The online racing simulator
Kyoto GP Long Rev progress
Hey everyone.

I was just curious as to how people are getting on with the LX's at Kyoto. This week we'll be disconnecting from K... erm, I mean racing at Kyoto, in cloudy morning conditions, with a low wind, and an LXCC layout of straw bales.

Have people been practicing? How are people doing?

Personally I've just done a race simulation (for a racing simulation race ), and am pretty happy with my setup (which I won't be posting just yet, so don't ask in case my answer offends), and my lines. All I'm lacking now is a margin for error on some of the more tricky, faster corners, but that's easily added.

My hotlap time, which is obviously in sunny, zero wind conditions without the bales, is currently at 2:49.95. However, this time is pretty meaningless for the LXCC with the layout - how are people coping with that? Again, personally, I'm finding them a little tricky in places. They seem to be just a little too close to the track for my liking, even if you're not 'cutting', so it'll take a bit of getting used to. My race simulation was conducted with them, and I found I clipped on ever-so-slightly every four or five laps. They also cost me time, as my lines and exit speeds have to be adjusted to avoid them. Are you coping okay?

I would also ask one of the stewards (Anton, James, Rob?) to clarify what will constitute a bale related incident?

If I clip one with my front inside wheel, but it doesn't move.
If I clip one with my rear inside wheel (perhaps after it hits my front), but it doesn't move appreciably.
If I clip one with a wheel, and it moves noticeably, but doesn't obstruct a following driver
If I clip one with a wheel, it moves, and requires avoidance by a following driver, or indeed causes an accident/contact with said following driver(s).

Which of the above will be considered for penalty?

Also, if you turn up to a corner, and the bales are missing from a previous incident, how strictly will the rule about not cutting where they used to be be applied? I ask because it's very difficult to judge where it was if it isn't there, and I fear that I may fall foul of this. In the interests of reducing the laptime impact of the bales I plan on being pretty close to them every lap, and it's inevitable that there will be the occasional little brush of them, or the extra cutting of the corner in their absence. I just want to know to what extent they will be stewarded, preferably before the event.

Maybe this thread can be the drivers briefing for the race? In which case I'm asking the first question

Edit: To clarify after Hyper's post below, it's not the use of the bales that I find a problem, nut just a few are a bit too close to the track. I know it's a hard compromise between giving drivers room and disallowing cutting, but some of the bales are either on or too close to the kerbs. One slight error and you'll hit them, even if you weren't intending to gain an advantage from cutting. This could be made worse in a racing environment where accuracy of lines is sometimes sacrificed to allow room or discourage a pass. Hence I would like a little clarification about what we (I?) can get away with or not.
Driving the LX6 around Kyoto feels a lot like drifting. Few fast sweepers and the rest is just drag racing between corners. In short, I hate this combo

I haven't yet done my race simulation, but the biggest challenge will be to deal with the car getting lighter. With more fuel the LX6 is quite stable but with less fuels it drifts happily on all fast corners and sweepers. Not really sure about my setup, at least tire temperatures don't seem to have big effect.

Not really sure what to expect from the race. The T1/T2/T3 is terrible for these cars

I was the one who suggested the hay bales on Kyoto, and by looking at the Kyoto track layout they are imho very needed. The chicane connecting the oval and KY3 section is just plain stupid anyway . Without the hay bales you could just drive over the green stuff, gain a lot time without any penalty in form of suspension damage or losing control.
#3 - maczo
I like the track, I have to say, a lot more than Aston North. I do not like both the chicanes though (with or without the hay bales), but what can I do?

Even more, I do not like the fact that the LX6 will require refuelling, as I hate pitstops and I suck at them

But as always I will show up with my noobness and enthusiasm (well, if I manage to get an additional unlock by Tuesday...)
See you there.
I enjoy this combo a little, i love XFR here so the track isn't the problem. I have a nice stable setup but still need to practice.

Yeah and that pit thing for a squirt of fuel, just frikken great!

I might not be able to make it to this race and have posted in the team forum if someone can take my place, if not it will be open for another racer.
I have a question about the final straight. Are we allowed to stay right for the shortest line even though that invades the pitlane entrance? Or do we have to stay left of the yellow lines?

I like this combo it's fun. Can't seem to run below 2:53s in the LX4 very well yet though. Layout is fine for me since I never really cut the track much anyway. I figure the track is designed to be driven on; not circumvented
#6 - axus
Tristan, I quote myself from the "Participating Racers" post:

"Special rules regarding corner cutting: a special layout has been made using hay bales to prevent corner-cutting, mostly in the first sector. People who are seen to consistently bump these hay bales will be penalised in points or otherwise. Racers seen intentionally abusing missing bales due to them having been hit by other racers will also be penalised."

As for Jeff's question - try to avoid running through the yellow lines of pit entry, but you can use the section next to the concrete barrier down the pit straight.
Hmmmm, okay, so I'll just take my chances. I have a funny feeling someone is going to get a harsh penalty this race, and I just hope it isn't me.

Actually looking forward to this, because the track is pretty awesome, and all of it is difficult. I can't really think of one 'easy' corner, and that's before wind and lightening fuel loads.
#8 - axus
Maybe I should move some hay bales around, a few inches in. You'll only be penalised if you're seen as intentionally doing it though.
Noticed you've moved the bales and posted a new layout in the other thread. Thanks. I'll give it a whirl later.
YAY down to the mid 2:52s.

Did a decent hotlap tonight (2:52:41), plan on comparing to WR (2:49:26) using AFS in a minute... Will be my first AFS experience, should be a hoot.

Also saw the bales tonight; they don't bother me. Not that there won't be some close calls

Quote from axus :As for Jeff's question - try to avoid running through the yellow lines of pit entry, but you can use the section next to the concrete barrier down the pit straight.

... "try to avoid" ... As in - I will catch poo if I run through it? Or as in "it's frowned upon but not penalized". I see nothing in the rules about particular track markings....
#11 - axus
As in if you consistently cut through there, we'll hang you upside down and part you from your manhood. As in, we don't mind if you're forced to go through there because you're racing another car.
Quote from axus :As in if you consistently cut through there, we'll hang you upside down and part you from your manhood. As in, we don't mind if you're forced to go through there because you're racing another car.

What about in quali? Ok to cut?
#13 - axus
Rather not... its not like it makes a big difference anyway.

EDIT: Just to clarify - you're welcome to cut the pit exit yellow lines. The pit entry ones are usually the ones that penalties are given for in real racing, AFAIK.
#14 - axus
Correction, no restrictions on pit entry or exit cutting.
In order words be careful of cars leaving the pits, but feel free to drive where you like, as long as you don't hit straw bales
You guys must be racing soon. Cool.

AFS is amazing, I can't beleive I never used it before. I am at WR pace up until that fricking chicane leading onto the oval. I lose substantial time there since it really seems necessary to brake; however the WR replay does NOT brake. (yikes). Also , the lefthander that takes you under the bridge (following the exit of the randhander leaving the oval, there is a RLL combo... it's the second left) is costing me much time. Luckily I have a few more days to sort it out, although I won't be able to practice much tonight or
tomorrow. Tristan how about that Setup now :P
Our qually should start in 2hr12, so quite soon.

The WR doesn't brake at that first chicane you mention, but does use a LOT of the nasty kerbs on the right. With our bales we can't, so don't worry too much about that.

As for the second left before the 'back straight under the bridge', brake very gently and quite early so you can accurately control the speed you lose, without upsetting the car, or runnning wide. If you watch the WR he's braking for the second left before the apex of the first left. Gotta try and let 90mph be your MINIMUM speed through there.

As for the setup, it's in the post. With Royal Mail's recent record it should be with you in about 2 to 3 weeks
I'm starting to think there's hope for me; being 101.8% isn't actually too bad after 2 days / 40 laps with a car & track. I probably never set the road on fire but perhaps I can learn to become somewhat competitive

Tristan, for the race - and since you've confessed to being a paddle-wuss like me now - are you using cut on upshift or no? I would think the LX4 would suffer some engine damage over a race like this...
I've been thinking about it. The drop in lap times might be too much (not tested to see how much slower I am with throttle cut), but the advantage of saving the engine might be much greater.

I think I'll keep it off and manually cut the throttle a bit. If I forget I go a bit quicker, and if I don't then the pop corn will remind me to start
Erm, was on the server twice but lagged out, now the master server is giving me 2 fingers when I try to connect, everything else is working fine, no firewalls etc etc.

I'll try and get on but I can't think what the hell it is.
It seems that the server crashed after the top 10 finished. Or I can't find the server :/

And damn pit strategy. Couldn't have chosen any worse
Yay, down to consistent mid 2:51s
nice
to be honest i would very much like to drive lx4 if it was possible but hey looks like ill have to stick to what i have , not that lx6 is bad
i got 2:49 in my 2nd ever lap there in lx4 thats why its easy to drive it there. i guess 2:42 isnt that bad aswell in lx6
Wanna switch then? :>
#25 - axus
No, he doesn't. He wants to stay in the LX6.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG