The online racing simulator
TEST Patch V2 (compatible with V)
(198 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Rtsbasic :Nice list..bit suprised to see there's extra fps to be gained, LFS already runs 2x the framerate most other sims do. Nice work.

Well I've just tested that in final form and the frame rate increase is very minimal, if at all. Actually I think it's just a bit smoother. Anyway it's cleaner code, quicker loading ("generating" time is shorter) and less memory usage, and less popup because the track segments don't use LOD any more. The LOD check was a slightly expensive square root for every object in previous versions.

Cars and trackside objects like cones, lamp posts, etc, still use LOD. LOD is higher overall now (because of the removal of wider screen affects LOD - it assumes you have a high resolution screen now, regardless of your screen res) unless you turn down your user LOD, which will affect mainly cars. It was a bad setting to use in the past because it cause track popup.
Quote from CLRS530 :Hi Scawen, could you attach the new insim.txt (if you finished wrote it) so that we can start updating our programs?
Or also for possible wish for something to change

I will attach that to the InSim thread in the programmer forum later this afternoon. So there will be time to discuss the changes before the patch (V3 should be at some time this week depending on how many more changes there will be).
Quote from a n d 1 :Exspecially this line makes me very happy! So hopefully you will be able to finish your work for V3 soon and start working on the necessary stuff (sorry if i call it that, but for me it is most important) again.

Happy going Scawen and make us happy again

Well I assume you mean by "necessary stuff" the planned incompatible changes.

Actually physically incompatible and multiplayer incompatible changes are no more "necessary" than the compatible changes, if you read the V change log, many of the changes were extremely important.

From reading the "Intel have spoken" thread in the main forum, it's clear that many people don't understand that... they can't understand why the features they personally consider most important haven't yet been done. But it's quite simple, there are many things to be done before S2, and they all have to be done at some point. The way I work is to do the compatible ones first, so the community tests them and we can put such an important patch as V out, so LFS still runs on new computers and has many improvements compared with the old U version. The plan now is to do a physically compatible but multiplayer incompatible version. This will of course make a few people very angry because their favourite feature will not be done. But it'll be good because the multiplayer incompatible version will have important updates that can be used while the physically incompatible version is developed.

It's not my concern, to worry about the people who can't understand our way of working and our choice of priorities. Our aim is to get S2 out and order the priority of features in any way we like, also following a bit of inspiration here and there, and cleaning up old code as well so LFS can continue to develop into the future.
Quote from Scawen :It's not my concern, to worry about the people who can't understand our way of working and our choice of priorities.

Quote from KingOfIce :Hi Scawen !

Thanks for all u do on LFS !!!

I have tested this new patch on Xp and i haven't any problem... On Vista, i've got a bug on mirrors : about every 2-3 seconds, no picture (except wheels and smoke).

(See on the 2 attached pictures)

Computer used : C2D E6600, 2x8800 GTX (sli) - tested with 3 different drivers

Edit : after some more tests, it seems to happen always in the same locations !
Edit 2 : i know it's perhaps not a LFS bug (driver!), just i report...

Hope it can help you...
Regards,
FRH KingOfIce

After some new tests, the disappearance of the objects in the mirrors always seems to occur at the same places of the circuit (idem to return).
It's strange but it is what I observed…

Do not hesitate if you want more informations or specific tests !
FRH KingOfIce
Sorry for the non patch related question...
Scawen, you talked before about removing the Hardware Vertex Shader option. I was just wondering if the HVS path is totally different to the non HVS path or if you just create the device with D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING instead?
I got the Intel G965 chipset so I use the software path now since intel haven't fixed their drivers yet. Works alright when there is not that many people around but gets quite sluggish even with a Core2 Duo 6600 at the start of the race.
For those in the same boat you can see Intels latest info here: http://www.intel.com/support/g ... ntelg965/sb/CS-025665.htm
Quote from Scawen :Improved options for follow view (chase cam)

I'm not sure If I have reported this yet, but there is a slight glitch when viewing a car in chase cam, and then pressing ESC...Options...Player. It will rotate the camera, and it doesnt return to the correct position when you leave the menu.
It's sometimes really annoying when the car seems to be following the camera, rather the camera following the car
Maybe the rotation can be removed, just like in the rest of the menu.
is there a plan to add working cockpit gauges and mirrors while in external view? or it is maybe a bug :S
Scawen,

I generally don't post directly to you or the other devs regarding the sim, but I would like to make an observation. Over the past year or so, I've noticed that you have started to defend yourself against posts like and1's, and I sense some growing frustration in your posts. I think his relative lack of experience with this sim (he's finished all of 13 races with an S2 license) has led him to be a little more impatient when it comes to waiting for updates.

I just wanted to publicly voice my support for your, and Eric and Victor's, efforts on the development of LFS. Sure, I've had times where I've wanted this or that, or was getting anxious for another update, but there is a reason why I've been playing this sim for 3+ years now: I enjoy watching the sim develop as much as I enjoy racing.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the ride as much as we do!
banshee just a little note check my signature i have two lfs accounts
Quote from banshee56 :Over the past year or so, I've noticed that you have started to defend yourself against posts like and1's, and I sense some growing frustration in your posts. I think his relative lack of experience with this sim (he's finished all of 13 races with an S2 license) has led him to be a little more impatient when it comes to waiting for updates.

I wouldn't say and1 (Andreas Grauel, one of those ESL Pro Series drivers) is new to LfS...

Anyway, I'm always baffled at how much punch the devs got to take sometimes (happens to be one of those times lately) and how good they're taking it. Keep it up!
Quote from banshee56 : I think his relative lack of experience with this sim (he's finished all of 13 races with an S2 license) has led him to be a little more impatient when it comes to waiting for updates.

Sorry for Hijacking but better check his other lfs account (http://www.lfsworld.net/?win=s ... mp;racer=Andreas%20Grauel)

But in general I agree with you.

@ Scavier: just do it like you have done it in the last years and have fun on your journey to... well, whereever your inspiration will lead to
Quote from banshee56 :Scawen,

I generally don't post directly to you or the other devs regarding the sim, but I would like to make an observation. Over the past year or so, I've noticed that you have started to defend yourself against posts like and1's, and I sense some growing frustration in your posts. I think his relative lack of experience with this sim (he's finished all of 13 races with an S2 license) has led him to be a little more impatient when it comes to waiting for updates.

I just wanted to publicly voice my support for your, and Eric and Victor's, efforts on the development of LFS. Sure, I've had times where I've wanted this or that, or was getting anxious for another update, but there is a reason why I've been playing this sim for 3+ years now: I enjoy watching the sim develop as much as I enjoy racing.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the ride as much as we do!

Thanks. I'd just like to say that most of my post wasn't directed really at Andreas, mostly about the "Intel has spoken" thread.

I'm really not that frustrated about it. It does make me puzzle to understand why a few people keep coming back with the same old questions, but I'm basically done with explaining my point, it's gone too far in the past and involved too much emotion. That's why of course I won't reply on that thread and get into the same old discussion again. All the points I could make have been made over there already by some people who do understand the development process very well.

One thing I think is a pity though is that we are here making a sim for entertainment, we do a lot of work and reworking and give small updates often and large updates a couple of times per year, and it's just a little sad when it causes people to attack us in various ways, and so inconsistent those who say we have got it all wrong but still made the best sim (in their opinion)...

Anyway I'm past being very concerned, I just realise now that whatever you do, there will always be a few who want to attack.

But don't worry, I know that the majority of people accept and support our way of doing things, and there is even a greater silent majority there who normally just read and watch, and only say something when it's really needed (and that's not now).
Quote from Scawen :and there is even a greater silent majority there who normally just read and watch, and only say something when it's really needed (and that's not now).

bah , i`ll hold breath for a little while longer

(btw keep up the good work)
So a multiplayer incompatible version, aside from obviously not be compatible online, will it break any other compatibilities? MPRs for instance? Without physics changes I would assume setups and SPRs would be safe, as would all the hotlaps and such.

Either way, I don't care really, just curious, as are we all.
Scawen said before that mainly the gtrs will be updates with some new parameters, so surely the physic will be changed too (thats what my status is ).
Quote from CLRS530 :Scawen said before that mainly the gtrs will be updates with some new parameters [...]

[citation needed]

Seriously, do not spread rumours. IF Scawen really said so, please provide a link. Then, and only then will I tone down the sarcasm.
I don't rememeber that; just that he mentioned ages ago the GTR interiors were not done in time to make the last incomp patch... Surely the other cars have been treated by now as well (hoping)

"citation needed" is right LOL
I can't say too much because it's things that have not yet been done, and nothing's definite until it's done. But basically I think can do some multiplayer things in a short time, that will be useful improvements for a patch W. One thing is I would like to allow more racers online (total 24) and more spectators. I have a list of a few small improvements for this quick multiplayer patch. Hotlaps would be unaffected. Then the community will have that improved multiplayer version with the same physics, while we work for some time on physics updates (not in public). Now please don't ask me more about it and don't make any requests. I'm just letting you know about this little plan because I already let slip that there would be some multiplayer incompatible changes. I don't want to discuss that here, this is a test patch thread to report issues with V2. Maybe it was a mistake to say anything at all. It may not happen. It's not very exciting either, so not worth talking about. There will not be any updated tracks or car interiors, until the physically incompatible patch. Thanks!
I have a suggestion.... maybe you should lock the test patch section? There are so many repeat posts and such.
Yes, I will close the test patch section if anyone asks me about future versions any more. Then I'll re-open it when V3 comes out.

I hope I don't have to do that because it's really inconvenient closing and opening forums just because people don't understand that a test patch forum is a place to talk about existsing test patches, and not a place to have chats with me about the future development of LFS.

But it's my fault for replying in the first place to Andreas. Sorry about that.
Well i have been reading alot lately but never really felt like posting anything here . A few things that bother me is that alot of people keep bringing up stuff that was said or done before . We should all be happy with the game as it is (ofcourse there is always improvement etc etc) but personally i think this game is by far one of the best if not the best race sim game of all time . I have GTR2 , rfac gt legends Race WTCC etc etc etc (dont want to bring up sim vs sim atention) but i like LFS much much better by far then all the others . I really apreciate what Scawen and CO. are doing for the LFS community and for you Scawen three words : YOU F.....G ROCK !!! Keep up the good work
This thread is closed

TEST Patch V2 (compatible with V)
(198 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG