The online racing simulator
OLFSL needs help!
I have just found out, that the OLFSL Staff is once again shrinking. Now we are in a situation, that we only have ONE SERVER that can take 20 racers. Basically the only available hosts are me and FienDi.
Our connection can take 13-14 racers/pool. We would get a faster connection, but that's not possible in Finland if we don't have a company. Fastest connection available here is 8/1, but 1 Mbit is still slow. Atm me and FienDi have a 2 Mbit/512 kbps connection at home.

This is why I'm asking our members to help us out. If you have a server we could borrow or better yet; you want to become a host, please contact me ASAP (email address below). We can't pay for it, since OLFSL has no income, but help is very highly appreciated.
We are in the middle of re-organizing OLFSL, and there may be vacancies in the staff as well.

We are really desperate to get someone to help us with the servers, because otherwise there are 2 options: 1. pools will get a lot smaller and we still can't run the league as it is. 2. this is the end of OLFSL. If not for good, then at least for a long time, until we can get a sponsor for the servers.

This is the situation now, and it might get even worse.
All volunteers (if there are any).. contact me: mrsfiendi@pp.inet.fi

--
Mrs FienDi
i may be able to help here - i'm currently waiting for the confirmation of my DSL6000 upgrade, which would mean 512kb up..

i'd also have a spare computer to host the races, but i can't make a promise before the upgrade really works - and i hope it will soon, but maybe not before the start of the new season...
Is the option to donate money to OLFSL via paypal out of question? Someone suggested this before in another thread, and I think it's a good idea. I would be willing and able to donate a little money. And I'm sure others feel the same if that ensures that we can have our full OLFSL season soon .
Quote from Linsen :Is the option to donate money to OLFSL via paypal out of question? Someone suggested this before in another thread, and I think it's a good idea. I would be willing and able to donate a little money. And I'm sure others feel the same if that ensures that we can have our full OLFSL season soon .

No, I'm working on that. We just need to find out all the legal stuff and tax issues to avoid unpleasant surprises This may take a while, but it's coming..

We also have an idea about how to get access to a 100 Mbit connection, but that's still a dream.. We have to put together a GREAT presentation to win the people over who decide if we get access to it or not, but before that we have to find out who has enough power to decide about that stuff. And then there's once again this legal side and permits and everything.. *sigh*
damn my upload is too slow :'(

I hope people can help we can't let the OLFSL die!!!
#6 - gloom
You can use the "THE-OVAL-OFFICE.COM" server for the races if you want. pm me if you need info about the admin data. It`s a professionally hosted server with 23 slots.

also you should consider a paypal account, I would surely donate money regularly as many others might do
#7 - th84
u can also use the [noobs] public #2 if ud like.

edit: its a 20 racer server btw
Really sorry I've forced you into this mess, nothing new for me, but it must be frustrating, I know. Carefull with all the "good" intentions ....
3 M / 768 available for you whenever, for free
-
(th84) DELETED by th84
I have a Upload of 384kb and down 3000kb (DSL 3000) and Ping from 15-22ms in german. Is this to slow for a Server? If not, i would help with hosting.
Entry fee suggestion!
Hi, Johnathan Russ here!

I was wondering about an entrance fee for the races/season. Not an expensive one, but one that would pay for the servers etc and if there's any left over maybe a prize or two?

Here's my maths, as I'm from United Kingdom I'm gonna use my currency for simplicity but it obviously can be Euro's or whatever.
1 x 10 race season

Season ticket per car £4.00
(£0.50 per race with a £1.00 discount for season member)

or

£0.50 per race per car.

So lets say we have 500 members who want to do this, say 350 of them buy season tickets, and the other 150 compete in every race and pay £0.50 per race.
That would bring in £2150

Advantages to idea....

1) Less crappy racers will join, leaving the servers to dedicated fun loving racers who want clean races.

2) Possibilty of a good prize or two.

3) Dedicated server and upload download speed with the case, smooth racing for all.

Disadvantages to idea....

1) Most people will probably not like the idea initially

2) Some people might not be able to afford it.

Whadda does everyone think?

lol

"Most people will probably not like the idea initially" - so you have already answered your question
doesn't mean it would not be a damn good solution though does it?
Quote from russraine :doesn't mean it would not be a damn good solution though does it?

I agree, that it would solve the income issue. But, it might also cost us a lot of members. That's why we are now working on the donation account and OLFSL Shop. Then people can still race for free, but if they want to pay some of the costs, they can donate a few euros/pounds/dollars etc or go buy something from OLFSL Shop.

Maybe if 65% (or more) of our members wanted us to change this and start selling season/race tickets, then we might re-think this. But for now we'll stick with the plan above.
I think it's a good plan, and I'm sure it will raise enough money to pay for the expenses (at least I hope so). Can't wait for the season to start .
Good idea Johnathan, but I agree with Mrs FienDi, it would mean some/alot of members would leave.

The donation plan is much better as those who like the OLFSL can show their support, and still people who cant afford to give money away can still race in this league.

I belive a lot of school children play LFS so whould not be able to afford to sign up for a season.

The idea that "Less crappy racers will join..." is really a bad thought as the OLFSL help out alot of new people to LFS who want to race within a league. Their pool system is fair so that all the fast people race in a seperate pool and the slower (like me :P) race in another pool.

So come on ...... bring on the OLFSL Mugs, T-Shirts etc... :P
Quote from Mrs FienDi :I agree, that it would solve the income issue. But, it might also cost us a lot of members. That's why we are now working on the donation account and OLFSL Shop. Then people can still race for free, but if they want to pay some of the costs, they can donate a few euros/pounds/dollars etc or go buy something from OLFSL Shop.

Maybe if 65% (or more) of our members wanted us to change this and start selling season/race tickets, then we might re-think this. But for now we'll stick with the plan above.

I have seen quite some projects that were able to finance themselves by these methods.
I offer a server with 2mbit synchroneous connection for OLFSL. It's currently set up for 23 connections, though never tested it with more than 10 I believe that 2Mbits should handle 20 racers normally. It has been mostly private server so far but there's not much racing going on lately, so I would be glad if it could find some use. Only bad thing with this server is that it may lag a bit on normal workdays (monday-friday) between 5 AM and 4 PM GMT (8-19 in Finland) because some people occasionally use that machine for work. But as far as I know the OLFSL races usually take place at different time.

I'll probably join OLFSL too if there's new season being organized and I've got ELS ESCC league finished by that time.
New season will definitely be organized. And many more after that!
OLFSL has received many offers, thank you all. We most likely don't need them all in every event, but we can use them occasionally, that way every server gets a break. Besides, we only have 3 hosts

Again, thanks a lot for the help, it's nice to have people who are happy to help us out in situations like this.

We are currently planning a new season, and it will begin as soon as we get everything figured out.

See you on track!
Great news! Can't wait
Less crappy racers?
I know what you mean, I don't mean to put off racers with not much experience etc. Just there are some bully racers who are about and also those who would want to join just to wreck peoples races for a laugh, purposely driving badly etc. They wouldn't bother if it cost them money, the'd find a free league to mess about in.

Obviously I don't want to spend money, I'm not rich but sometimes it's worth it. Imagine going into bar, if you want to stay in the free area with all the casuals who get a bit drunk, shout a bit too much start fights then you can, or you could pay a little and be part of a more exclusive but welcoming private area for people commited to the sport.

Just an idea though!
Quote from russraine :Obviously I don't want to spend money, I'm not rich but sometimes it's worth it. Imagine going into bar, if you want to stay in the free area with all the casuals who get a bit drunk, shout a bit too much start fights then you can, or you could pay a little and be part of a more exclusive but welcoming private area for people commited to the sport.

Where are these bars!!!!!

Hehe, I have nver seen a wrecker in any OLFSL race so I dont think it would happen, besides why risk wrecking the race and then being banned and probably not only by OLFSL server. Many people who race in the OLFSL own there own server and would probably ban them the next tiem they are seen.
Quote from russraine :... I'm not rich but sometimes it's worth it. Imagine going into bar, if you want to stay in the free area with all the casuals who get a bit drunk, shout a bit too much start fights then you can, or you could pay a little and be part of a more exclusive but welcoming private area for people commited to the sport.

Just an idea though!

As I remember, LFS community is so great becouse there's no VIP sections for fast/very clean racers
We are all together in this

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG