The online racing simulator
reasonably priced gaming cockpit
(290 posts, started )
First, if this is an inappropriate post feel free to delete it, but I could not find any rules regarding threads of this nature.

Next, i'm a gamer just like all the folks here. I play FPS & racing SIMS (r-factor mods primarily and a lil GT Legends). Also, I'm a BMW E30 enthusiast having spent a number of years building up one helluva 3.0L stroker E30 Cabriolet muahahahhahaha!!!! Anyhow, I developed a gaming cockpit this past 6 months and setup a company (Obutto Co. Ltd.)in China to manufacture them. So I'd like to introduce our oZone gaming cockpit!

Made of THICK carbon steel, and includes a removable monitor stand, swinging & removable keyboard/mouse tray, telescoping steering wheel mount, real adjustable reclining sports seat. All powdercoated in a matte black finish.

I wanted this cockpit to house all my hardware since I was sick of moving, detaching & re-attaching hardware on my already cluttered desk. Also I wanted to race in a proper race driving position. Furthermore, I wanted to immerse my physical body into the game. Cute thing is I don't use a desk anymore, only meh cockpit

Anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know what US$249 can get ya, and to see how much this will appeal to fellow gamers.

Thanks for reading
Chris

pics are below, but feel free to ck out our site at obutto.com

Price is right if build quality exceeds Apple standards.

Meaning it doesn't spontaneously burst into flames or fall apart within two weeks after warranty period ends.

Your web site doesn't work btw...
hahahah ya right.....my first ipod (40gb ipod photo) crapped out on me twice in the first year *sigh* but of course i bought another, but this time tryin my luck with a nano *fingers crossed* *eyes crossed*

sorry the site was being updated....pls give it another try

...and ya the quality is very good....it's very solid with only bent & welded carbon steel
That is pretty nice and a cool design, and the price is reasonable too.

By the way, how much power is your car making and what have you done to it? (just curious)
#5 - Vain
Just some constructive idea to improve your product:
Since the monitor stand is detachable, would it be possible to design a monitor stand that is closer to the wheel?
On my desk I move the monitor so its foot stands *directly* behind the wheelbase. This increases viewing-angle and thus gives a far more comfortable view.

Vain
I agree with Vain, thats where most simulators go wrong. Monitor too far away.
#7 - Davo
Is the stand strong enough to support a 32" LCD? That would solve the too far away problem.
Thanks for the replies and the compliments The distance of the monitor stand comes up alot but I think alot of it roots from the fact that we've used desks for so long, and desks aren't that deep so we've gotten used to sitting right in front it. I use a 21" and have no prob with it with racin or fraggin, but it did take a couple of days to get used to. Anyhow i have been tinkering with the welder, some steel pipe, and a few bottles of beer and the result is i can get the monitor just behind the wheel. That change will have to take place during the next production run though.

Whether it's stable for a 32" monitor in it's current form....i would say yes as long as the base fits. With modern ff steering wheels like the g25 the forces are crazy so I always run some tape around my monitor base (just in case). The carbon steel I used has 2.2mm thick walls so the whole unit is very sturdy. Packaged weight is 45kg's!!! The frame itself is 22.7kg's

Regarding my E30 cab it's makin 189 rear wheel HP and 207 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels. Tuning was done live on a dyno at every 1000rpm with the Unichip piggyback unit. This translates to roughly 220hp & 235ft-lbs at the crank.....the torque is SUPERB!!!!! what a blast to drive!!
Dennisjr13, here is a link to a feature on my E30 Cab that has all the details...but it's 2 yrs old.

http://www.e30tech.com/featured/chriscab/

Only changes since then is a new rack, new BMW M-Technic EVO interior & E30 M3 instrument cluster so now it looks like this on the inside...

just a quick development comment:

gear shift position needs to be adjustable for right & left hand drive.

also needs to be lower down like in a real car. (not @ wheel height)
good point antt.....the G25 mount is a seperate piece and can just be flipped over for RHD.

due to the swiveling keyboard tray there really is no way to lower the shift mount w/out sacrificing the keyboards ability to be in front of the player. so we are leaving this up to players to decide and mod themselves. we made this cockpit a very open design to encourage modding by the players and hope folks can get very creative.

most race cars have the top of their shift knobs just a tad lower than the position of the top of the G25 shift knob on our setup....if they don't have that they wish they could since we never want the shift knob too far away
Quote from Chris E30 Cab :most race cars have the top of their shift knobs just a tad lower than the position of the top of the G25 shift knob on our setup....if they don't have that they wish they could since we never want the shift knob too far away

I have to agree with this one. At least seq shifters are positioned close to wheel. I think. Only Jesus knows.

Would it be possible to change the shifter mounting place between a race car (next to wheel) and a road car (middle console)?
Quote from Chris E30 Cab :Thanks for the replies and the compliments The distance of the monitor stand comes up alot but I think alot of it roots from the fact that we've used desks for so long, and desks aren't that deep so we've gotten used to sitting right in front it. I use a 21" and have no prob with it with racin or fraggin, but it did take a couple of days to get used to. Anyhow i have been tinkering with the welder, some steel pipe, and a few bottles of beer and the result is i can get the monitor just behind the wheel. That change will have to take place during the next production run though.

I agree with those who say the monitor needs to be closer. For me, it isn't the problem of the monitor being too small to see or large enough to see from that distance. For me, it is that I think of the monitor as being the windshield of the car with the area between the wheel controller and the monitor being the dash area. I can only race with a low field of view as this is the only "realistic" (term being used loosely) way to view racing sims on the PC.

As for the comment in one of the posts above on using a 32 inch LCD and that it would solve the size/distance relationship. Using a 32 inch screen would only increase the realism with having the monitor directly behind the wheel controller "simulating" the windshield as it would then be even closer to life size.

Just take that all as some more constructive criticism
Few suggestions here:
  • Make a version with the shifter on the left-hand side and the keyboard on the right. Make the shifter lower down too, like in a real car
  • Ship to the UK!
EDIT: Clarifying something here - with the shifter on the left then the keyboard can stay in the same place AND the shifter can be lower
#15 - Vain
Some more things:
1. Make sure to write some shipping costs for typical destinations on the website. I'd like to know the actual price of the device before toying around with the idea.
2. Add the fact that the G25 addon can be mounted upside-down for RHD on the website.
3. Post an update when the 'Monitor right behind the wheel'-version is ready. The closer the better.
4. Post the assembly instructions on the website. That's the easiest way of showing people how easy it really is.

Vain
Thanks for the great replies and suggestions fellas.

As Vain mentioned the G25 can be flipped over for RHD shifting and we will update the site to mention this But even with the shifter on the left and LOWER the keyboard tray will still make contact since the keyboard tray swings around in front of the player. Furthermore, I use the G25 with my oZone cockpit and in it's current position it's great fun! But for those who want it lower like in a street car we'll just have to leave it for them to get creative with it

Regarding how to get an H-pattern shifter closer to the wheel in a real car, the only way is to get a longer shift lever...of course this will lengthen the throw so it would have to be combined with a short shift kit hehehehe

Regarding the monitor stand distance, no worries there since the next production run will include the new stand that lengthens the monitor table right up to the back of the steering mount so it will give players a choice on the distance to the monitor. Until then we will consider selling the units as is and then replacing the monitor stand with the new one once they are made

Vain, we will update the site as you suggested when I get back to Beijing on 10 May, thanks! Also, we will get a pic in this thread showing the new monitor stand we mocked up. ***pls don't laugh at the welds....I'm no welder

Leifde, we'd love to get a container to the UK so if you know of anyone that would want to distribute these i'm all ears..........or eyes

Hope I covered everything!
Most monitors today have the ability to be mounted. If you could make a way to get the mount (VESA 100) or similar close to the base of the wheel it would be great. The monitor i have, the mount is on the bottom of the stand. So i could drill the holes in the monitor holder, and bolt my monitor to it. The more options you have with the cockpit, the more customers you will attract. The one major problem i can see, is location, location, location! Im sure there is nothing you can really do about this, but being located in china really sucks for most lfs'ers. We are mostly located in europe/the america's. Shipping to europe would not be too bad. But i imagine shipping to canada would be quite expensive.
You can make the shifter lower... Just make the swinging keyboard try swing from the other side. Problem solved... for now. I guess later for the rhd people, you can make it universal. So when the end user is setting it up, they can decide what side the shifter goes on, then they can put the keyboard tray on the other side. I dont know if this is possible because i dont know how its setup curently, just some ideas. Great product BTW! Have an estimate on shipping to eastern canada?
Thanks for the ideas Steve, and glad to hear you like the oZone cockpit.

Also, that is a good suggestion about monitors being mounted. The only trick with this whole product is keeping it as simple as possible to keep the price down. I've checked out almost all the available cockpits on the market and there simply isn't any at this affordable of a price that offer a stable gaming platform with this much adjustability. With that said, we will look into a way to cater to mounting monitors .....but no promises hehehehhe!!

You are right though, with your bottom mounting monitor you could just drill holes through our cockpits tabletop. Even for folks with the G25 steering wheel holes can be drilled through our G25 mount for a much better mounting then the standard clamps provide.

Once again i'll mention, i really tried to keep this simple and open for modding. This kept the cost down, but makes it easy for folks to let their imagination flow to add components or change the cockpit to meet their specific needs. As is, I enjoy many hours of track time, fraggin in Day of Defeat:Source, and all my computer use.

I'll get some pics up in a week showing the change on the location of the monitor stand

As for shipping to Eastern Canada by air the cost would be more than the product but we will be sending a container of cockpits to the US in the very near future so customers will only have to pay for shipping charges inside N.America.
I really want this now but I looked up some shipping costs and it would cost about $600 to get it over here
OUCH Leifde!! Have no fear man, I'm workin on getting a distributor in the UK so I can send a container load over So hang in there and I'll try to get this taken care of asap!

For now, if you or any others can put together a Group Buy in any country then perhaps we can work something out. Of course it would take 50 folks to make it worthwhile so that might be difficult. For reference, one 20ft container holds 50 units.
I wouldn't be able to buy it for another couple of months so it's not really a problem having to wait.

BTW, I would probably order 2 of them. One for me, one for my Dad/my friends/etc.
I could be the UK distrubutor for this product. What does it involve & how much space will I need?

PM me if ur interested.
i say forget the monitor stand completely.

first-, you'll get requests for 2-, 3- monitors stands.
second- you tape your monitor base just in case, so appriopriate disclaimer "exceeding 100% ForceFeedback not recomended - can harm your eyes, then your feet, and monitor itself in the end"

just my opinion

and my Q: what dimensions could i adjust?
Quote from anttt69 :I could be the UK distrubutor for this product. What does it involve & how much space will I need?

PM me if ur interested.

Hey anttt69, thanks for your interest and pls check your pm's

Quote from AndRand :i say forget the monitor stand completely.

first-, you'll get requests for 2-, 3- monitors stands.
second- you tape your monitor base just in case, so appriopriate disclaimer "exceeding 100% ForceFeedback not recomended - can harm your eyes, then your feet, and monitor itself in the end"

just my opinion

and my Q: what dimensions could i adjust?

Thanks for your suggestions AndRand and i hear ya about the monitor stand.........buuuuuuuut, we just really want the oZone cockpit to offer the 5 basic attributes any gaming cockpit SHOULD have: 1) adj & stable steering wheel mount 2) monitor stand 3) adj keyboard/mouse tray 4) adj seat. **edit** doh I forgot number 5) STABLE gaming platform

If folks wanna run 2 or 3 monitors then they can remove our monitor stand and park the oZone cockpit in front of whatever is holding there wickid monitor setup

Sorry could ya clarify your question about what dimensions could you adjust?? thanks!!

(290 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG