Quote from Bean0 :Just yesterday, I joined in a GT1 XRR near the end of a race.
The only lap I could complete was my outlap, the first 'flying lap' was after the race was over so wasn't timed.

I remained on track, and at the next restart was 3rd last, behind most of the slower classes.

Is this correct, or should I have been at the rear of the other GT1 class cars ?

That shouldn't happen, nope. The X-System did crash yesterday - not a common event but it still happens occasionally - and when that happens, any information it has about the current grid is lost. If you still have the replay from the race before, you might find the X-System boilerplate message somewhere in there.
Quote from Bean0 :Edit: Also, what is CTRA policy about people jumping up the grid ?
Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to hit join first and be on pole. I then went to select a setup, and returned to the lobby to find I was now demoted to 3rd with 2 damn XFRs in front of me.

We don't have a policy on this at the moment. I've fantasized about saving and loading grids within the X-System in the past, but I haven't got as far as coding it up. God help them if they remove you from the grid completely, though.
I just tried to login to a CTRA server and the website says all servers are offline, is this correct?
Looks like Sam has had enough and closed them...

Quote from SamH :Thanks to everyone for your input. This thread has, in the end, helped me to make a final decision regarding the CTRA.

Apologies for locking and running but there's absolutely no point in discussing this topic one moment further.

so we dont have ctra? (( sad
Who knows ?

It could be that the servers failed to come back after this months patch tuesday, but CR servers hosted by UKCT are still up.

We shall have to wait and see I suppose.
the website says people are racing, but it doesn't say what track and how many laps... could be an old stuck status though.

if that was indeed the end of ctra (be it permanent or not), that sucks... my rank just went down the toilet.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG