The online racing simulator

Poll : How many laps should Ky GP Long be?

Closed since :
40 laps: "true" F1 distance ( about 1.5hours, 296km)
25 laps: regular OLFSL distance (about 1hour, 185km)
50 laps: long distance ( about 2 hours, 370km)
Kyoto GP Long event
I see there different opinion about this 50 lap event. My idea was to bring OLFSL racers some F1-style event, in the meaning of length and challenge. I think I might have overdone it a bit but since I like to ask what our members think, here's a poll for you to present your thoughts.

However, keep in mind that we are only asking your opinion, the final decision might differ from results of this poll.
After a short test (13 offline laps against the AI), I'd say 50 laps seems a bit long. With at least 4 pitstops needed, it might very well take almost 3 hours (depending on the pool). But let me express my hope that it won't be cut down to 25 laps. Let's have a long and exciting F1-style event of 40 laps! Minimum number of pitstops needed will be 3 and I'm sure, some will go for 4 pitstops which makes the race much more interesting than a 25 laps race. If we had that, I'm pretty sure almost everybody will go for 1 pitstop only, as anyything else will just cost too much time. Time, you probably can't make up within 25 laps. 40 laps is different in that respect and therefore more interesting, imho.

And, as a sidenote to the FienDis: Even if the majority votes for 25 laps, I hope you consider a length of 30 or 35 laps, because pit strategy wise, it will be not as predictable as a 25-lapper and therefore once again more interesting, imho.

Just my thoughts on that matter .
i'd go for the 25 laps

the one long event with the GTR class should be the highlight and in my eyes, all other races should be around 50-75 minutes

as for the pit strategy, i'd find that more interesting in mixed car classes, since in the one car classes, everyone fights with the same weapon - but a long race between a FZR and a XRR or a long race between the GT and the GTi could take advantage of the cars different characteristics
In my eyes this poll here is not a really good decision.

The race calendar was made before the league started and every1 could see how short or long the races will be and what cars and tracks are in.

And now only because of some people saying it is to long there is this poll and maybe a change of the laps? In my eyes this is not right. Even if the staff change the numbers of laps only from 50 to 49.

Where does this end? Next time 50 people don't like the car and we start voting about using another one?

I think changing something (tracks,cars,racelength) in a running season is not a great idea in general.

You (the OLFSL staff) can't make everything everyone right and you shouldn't try to do so, just because a few people arguing about something.

So all the races cars and laps should be like they where announced before the season started.

But that's just my 2 cents
Quote from BBO@BSR :And now only because of some people saying it is to long there is this poll and maybe a change of the laps? In my eyes this is not right. Even if the staff change the numbers of laps only from 50 to 49.

I say again, "However, keep in mind that we are only asking your opinion, the final decision might differ from results of this poll."
I do much better in endurance events....I voted for 40, go with the flow..which ever way it works...I'll be there with Bells on.
Quote from varjsa-9 :I say again, "However, keep in mind that we are only asking your opinion, the final decision might differ from results of this poll."

That's why i wrote:"....there is this poll and maybe a change of the laps?"
50 Laps for me please
Hi, Johnathan Russ here!

I'm up for all 50 myself - I know it's long but what's wrong with one long race in the season? I'm not a brilliant racer on LFS yet but I'm up for a challenge or too.

Anyway I had an idea, instead of 6 pools based on hotlaps, why not (for this race only) have pools based on how many laps?

So lets say Six pools again for example.

Pool 1 = 50 laps.
Pool 2 = 40.
Pool 3 = 30.
Pool 4 = 25.
Pool 5 = 20.

The Points could be awarded in the same fashion, higer pools scroing more than lower pools.
But where is the point in having ppl of totally different skill levels race against each other? Especially since part of the idea of OLFSL is to provide close and competitive racing regardless of how fast you are. That's where all the fun comes from. I mean, look at the hotlaps: atm there is a 20 second difference between the fastest and the slowest (errm, of which you are probably aware ).
I agree
My idea wouldn't be ideal. But neither is letting people vote about the number of laps, next it will be that there are two many events at Aston. There are not enough GTR races. I only want to do three laps next week because I'm a bit tired and the FX0 will use too much fuel, cant we switch it to the UF1. My Mother wont let me stay out on halloween and rob people. We should stick to the race calander and that's that!

EDIT: On a more serious note though - I totally agree that the racing calendar should change now that it's set.
Attached images
OLFSL_calendar_tablet.jpg
As the OLFSL Pool Manager I of all people should have realised that 50 laps takes about 2 hours, maybe more - but I didn't. :chair: The first time I even started thinking about this was, when someone said it will take this long.

This is the reality:

I have 4 hosts all together, one of them is not even trained yet. If we have 6 pools again, it will take (average 2,5 hours/pool) 15 hours to complete all pools. 15 hours!! Hosts won't race and host at the same time, because it's absolutely impossible to monitor the race if you're driving as well. So even if I manage to get 2 or 3 pools to start at the same time, it will still take very long.

So with this crew it's - if not impossible, at least very difficult - to arrange races that take 2-3 hours/pool.

As I said before, I of all people should have realised this, but I didn't. Shame on me, bad Mrs FienDi.. :guilty: Hate me if you want to, but this is how it is. 40 laps is the absolute maximum.

You want to race 50 or more laps? Sure, volunteer: we will teach you to host races. mrsfiendi@pp.inet.fi

--
Mrs FienDi
Pool Manager/PR Manager
The Original LFS League
[QUOTE=Mrs FienDi][QUOTE]As the OLFSL Pool Manager I of all people should have realised that 50 laps takes about 2 hours, maybe more - but I didn't[/QUOTE] .

Neither did most of the people who joined OLFSL, or this problem would have been discussed a lot sooner. People just didn´t realised that it would take more than 2 minutes to do one single lap. But anyway, what I really hope is that being 25, 40 or 50 laps this event will be a success like the first one!!!
Okay
Well I'll go with whatever the OLFSL team decide. I can see that it will be too much work for them to do 50 laps. It's just I was happy to do all 50 if they were. If not then no worries from me. I just didn't want to be one of the ones too scared to race for two hours that's all. I'm not moaning if the staff want to cut the laps, that's their perogative. All my support goes to the staff I know they work hard, with little reward.

Like I said previously I was willing to pay a fee to join the season to help with costs etc, so I'm not the sort not willing to do my support for the cause.

But yeah when my internet connection in raised to 8Meg I'll be happy to host a race.
Hello, I haven't voted yet, but here is a suggestion in case the choice of the members is to have a very long race, and insufficient hosting resources are available. Perhaps we could, in such circumstances, run the event over 2 weeks (e.g. Pools 1-3 this Sunday, Pools 2-6 next Sunday, but keep the hotlap deadline this week for all pools).

Solar Hydro
40 laps is a nice distance but will have to do about 3 stops and with 50 u could go into 4 stops fuel tank is too small
40 laps is really cool, because it would allow completely different pit stop strategies. For example a two stop strategy at some risk, 14 laps is possible with 100% fuel and economic driving for one or two laps...
So, the winner is:

40 laps: "true" F1 distance ( about 1.5hours, 296km)

See you in Kyoto - don't forget to send your spr!
Quote from Solar Hydro :Perhaps we could, in such circumstances, run the event over 2 weeks (e.g. Pools 1-3 this Sunday, Pools 2-6 next Sunday, but keep the hotlap deadline this week for all pools).

Yes, this is one option. Allthough it keeps us busy and by the computer for the next 3 weeks, so this won't happen very often.

However I'd still rather be stuck by the computer every night for 3 weeks than start changing points, templates and website database so we could use some other system.. That's too much work and this kind of events are rare.

Btw I updated FAQ on OLFSL website, should be out this week.
Probably going to miss it, since I will be at germany at the time :/
Who knows, maybe I can find a computer and a wheel though :P
Can we reset the car in this event? If you go to sand, it's very hard to get out of there without reset
Quote from prophet.est :Can we reset the car in this event? If you go to sand, it's very hard to get out of there without reset

You mean it's like someone would expect it to be with a car that's got 20mm ground clearance?

Most of the time even resetting the car won't really help if you are in the sandpit - the only way to get out is a high gear and smooth accel or reversing... or even better, not getting stuck in the first place (just coast away if you can before the sand bogs you down).
Quote from xaotik :or even better, not getting stuck in the first place (just coast away if you can before the sand bogs you down).

but if someone pushes u to the sand?
Quote from prophet.est :but if someone pushes u to the sand?

But seriously, it rarely helps to reset when you're stuck in the sand - it usually just puts you approximately in the same location. And imho, it's just part of the race. Anyhow, we'll just see what the OLFSL staff has to say.

Quote from prophet.est :Can we reset the car in this event?

No. I'll quote our rules:

Quote :Resetting of your vehicle is not allowed. If your vehicle should become inoperable due to flipping onto its roof, getting stuck in sand, being highsided on a guardrail, etc etc, you may not reset the car. You may choose to go into Spectate mode without penalty, which is also recommended if your car is flipped over in or near the driving line. As LFS is becoming more realistic, so must its rules.

This rule applies also to the next event, no doubt in my mind about that. Also, I will not set up a poll for this

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG