The online racing simulator
No, you can driver swap from anywhere, you just join the server and press the (I think) T (or is it J?) button and you will take over from your team mate.
Quote from danowat :(I think) T (or is it J?) button ....

Cheers. Its the T button - couldn't find this in any of the usual documentation, so maybe it could do with updating... but found this explanation eventually:
  • bring up the connection list with 'N'
  • click on the 'T' behind your name
  • then your teammate (in spectator mode) also has to click the 'T' behind your name
(provided for anyone besides me who's confused/curious...)
Quote from nihil :Cheers. Its the T button - couldn't find this in any of the usual documentation

it's in your keys pdf, which is in lfs/docs/
Just for clarity, the changeover actually occurs on completion of a pit stop. If one driver uses tyres particularly aggressively and needs higher pressures or harder rubber then the previous driver has to put it on for them.

For a 24hr race you really ought to have voice communication sorted (Team Speak / Ventrillo etc).
One thing I just posted on another forum on this subject regarding VOIP communication:

Quote :Each team needs two different Vent channels. One for speaking to the active driver (which should only be done down a straight, and never during a position/lapping condition), and another channel to talk strategy and discuss other teams' progress. There are settings in Vent that need to be set, like the "announce when someone joins the server/channel", so that the active driver doesn't have any VOIP interruptions, except when on a straight and by the person doing the information dissemination.

It's good advise, but try not to do what I did once in a 24hr race where I picked up the wrong radio, to set the scene, the camper van with the kitchen was in the paddock - between our pit garage (circuit de Alain Prost) and the weighbridge which that year didnt have drive on scales.

Instead of radio'ing the weighbridge team I radiod the driver, "Do you want to put the kettle on on your way back?"

"erm, can it wait?"

"can't you just do it on your way over as you are passing it anyway?"

"i've got to stop in the box!"

"Oiy, get off our channel!"

etc etc...

"what? oh... Chris, 2 more laps please."
Haha, excellent.
Quote from Becky Rose :Instead of radio'ing the weighbridge team I radiod the driver, "Do you want to put the kettle on on your way back?"

"erm, can it wait?"

"can't you just do it on your way over as you are passing it anyway?"

"i've got to stop in the box!"

"Oiy, get off our channel!"

etc etc...

"what? oh... Chris, 2 more laps please."

:ices_rofl
Soooo... how's everyone's practice going for this thing?

Anyone want to make a wager on how many of the 77 teams currently signed up will actually start?
Well hopefully it will be 78. Muroc is trying to get the people together. =)
One thing that no-one seems to have brought up in the health discussion is the effects of staring at a screen for such long periods.

Ok, most of us probably stare at one for most of the day and then the evening (I certainly do ), but doing a 24hr race means you'll be staring pretty intently without break, and probably without blinking as often as you're concentrating on the race.

While it may be rare, I wouldn't want to risk the chances of inducing a seizure through not taking enough breaks / rest / sleep / whatever. The consequences are life changing, and shouldn't be dismissed lightly.
I don't know about you cats, but the guys I am teaming with are planning shifts so that you DON'T have to stare at a screen for that long.
I guess he was talking about the people who want to drive the whole race on their own.
actually i'm working on the things i need for this first. and yes i do intend to take breaks when needed.

Breaks don't take anythign special, but hydration in the middle of a race is important, so i'm working on that.

10 minute break every 2 pit stops? fine with me, i've done double and triple stints before so i'm fine on that, and taking breaks means i get to evaluate my own condition and decide whther or not to continue.
I'd just like to run a couple of thoughts by you, on the question of "why?", if I may... [edit: Re solo attempts]

.For the competition? standing still for an hour of track time gets you nowhere. You will be last of the non-retirements.

.For bragging rights? take a look through this thread - everyone thinks people who attempt it are fools/idiots, so there's none to be had there. You'll find this 'achievement' is as dubiously received in the outside world too. I told some folks at work of you two and I can't even type the politer things they thought about it on these forums.

.For self satisfaction? If this is your reason go for it.
because i can deffinitely falls under self satisfaction. I'd also like to see how i stand up to solo endurance before trying to tackle something far more dangerous in a real car.

If i cant make it 24 hours in LFS on a close circuit track, how the hell can i expect to last 32 hours in the desert of Baja California?

Think of it as a dry run. As for the competition.... I'm competing with the other solo runner.

Dustin, i suggest you stick to the break strategy too. get up and move around. stretching is good for keeping your mind sharp too.
Well, i would love to compete in a 24h race, but i'm not sure will my parents let me to do it
And the second thing, i don't have a team, someone got free slot in his team and want me to fill it in the race? I'm not very pro but i think i'm fast enough to compete, the car doesn't matter, i like them all but XRR or FXR would be nice...
I did the 4 hour N-ring race of GT4 ( ) although i dont THINK i took any breaks. I believe that was the longest solo I've done. Driving the N-ring was such a pleasure (using a M3 GTR road car) really made the time no biggie.

Not that that has anything to do with LFS.

I might float the idea at LOTF to see if we might get a team up. Doubtful, but who knows.

Anyway, this really seems like a well put together awesome event!

About the solo hopefulls: If they aren't young, fit, or have a really comfortable seating arangement, I wouldn't think about it. People have done it in real life, but it isn't the easiest thing to do. Lots of water, fruit, and frequent breaks and it should be doable.

I've logged some monster cram sessions in college with the aid of medicine. Not something I'm proud of, but legitamate ADD + 36 hours of straight study/exam/study/exam. Engineering isn't the easiest major. I actually dislike taking it, but I'm perscribed the same stuff they give air force pilots when they have the day-long missions. NOT something I would think about using for gaming

Asking WoW players might be a good consultant, as I'm sure people have logged monster sessions on that before.

The only person I've heard of dying from video games, was recently an overweight Chinese teenager, who spent the better part of a week straight playing WoW. I believe this was on DailyTech, about 3 months ago. There were questions about his prior health condition, as well as his nurishment through the weeks.

Sorry for the dark stuff, but I really just hope everyone is carefull enough to listen to what their body tells them.

Good Luck!

EDIT - My real dream is the day when the internet/code/games are good enough to put everyone, all 77 teams on a sever together. Yes, lots of issues, but I can dream!
"FREE FOR ALL" - makes it sound like it will be a big crash up!

Well I couldn't race for 24 hours! Not even 2.4 - so have fun!
Is there a team limit? i mean... there´s a lot of teams yet applied and i don´t want to miss this great event... i´m just waiting the last driver confirmation to send the sign up and i don´t want to miss the place...
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :because i can deffinitely falls under self satisfaction. I'd also like to see how i stand up to solo endurance before trying to tackle something far more dangerous in a real car.

If i cant make it 24 hours in LFS on a close circuit track, how the hell can i expect to last 32 hours in the desert of Baja California?

Think of it as a dry run. As for the competition.... I'm competing with the other solo runner.

Dustin, i suggest you stick to the break strategy too. get up and move around. stretching is good for keeping your mind sharp too.

Because I can is a really large part of it, another part of it too is because I can't stand the car that the rest of the UKCTers are driving, and I'd much rather drive something I enjoy, rather than a car that I'm working against rather than with. It also will give me some sort of self satisfaction that I set a goal for something, and using some classic Canadian ingenuity, obtained that goal without having to go thru the better parts of 4 overtimes.

Also, I'm quite in shape and my age attributes a great deal of advantage to my attempt also, being 15, and physically active a majority of my spare time too. Luckily I have this lovely comfy chair, I plan on getting a nice large store of food and water down in m room also, and my G25, my iMac and myself will go the whole 24 hours (and if my iMac dies, this is why I have my normal PC also )
Hey Admins,
Was wondering if you would accept entries from the Southern Hemisphere for this event, given it is promoted as a world wide event.
The team I am trying to put together is located in Australia and two things may make it difficult, but I still would like to try.

1. Time differences may make it difficult but still possible so is the start time set (GMT)?

2. If you accept our entry then the next question is how would you deal with lag if it became excessive due to the distance involved?
Hi Orion

I would be still hard thinking about allowing Dastin as a "single member team".I am not happy this 1 man entry idea is supported due to several deaths happend across the world already.I am not saying this should happend "knock,knock" but I dont wanna LFS would have this bad publicity in case something went really wrong.

I think we should be really more serious about this "issue". I know its his own decision but sometimes people make them wrong and realize it late.

I dont want him to be not allowed but I think the best idea would be proactive in some way and find him at least some drivers who would be happy to enter "his".I am sure there are more 1 man drivers around who would like to join this 24h race so put them somehow together would make them all happy and not causing any potential troubles

LFS forum and players have been for ages one of the best gaming comunity around with very good ideas,manners so we should be really serious about these things.

Best Regards,
DEVIL 007 - ZT member
Quote from srdsprinter :I did the 4 hour N-ring race of GT4 ( ) although i dont THINK i took any breaks. I believe that was the longest solo I've done. Driving the N-ring was such a pleasure (using a M3 GTR road car) really made the time no biggie.

I personally B-spec the long races in GT4.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG