The online racing simulator
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Do we have a start time for the race?

Will it be based in GMT?

For a "global event", I would hope this wouldn't start before 5PM GMT on May 26th, as that would be 9AM on the West Coast here in the US.
For the start time, we haven't made a decision yet, but we will make a vote I think. Last race started at 4 or 5 PM iirc, so about that time is likely.
5PM GMT would be good!
Quote from ORION :If you have one driver with problems, and he is in one team, and he gets one or 2 disconnects, the team has no chance to win. If you have 2 teams, and one driver has one or 2 disconects, one team has no chane to win, but the second team still has, because the disconnect affects only one team. The more teams, the more disconnects you can deal with.

but what has this to do with the maximum number auf racers per team?! no one is holding a team back to start with 3 racers and two racing-teams, even if there is a maximum team number of 6 racers.

they aren't forced to use that maximum aren't they? in your rules they even can signup 6 one-racer-teams.

btw. there are ppl who arent that competative as you seem to be. some racers just want to join the race with some friends and have a good time.

p.w.:
it's not a discussion when there are just some oldskoolers boasting that they have done some 24h races with less than 4 drivers. maybe it's my age, but for me the important part is the racing and the teamplay, not playing some game for a very long time and staying awake as long as i can. been there, done that, nothing to boast about. there was barely anyone who was objecting to more racers, but a lot who liked to have more drivers per team. most of them just stated with how much racers they would like to start.
Quote :btw. there are ppl who arent that competative as you seem to be. some racers just want to join the race with some friends and have a good time.

exactly this is what we figured out for the new rules. But you must wait a bit, Im sorry for that.
Quote from Becky Rose :Because when sim racing your legs are in a fixed position for much longer. In bed you move, in a real car your body is more mobile than in a chair.

People die on planes from blood clots over much shorter periods of time, in sim racing the body is even more fixed in its position. Particularly the legs, the movement of which your body relies on.

All I am saying is that anyone attempting this on their own should get medical advise before hand to check they are physically fit enough - although in truth, blood clots effect physically able people indiscriminately, and I am saying it is irresponsible for an event organiser to accept single driver entries for a 24hr event when they know some of their audience are young and influencable.

Absolutly true, and please don't allow people to do this alone. It's always how accidents happen in videogames (YES, it does happen!): some kid plays for an incredible ammount of time, eventually dies of it for some reason.
Booscht, thats why if I feel like theres a large risk to my health during the race (woozy feeling or dizzy), I'll pit and take a break (walk around the house, make coffee). Trying to keep on pace, but whats better? Surviving the race and losing, or dying and losing?
I am driving alone, and I might actually go run a lap around the block (yes, at 3:00 AM) during a pitstop, just to keep alive. Also Becky, my status during the race will be more like OMG! THERES BLOOD IN MY CAFFEINE... :P
I'd love to get an LX6 team together but this is right in the middle of my exams. This is also the reason I've been putting off the LXCC season 2, it's my final year at school before university and I need to do well. My schedule is busier than I expected. At best, I do 2 hours of LFS a week, all dedicated to SARL.
I'm just gonna put this out there, since it's a discussion that's been going on within UKCT the last day or two, and I don't want anyone to be under the wrong impression about where we stand on it, as responsible adults:-

We (as in the UKCT bunch, collectively - non-LFS and LFSers alike) are very concerned about Dustin's 1-man entry into this event. BUT.. we're not his parents, so we can't SAY he can't do it. We're just strongly encouraging him to be sensible about it.

If anyone is going to go for this as a single driver, they must understand that it IS a dangerous thing to do. We'll be continuing to nag Dustin to share the drive with at least one other driver, and more if we can. We'll continue to point out the dangers and the complications of deep vein thrombosis etc. Driving for 24hrs is more than a challenge. It's a nightmare. I have actually physically done it, stopping only for gas and snacks. I wouldn't choose to do it again because it's simply not worth the risk.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I am driving alone, and I might actually go run a lap around the block (yes, at 3:00 AM) during a pitstop, just to keep alive. Also Becky, my status during the race will be more like OMG! THERES BLOOD IN MY CAFFEINE... :P

You know what man, that isn't even funny. Please find a partner or two for this event.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I am driving alone, and I might actually go run a lap around the block (yes, at 3:00 AM) during a pitstop, just to keep alive. Also Becky, my status during the race will be more like OMG! THERES BLOOD IN MY CAFFEINE... :P

Clots form without symptoms btw Dustin, they kill you when they become dislodged (when you finaly move after the event) and then they travel around your body, you'll say "urgh".

You get a few seconds, and then you die.
Solution? Don't move after the race...

Realistically, I'm starting to think about these health thingies, and I'll probably go yell at my doctor going "YO! GIMME TEH DRUGS DAWG!" (Simplifyed for ease of reading), and look into it more then just "OMG, I AM TEH MASTER OF ENDURANCE", and brag that I have great "Stamina"... :hide:.
Or you could just bring yourself back to earth and say this is a stupid idea and I should't try it without at least having another driver.
I hope the organizers also see what kind of negative publicity you may get from this if people "with artistic and journalistic skills" notice this? Imho, a decision denying participation for teams with less than 3 memebers is perfectly valid decision because it is based on health risks.

You are organizing a great event guys, just use some sensible rules and we can forget this 1-man team debate. As organizers you will also be partly responsible if something happens. Are you willing to take that responsibility
Some of us are responsible adults, and perfectly capable of making our own decisions.

I'm taking what's been said under advisement, and looking into my options.
Some physical training doesnt sound like a bad idea at all, and staying properly hydrated can do nothing but help, and will certainly urge you to move about during pit services.

I wouldnt object if the organizers imposed a mandatory break on one man attempts every few hours. Get up, move around, do some stretches, concider whether or not to continue. I do intend to have ful time contact with the rest of my team Via Ventrilo for the duration of the race, as we always do. They will also no doubt keep a watchful eye. We certainly believe in the buddy system

If, after concidering my options, I decide against the solo attempt I will either withdraw my entry or add other drivers to the roster. I could even have another local driver take over at my own PC.

If the organizers change thier mind about solo attempts, please alert those signed up for it and update the rules accrodingly so that we can make adjustments to our plans.
We are thinking about a minimum pitstop length atm (for 1 driver teams)... like 10 minutes.
But it's really not easy to decide because those guys who want to drive alone (its not just Dustin), might be very angry if we force them into a team or they will say with 10 minutes stops its not really a "new record" ... dunno.

Another thing I want to mention is: Iirc the longest time that an LFS driver has driven without a break was 16 hours.... so you would have to effectively double this, because the last 8 hours will feel as hard as the first 16

Its by far not as easy as you think, its indeed a nightmare, just like SamH said...

Neither me nor the other admins know how to handle this, tbh
Specially Husky seems to be prepared better than Dustin, and he takes it way more seriously...
Quote from Becky Rose :

Any driver running alone should take a heperin injection or take Wolferine to thin their blood as the risk of death due to a blood clot is extremely high, in fact, almost guaranteed.

Isn't that something to do with Adamantium?

I think you mean Warfarin, which used to be employed as rat poison, and I can say from experience that it isn't something to screw about with. Not a drug that I can recommend you self-administer without considerable knowledge.

You're much better off taking a regular walk about the room with every pit-stop if you really have so little do that you'll be happy to sit in front of a monitor for 24 hours....
That's the one, rat poison. It's better than death.
This is crazy. I did a 1hr 45 min race once and by the end my back hurt, my arms were tired and my eyes were sore and dry. The last 15 mins were no fun at all. And these guys want to do 24 hours? lol
Quote from Becky Rose :That's the one, rat poison. It's better than death.

Get the dose wrong (or discover that you're sensitive) and your INR will go sky high, in which case it may be the same as death. Been there and got the story to tell in the pub.

But whatever.... 24hours of playing games alone just isn't healthy, however you look at it.
Quote from Gentlefoot :This is crazy. I did a 1hr 45 min race once and by the end my back hurt, my arms were tired and my eyes were sore and dry. The last 15 mins were no fun at all. And these guys want to do 24 hours? lol

Some of us have done double and triple stints of an hour or more. as long as you have someone on the radio with you, its a lot easier to stay loose and concentrated than you think.
I'd love to do this but I doubt I can get a team together
I wouldn't mind having a crack at it, but I am at the Nurburgring that weekend .

On the subject of long stints, yes, it can be deadly, think of all those mad Koreans who die playing MMORG's.

Mind you, if you are young, fit and healthy you should be ok I reckon, aslong as you make a conscious effort to move around every now and then.

Personally I struggle to do 45mins in one go, last night in the ESL race my back was killing me towards the end of race 2 LOL, but I am a bit older than many LFS drivers
Just been speed reading the thread, so probably I've missed something... But how exactly does this work: does a team have to be in the same physical location to swap drivers over ie. using the same computer?

What, apart from testosterone and a desire to look into the abyss, is stopping aspirant, but solo, drivers from forming a team?
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG