The online racing simulator
People have to learn the tracks for themselves. Every situation is different and some places where I would never try a pass I end up passing someone because they drifted off line or whatever. Also, there is always a lot of chat and restart votes prior to the race. It's hard enough to get in a quick "FO8s be careful coming from the back of the grid" message.

Having said that, I would say that anyone attempting to pass at eau rouge on lap 1 needs there heads examined. There is always an accident there. I do the complete opposite on lap 1 and back off the give myself space to avoid the crashers. OK I lose a fraction of a second but I make it through there. It doesn't affect the finishing positions if you lift a bit more there for lap 1. Look at my results from last night. One race I started 21st on the grid and finished 6th in a race with 10 FO8s in it.
To be honest dru IMO you were at fault as I held my racing line, you tried to ram yourself up the inside of the second apex and found my fox at the apex before you with the result of you cutting the corner across the grass to avoid me as you was behind me in the race I had the right to keep to my natural line ( I did not deviate or block) in this instance but where I did get caught out was in the next braking zone for the hairpin as you obviously slowed due to your grasstracking I was right behind you and I did not realise that the FO8's brake 30 Yrds earlier than the Fox's hence I got caught out and went up your rear, I did try to apologise after the race for that but never got to send it as the next race started rather quickly so I never got to send it so please accept my late apology.

What I did notice was that the FO8 drivers vote to start races a little quick before some of the Fox's have finished and this for some fox drivers mean we get no restbite between races as one race finshes the next race starts - suppose though I'll just have to get quicker

And I agree that the FO8's and some fox's try some insane passes around the two Chicanes, I really find it hilarious watching the Visitor FO8 drivers spinning out behind me at the top of the First chicane cause they got too close and lost all downforce cause I was ahead of them

anyway as long as we keep learning from our mistakes I have no problem with it as its generally clean or at least it was last night.
Quote from Dru :good idea,

however, i'm guessing that you are talking about people overtaking you in your 'braking zone' before sweeping into the chicanes rights?

Nah, i'm talking about people who, for some reason, think their car is glued to the track or something, and believe that they have the grip and momentum to overtake me in what i'd say is basically a series of switchbacks.

EDIT: Oh my goodness, I don't mean to go offtopic, but was anybody else there when that Team Core vs Vicky argument began?

And then adam started parading around as an admin! There were spurts of text shooting left and right "HOLY COW YOU'RE A HORRIBLE ADMIN", or "Wow, they really need to redo the administration on this server", and adam just kept replying "I didn't see ANYTHING :|", till eventually somebody just went "You guys are so thick. I think it's obvious by now that adam isn't an admin".

It was pure hilarity. Somebody really needs to ban Vicky, but it was still good fun to watch

Quote from CELTIC100 :And I agree that the FO8's and some fox's try some insane passes around the two Chicanes, I really find it hilarious watching the Visitor FO8 drivers spinning out behind me at the top of the First chicane cause they got too close and lost all downforce cause I was ahead of them

It's funny till they decided that whilst the entire 20+ car pack is passing is the best moment to rejoin the race...

I'm not even joking, I was laughing my head off till suddenly the same prick I was getting a rise off floors his throttle back onto the racetrack, spins out RIGHT INFRONT OF MY LINE.....

SWERVE! BOOOOOOOOOOOM!

That was my main complaint last night, I sure hope it isn't like that during the season . I lost track of how many accidents were caused by some fool trying to rejoin in the middle of the pack.
#54 - Dru
Quote from CELTIC100 :To be honest dru IMO you were at fault as I held my racing line, you tried to ram yourself up the inside of the second apex and found my fox at the apex before you with the result of you cutting the corner across the grass to avoid me as you was behind me in the race I had the right to keep to my natural line ( I did not deviate or block) in this instance but where I did get caught out was in the next braking zone for the hairpin as you obviously slowed due to your grasstracking I was right behind you and I did not realise that the FO8's brake 30 Yrds earlier than the Fox's hence I got caught out and went up your rear, I did try to apologise after the race for that but never got to send it as the next race started rather quickly so I never got to send it so please accept my late apology.

Hey Celtic,

Don't worry about the second incident - you don't have to apologise for that mate

Regarding the first incident, 'holding a racing line through an s-bend with someone alongside you is not a good idea tbh......my last comment on it is if someone is alongside side and you can run 2 wide through that kink easily and you take a straight line through it then you will end up causing an accident . As i was alongside side when we were both on the right hand section before you going to the left, i assumed that you a had seen me, b would leave room ... but anyway whats done is done lets just say i'm glad it happened in a practice session and not the actual race
Sorry dru I did not realise you had got along side me I glanced in the mirror B4 first apex and you was about 50 yrds behind so held my line as guided in the rules and the next thing i know your grass tracking on the left of me :oops: so sorry I did not realise you had got into that position.

I expected you to go around the other side (wide Line) and just ease away from me on the straight up to the hairpin - the thing is the GF guide states that Fox's should stay on the racing line and the FO8's should Navigate around the fox so taking the apex off the fox is the risky route cause thats my part of the track if the guide is to be followed.

Anyway next time you brake that early expect me to take my piosition back
I am going to watch the replay of this Vicki person tonight. If what has been said it correct they will be banned.

Someone mentioned someone pulling back on track after an accident. Rule time again:

"2.6 When recovering from a spin you must give way to cars already proceeding on track."

This server clearly states it is run to GFC rules. That also now means no passing under yellow which does seem to stop accidents becoming pile ups.
Oh god that Vicky was horrendous, she caused so many accidents and then tried to abuse us all afterwards.
Yeah, some of the most retarded trolling I've seen in my 4 years of LFSing.

You should really consider turning on the kick/ban voting when there are no admins around.
There were two admins. Unfortunately I left just before it kicked off and adam didn't see the incidents. Even if there were more admins on there it doesn't guarantee that everything is spotted. Sorry but there won't be any kick/ban voting on my server. I hate it.

There would be more admins but unfortunately I have only had 4 volunteers so far.

I have only had to ban 1 person and kick about 4 so far in over a month. Generally there are very few problems on the server.
Alright. But not having voting on when there are no admins around means that trolls and wreckers have free reign to completely shut down normal racing operations.

As for Adam not seeing anything... maybe he needs to visit an optometrist. Even if he didn't see any of the wrecking "Vicky" did, he couldn't have missed the unprovoked verbal abuse and blatant trolling. Toward the end of the ordeal, Vicky was camped out on the front stretch taking potshots at the leaders as they came by the start/finish line. There's no debating this.
Very rare that there is no admin on there so this isn't an issue and will become even less so when I get some more volunteers.
Quote from Gentlefoot :There were two admins. Unfortunately I left just before it kicked off and adam didn't see the incidents. Even if there were more admins on there it doesn't guarantee that everything is spotted. Sorry but there won't be any kick/ban voting on my server. I hate it.

There would be more admins but unfortunately I have only had 4 volunteers so far.

I have only had to ban 1 person and kick about 4 so far in over a month. Generally there are very few problems on the server.

:O

So adam IS an admin???

:ouch:
Quote from Gentlefoot :Yep - sure is

Well, i've checked my schedule, and i'll most likely be missing this sunday's race

Anybody know where the next one is?
Thanks for letting me know mate - I've removed you now and sent you a PM about events schedule.

Tonight at 19:00 - 21:00 GMT the GFC server will be password protected. This will allow GFC drivers to test on longer runs. The first hour will be set to practice. If there are enough of us for a decent race, we will use the second hour for this. Passwords will be available in the members only section of the forum. See http://www.gentlefoot.com/LFS/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116

and

http://www.gentlefoot.com/LFS/forum/viewforum.php?f=31

GF
Just reading the Halfords Fun Event thread and Lord Blaster made an interesting suggestion for qualifying.

He says that he has competed in some events where they do single lap qualifying like F1 in 2005. One car goes out and does one qualifying lap, then as they cross the line the second car leaves the pits. This means everyone else can watch each drivers quali lap. Should make for good entertainment and real pressure for the driver. Would mean quali would take quite a while on long circuits like Aston Historic but I think it would be cool to be able to watch each drivers style.

Nerves of steal would be needed because each driver would have one chance and one chance only. A bit of organisation would be required. We could go out in the order in which we entered or maybe we could do all FO8s first followed by all FOXs, or we could go in the finishing order from the previous race.

What do you all think?
#67 - Dru
32 cars, waiting until the car infront has dones its out lap.. aston historic is 2m 10 for a fo8 and 2m 30 for the FOX.

Now assuming that it starts on time and you have an order and people stick to it, it'll take an hour at least for qualifying then a 15 minute break then a 75 minute race..... that will be quite a long session, also for people who qualify first, they then have to do nothing for an hour... or the other way, people will have to wait for upto an hour...

nice idea, but for sim racing maybe a bit impractical and long winded

Also with the race being late sunday anyway, 9pm start isn't it so thats racing at then 10 so it'll finish past 11 in the UK which is gone midnight in Europe???
Thats true so I have made an alternative suggestion in the forum.

Cars enter the track in 40 second intervals. i.e. at Aston when the first car get to the first split more or less. This would result in about 25 mins qualifying for a 30 car grid. It was also mean that you would get to see at least 20 runs (ok a third of each run ).
#69 - Dru
arggghhhhh! split forums posting.... now getting confused..
I Propose two 15 Minute sessions ...... 1 For FOX The Other For FO8's which would result in Drivers getting in 2 x 3 lap sessions to set a time.

and to split the qualifying just to cut down on the inevitable incidents that would occour if you run the two classes together.

The last thing I want to do being a Fox driver is to have to run offline risking an off and Damage to the car on my outlap just to keep out of the way of FO8's that are on a flying lap.

Would make the admins work alot easier as well.
Thing is accidents are not really an issue in qualifying because anyone can telepit whenever they want.

I like the hectic quali sessions, can lead to slightly mixed up grids which is good for racing.

It'll be tough round Aston Historic because the laps are so long none of us will have many attempts at getting a clean lap in.

I would be reluctant to split the groups because it will either mean another server or two separate qualifying times. Also, it'll mean having to set the grid up manually which will be time consuming with 32 cars.

Just thought I'd suggest the single lap qualifying to see what the reaction was. It has it's advantages but I starting to think it's all just too much effort.
Hi Gentlefoot,

I was on your server for the first time tonight running my first laps in the FOX. I started pretty slow (1:45) and by the end of the evening managed to get down to some consistent 1:42's while thoroughly enjoying myself . Takes a bit of getting used to these non-tin tops!

Edit 1:41.8 this morning....getting quicker..slowly )

As such I was wondering if I could possibly join your challenge and perhaps be put on the reserve list for the next event? I have never entered an organised event before and am a bit nervous of the prospect but would like to give it a try as I now feel comfortable that I could particpate without ruining anyones race due to my noobness.

I have read the challenge rules and registered in your forum anyway, so you can tell me what you think?

My Racer name :- Struan [><]
Entry preference would be the FOX

Oh and on another subject, how the heck does Moose qualify for the Rookie of the year event lol, have you seen that man driving! (Sorry Moose had to say something hehe )
Quote from AlienT. :Oh and on another subject, how the heck does Moose qualify for the Rookie of the year event lol, have you seen that man driving! (Sorry Moose had to say something hehe )

lol...i qualify for 'rookie of the year' because of my total lack of experience in the F08. Luckily I'm adapting to it quite quickly

Nice to see you joining up
#74 - Dru
Quote from The Moose :lol...i qualify for 'rookie of the year' because of my total lack of experience in the F08. Luckily I'm adapting to it quite quickly

Nice to see you joining up

lol

yeah, also bear in mind that as a rookie we at ZWR are taking a heck of a risk on him
I bet I could be an FO8 rookie next season. Might go for that.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG