The online racing simulator
Sleep every frame?
(5 posts, started )
Sleep every frame?
What do the option "Sleep every frame"? It have no effect. I guess CHatGPT-4 described me his option wrong.

Quote :LFS (Live for Speed) is a racing simulation game that focuses on realistic driving mechanics and physics. The "Sleep every Frame" option is an advanced setting designed to reduce CPU usage by inserting a brief pause after every rendered frame. These pauses help lower CPU consumption and system temperature, especially on older or less powerful computers.

When the "Sleep every Frame" option is enabled, the game briefly waits after rendering a frame before moving on to the next frame. This delay can help the computer better handle other tasks running simultaneously, such as background applications or multitasking.

However, it is essential to note that enabling "Sleep every Frame" may affect the frame rate or game fluidity, as the game is intentionally slowed down to insert pauses between frames. In some cases, this can result in a less smooth and less responsive gaming experience. If you have a more powerful computer or prioritize frame rate, you may want to keep the "Sleep every Frame" option disabled.

#2 - gu3st
Quote from matze54564 :What do the option "Sleep every frame"? It have no effect. I guess CHatGPT-4 described me his option wrong.

The GPT-4 description isn't too wrong. It's basically an intentional delay where LFS does nothing to allow other processes to do something. Less of an issue on modern multicore systems as there's 2-32 "cores" (cores + hyperthreaded cores) available to carry out tasks.
I'm amazed by how good Chat GPT's answer is. It is exactly correct.

On the other hand, I have also played with this setting in LFS and saw no obvious difference, but I keep it turned off. I also use frame limit instead of vsinc to cap the fps to 120, as it doesn't introduce any controller input lag.
Quote from rane_nbg :of vsinc to cap the fps to 120

For better results use 100 fps. But i have a 144 Hz FreeSync Monitor. Without such a Monitor works it anyway not.
I have a 60Hz monitor, so it looks more fluid if I set 120fps cap instead of 100fps. The physics and ffb engine anyway runs as 100Hz, unless there is a fps drop below 100fps, so all good there.

Sleep every frame?
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG