The online racing simulator
Event11, FE Green Rev, 14 Oct 2007
Surprised there's no thread for todays race yet... and no grid?
Grid is there now

I'm happy with my starting position.
I had an interesting race from someone trying to barge past @ T1 on lap 1! to clipping a stray tire & crashing (sorry Xen) just when I was settling into my stride. I damaged the rear suspension & was forced to pit a few laps later. Emerging 12th I chased hard & passed a few ailing cars with ease.
On the very last lap I came upon Vincent who was very badly damaged, i pulled along side on straight but he blocked the pass then slid round the next corner blocking me again then he slowed so much in the next corners that I ran into him lightly & he went sliding . He was already sliding anyway but i cant help but feel that if he had been sensible & let me pass in a safe place that incident would not have happened.
Sorry Vincent but you only have yourself to blame.

Does anyone have Pool 2 Replay?
replays are lfs-league on site now
Pool 3 here
Had new faces around me, usually I'm with the pool 6 crowd
Nice race, did some smaller mistakes regularly to prevent myself from finishing too high and had some nice overtakes.

Besides that I do hope the hosts will watch the replays and have an eye on the first chicane, I saw alot of cutting there.
Regards, Tys
Pool 5
Well, to make up for me forgetting the start time of the last race :/ I had a great race last night. Long post alert!!

In all honesty I was dreading it. I'd only put in a handful of practice laps in the XRT at Fern Bay Green Reversed. I normally look at the XRT in same distain I would Jade Goody (a little saggy and probably doesn't handle well) as I'd never managed to find a good setup - all the fast sets tend to be tail-happy. Anyway I found a great set *just* before the race which enabled me to properly drive the car.

I qualified 8th out of a grid of 13 (after the handful of laps). The "InSim" worked very well which picked the grid. Unfortunately an early retirement by Ihab Abbas after he joined from the pits - he was immediately disqualifed and then went on to protest while the rest of us tried desperately to ignore the constant talking. The fact that it was allowed to carry on for so long was pretty bad - I feel for Ihab but the rest of us were trying to race.

I made up 2 places on the first lap and had a really good fight with the remaining people who were tied up in their own battles. I was able to haul them in thanks to the nice stable setup I was using (some people were just trying too hard). And before the end of lap 6 I was leading.

I held on with a great drive, thoroughly enjoying it. Then around 13 laps from the end I went just a little wide into the chicane at the top of the hill - the one with the savage kerbs. This threw me into the barrier and let me tell you, I've never clenched by butt cheeks harder, and it seemed to work as I stayed on four wheels but the front left took a smack and bent it such as the camber heated the sidewall of the tyre. The car had a hard time turning right so I tried to nurse it into those corners, reducing speed and scrubbing as little as possible, while pushing hard on the left hand bends. It seemed to work, the tyre was going to survive (even though it showed a red temp indicator) but I was loosing 2 seconds per lap. By this time Sheepy had started putting in consistent times and he caught me but dropped back a couple of times. Then about 3 laps from the finish he passed me and I finished 4 seconds behind him but still got a 2nd place.

I also got the fastest lap of 1:22.65, highest top speed and also was the highest climber. I led for 25 of the 35 laps.

Still, my fastest lap was a good 3+ seconds behind the guys in the top servers - amazing times by them. And well-done to all.
Quote from horrgakx :[...] the rest of us tried desperately to ignore the constant talking.

You are aware that you can press '-' to block chat and 'shift+-' to block all messages?
Quote from horrgakx :The "InSim" worked very well which picked the grid. Unfortunately an early retirement by Ihab Abbas after he joined from the pits - he was immediately disqualifed and then went on to protest while the rest of us tried desperately to ignore the constant talking. The fact that it was allowed to carry on for so long was pretty bad - I feel for Ihab but the rest of us were trying to race.

As you can imagine, the host can't really stop people talking if they choose to keep talking, we can ask them nicely but in the end we might have to kick them if they refuse. I do recommend that all racers who might be distracted by messages to block them as felplacerad said. We have the RCM and /MSG commands if the hosts need to speak to the whole field.

The best thing for everyone to remember is, do what the host says, if you're unhappy with that you can complain afterwards, but hanging around talking and potentially messing up someone else's race will only cause you more grief and a possible punishment.
Quote from felplacerad :You are aware that you can press '-' to block chat and 'shift+-' to block all messages?

Yep I sometimes use that in public servers. However previously in league races I've seen people miss important information from the host. I've never seen them using the /msg command, perhaps its the assumption that people can receive msg's normally. And in this case in light of what was happening there was a possibility of the race being restarted or some other information from the host. So in league races I've been told that its not recommended to block messages.
Quote from horrgakx :Yep I sometimes use that in public servers. However previously in league races I've seen people miss important information from the host. I've never seen them using the /msg command, perhaps its the assumption that people can receive msg's normally. And in this case in light of what was happening there was a possibility of the race being restarted or some other information from the host. So in league races I've been told that its not recommended to block messages.

What you are saying makes perfect sense. Hopefully LFS will have a "always receive admin chat messages" option some day.
Quote from horrgakx :Yep I sometimes use that in public servers. However previously in league races I've seen people miss important information from the host. I've never seen them using the /msg command, perhaps its the assumption that people can receive msg's normally. And in this case in light of what was happening there was a possibility of the race being restarted or some other information from the host. So in league races I've been told that its not recommended to block messages.

Once the race is underway it is safe to block messages. Just concentrate on your own race & you will do fine.

Nice race story btw. Next time you could aim a bit higher than pool 5 , you seem fast enough.
Thanks - not sure about that though, some of the laptimes the lower numbered servers were pulling were quite something.
ah well you will always get a few "sand baggers" as we used to call them in R/C racing.
p.s - is that ur car in ur avatar?
Quote from anttt69 :ah well you will always get a few "sand baggers" as we used to call them in R/C racing.

Wasn't done deliberately, as I said in the post above it was when I'd joined the server for the race that I found a set that worked for me. I don't spend hours & hours practicing for these events and tend to improve the lap as time goes on.

Quote from anttt69 :p.s - is that ur car in ur avatar?

Yeh; http://www.flickr.com/photos/h ... in/set-72157602135494013/
Sorry for off-topic.
Quote from horrgakx :Wasn't done deliberately, as I said in the post above it was when I'd joined the server for the race that I found a set that worked for me. I don't spend hours & hours practicing for these events and tend to improve the lap as time goes on.

Dont worry i was'nt pointing the finger, you are genuine. Hotlapping does'nt take hours though I just do short 20min sessions now & then.

True, faster lap times come with experience of the track.
btw nice fto club who's the budding photographer?
Quote from anttt69 :btw nice fto club who's the budding photographer?

Me, I'm a professional photographer

Event11, FE Green Rev, 14 Oct 2007
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG