The online racing simulator

Poll : Should UF-Baby-R Main Qualification also be a 15 minute Session

Closed since :
Yes, make it a 15 minute session
No, Keep it at the shorter session.
#1 - Dru
Round 2 Qualifying Poll
SO Classic is a sub 54 second track with a dangerous pit out and chicane section.

With only 30 drivers able to make the race thats an average of more than 1 drivers every 2 seconds out on track during the 8 minutes of qualifying.

I am proposing that for the rest of the series that the main qualification be extended to 15 minutes.

Comments Please.

I am away now until Monday - so don't worry if i don't post commnets here
Ohh thanks Dru. 8 minutes qualify is just too short to get a decent lape in. Certainly the next track gonna be carnage with 30 racers on track. Great track no doubt about it. It suites me more then the last round. But it all depends on quali so go for 15 minutes !!.
Its too short fot 30 people trying to make a best time. Risk you need to break unexpected is too big. We need not have that many people on track at once in qualy.
uhhm 7-0
#5 - Bean0
7-1

It's all part and parcel of racing...some tracks are more congested, some aren't.
I was careful about when I joined the track in Round 1, and had 2 stints of about 4 laps pretty uninterrupted.
#6 - Jakg
Bean0, you were not in the 8 minute Quali session, were you?

It was absolute carnage wherever you joined the race from what i remember
#7 - Bean0
Quote from Jakg :Bean0, you were not in the 8 minute Quali session, were you?

I had to pre-qualify, so was in all sessions.
#8 - richy
I voted yes. 15 minutes is still short enough to do some laps BUT at the same time find some empty tarmac.
#9 - mr_x
I voted No

Quote from Jakg :Bean0, you were not in the 8 minute Quali session, were you?

I got 3 full clear laps in at FE Green because instead of leaving the pits when everybody else did I just hung back and waited until everybody had left.

It's part of the challenge, a challenge that I like.
#10 - Jakg
I was going to do the same, but after a few laps there was only a small gap - had i of waited for this gap, i would of lost almost 2 minutes, and frankly even if you try that you still risk someone crashing out and coming out in front of you.
I waited at the start of qualify. I had a clear track for about 3/4 of track but then there was a crash were I had to break. After that was caught up in traffic. I wanted to get out again but as track was fully filled there is no change you can get a clear lape again. Or you are blocking someone else hotlape.

So I voted yes for the 15 minutes qualifying time.
I waited patiently in the garage at the start of the session waiting for to pack come around to start lap one. I exited in a good place just ahead of the lead man and all was going well, no blue flag. Until lap 3, I think, where I took damage. Pitted in but had to wait about 2 minutes to find another gap in th UFBabyR express before I could rejoin the traffic. By the time I got round to the start/finish, qual was over !

I had 1 very mediocre 1.20 but I saw that many others also had the same problem coz they were getting nowhere near the lap times I'd seen them do in practise sessions. Wasn't too miffed though and it certainly added to the tension on the night.

I say, lets just suck this and see, expecially given SO_classic is so much shorter, the problem will be even worse.

Ideally, I think half an hour with a restiction of 9 laps max per car would solve the problem but for this type of series, overall tough I think the current system works best as it adds a little to the pressure and tension. Not that we need any more tension ....
I voted No.

I think that if you are a good racer, you should be able to put in a quick time in the 8 minutes or so.
Quote from niall09 :I voted No.

I think that if you are a good racer, you should be able to put in a quick time in the 8 minutes or so.

It has nothing to do being a good racer or not. If there isnt a gap in the by tony called babyR express you can be a good driver but you cant set a good time.

Its about getting the max out yourself to set your best time and get the place on grid to match with it.

Look at F1 for instances, they keep chaning the qualify stints bcus of it. Excatly you dont see it at any race going out with a max of 32 cars at once to do quali. Ususally my best lape in quali will be 4 or 5th lape on track. But thats just me.
I voted no... 8 mins gives a much better chance for less faster drivers to get higher which makes for a better first race!
Quote from StableX :I voted no... 8 mins gives a much better chance for less faster drivers to get higher which makes for a better first race!

dito

even when I have to achieve the "level two qual."
Well, actually, that was the main intention of 8 min qualy, to mix it up a bit. My only concern is that it might be difficult to get out at all at such a short track like SO Classic. It will certainly be interesting to say the least

Well, you'll probably get out first time OK but if you have to pit again it could be a suicide mission trying to rejoin the pack.
Quote from LFSn00b :Where's SuperPole option? 1 group at a time quali?

I wouldn't worry about it that much if I were you. Do you see your name in the list for round 2?
Quote from StableX :I voted no... 8 mins gives a much better chance for less faster drivers to get higher which makes for a better first race!

Well, as for myself, I only had 1-2 laps if I remember, I always got hold up. Even out of the pits, ppl just ran over me, and then held me up. No matter how fast you are, if you get some traffic, you are screwed. Id say do the qual in 2 parts, 1st half of the grid, then the 2nd, or just do 1 lap quals. That would be interesting..
okey , i dont get the pint at all, it is part of the cup that we have a 8 min qual , and yes sometimes youhave got back luck , for example my first quali (round 1)

but i still voted for the 8 min qualy,

and just for the record when you have badluck in a 8 min qual , you also will have badluck on a 15 min qual , for expamle look at the first post of dru , that we have next round 2 sec between the cars~!.
it doesnt give a *** or we are driving 8 min or 15 min because everybody is driving the hole time !

my opinion 8 min is the best option,

greets,

Reint Jan
Quote from Swiss_Tony :
Ideally, I think half an hour with a restiction of 9 laps max per car would solve the problem but for this type of series, overall tough I think the current system works best as it adds a little to the pressure and tension. Not that we need any more tension ....

is 1 hole week driving on the server and the fastest time of every body is counting ,

also called hotlaping

not a good option in my eyes btw

greets,

Reint Jan
Its the dinky little tracks and the number of people on track at the same that is the problem, not so much the length of time, however it does give you a greater chance of getting in a respectable time given the circumstances, and i think thats what people need.

'Super pole' is a stupid idea because it takes so damn long to do it and its boring as hell waiting around, as you were informed the last time you pointed it out!
The only way something like that could be done is have a 10min qual, and only allow people to leave the pits once and complete 1 flying lap only. When you leave the pits is your decision, crash or roll it and its tough luck. It'll mean the track is much quieter because you wont have 32 cars out there, you'll probably have 6-10 at a time.
Still, i prefer an open qual, if possible with a limit on the number of laps you can do, but thats not going to be possible to monitor without some sort of insim app counting how many you've done.

Personally i think 8min was stupid to begin with, 10min maybe, but it seems wrong that the pre-qualifiers get 15min to prove themselves but those that go through have only half that. Worst still is the 7min qual round @ SO4R, a track 2min long means you've got 4 flying laps tops, cars should be more spread out, but being a street track has the possibility of a crash ruining the lap.

The problem with the idea of cramming everyone into a small track and telling them to perform in 8min is that people get frustraited, and pissed off when your lap/race is ruined because of someone else, and the 'this is a fun series' wears thin when your pissed off with everyone the moment they come into view and possibly ruin a lap. The term fun seems to equate to 'benefits from others getting screwed' rather more than anything else, as that seems to be the flip-side of the cone, the possibility of others ****ing up so you could get a result better than your capable of actually acheiving on your own.
Whats better, a mixed field and a load of frustraited drivers because their chance of a respectable laps got screwed, or people being able given a reasonable chance to put in a lap they can consider as being respectable? Its only fun if you manage to get a decent chance at putting in a good lap, otherwise its just damn frustraiting and at that point fun isnt something you'd call the series.
Also, it seems to be forgotten that its not just the fast folk that get screwed by the slow guys, the slow folk get screwed on a regular basis when the faster car goes to overtake them. Typically both drivers get shafted, but i think half the time its the responsibility of each individual to get as good a run as possible (not at the expense of others), theres no point in fighting with another driver whos trying to overtake you if they're clearly faster than you, you dont have to pull over and let everyone through, but your not *racing* and ultimately racing with them will slow both people down until either the pass is made or one of you makes a mistake. If you find someone is slowing you down and has ruined a lap then unless your sure you can pass them cleanly then surely it makes more sense to make sure the next lap is clean rather than following them round the track lap after lap? Likewise if you make a mistake (even a minor one you cant improve on) try and be curtious to others rather than trying to carry on with a lap you cant improve, dont screw other peoples laps just cos yours is.

The 'fun factor' just seems a bit backwards sometimes.
Next round quali 15 min or i am gone. i am sick of noobs hitting me out and stoping me in quali and that makes me have a bad position in the first race again and that makes me crash again whit the noobs on the back. iam sick off it
#25 - mr_x
Once again I waited in the pits until the main pack had gone out... and I had LOADS of room to get 3 quick laps in.

Some people clearly aren't patient enough.

Round 2 Qualifying Poll
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG