The online racing simulator
Well with me exploring the limits of my top fuel racer I have noticed some problems with the tires getting very hot quickly once you reach a certain speed, is this something that can be addressed without the new tires? Or a possible "drag" compound tire that either decreases the heat factor at high speeds, also some extra grip capabilities would be nice for that compound thanks. Also, drag staging and or transbrake+bumpbox, drag transmissions.

I think there also could be some extra tweaks like boost controllers
boost by speed, boost by gear etc, maybe we can tame some high horsepower beasts with that
#2 - gu3st
Quote from ELDemon :Well with me exploring the limits of my top fuel racer I have noticed some problems with the tires getting very hot quickly once you reach a certain speed

This is also an issue with the stock car.
In the editor, there are buttons "origin" and "object". It would be helpful to also have a button "driver" which would set the view from the driver's perspective, which would make tweaking of mirrors or interior parts easier without having to test it in game.
Is it necessary for LFS to keep the old versions of vehicle mods, when new models are downloaded?

My 'mods' folder is over 530mb, of which just over 30% are older versions of the same mod.
Attached images
LFS Vehicle mods.png
They are necessary if you want to play replays with older versions of those mods.
#6 - VladM
Cleanup from suggestions threads (done or off topic posts)
EDIT by Scawen:
Posts moved here from LFS Modeller Suggestions or Mods System Suggestions e.g. if a suggestion has been done or is off topic

The ability to break off subobjects into another subobject would be great. Or making it so when merging into main doesnt automatically merge the layer/s into the main one as well. Would help immensely when doing more complicated tasks within the editor
Quote from r3zp3k7 :Two more suggestions to the list:

- Option for naming attached objects. It's hard to remember, which "A" is which. Easier if names popup somewhere, when you press the the "A" object.

If you are in the "subob" tab, hold "ctrl+left mouse button" on top of the piece you want, it will automatically be redirected to the corresponding "A"
Quote from evandroPRO123 :If you are in the "subob" tab, hold "ctrl+left mouse button" on top of the piece you want, it will automatically be redirected to the corresponding "A"

I saw your message right away but forgot to reply. Thank you for that, definitely better than nothing in my case.
I suggest adding more hotkeys: like duplicate points/triangles (maybe CTRL+D) and flip triangles (CTRL+F). Makes work way easier, rather than clicking with the mouse every time.
I think with that "Model source blacklist" thread you've created a perfectly "Google-able" ripped model source database for people to use for illegal mods for other games and sims, not even just with specific links to [EDIT by Scawen - an illegal website], but even specific media fire links. Doing that on other forums yields you a ban, typically, RD even has automated filters like for that big [EDIT by Scawen - illegal website]..

In my opinion, keep that stuff internally, but not out in the open for literally everyone.
You may be right about that, so we are considering it. In the meantime I moved that thread in the Mod Reviews Forum so it's only S3 licensed that can see it. The thread exists for a few reasons, though we can see certain issues as you say.

EDIT: We have also removed links to the illegal website.
I have one that will improve workflow massively:
Select multiple tris sliding the cursor while pressing control instead clicking multiple times Big grin Just like the right click option but instead of a rectangle, just select tris
Please fix the licensing for mods. Currently, some mods licensed under permissive licenses such as CC-BY have "Derivatives are allowed" field set to "no", even though this is contradictory to the licenses. Also, some licenses are missing and therefore people have to pick licenses which do not meet the license of source.
r3zp3k7:

About mod folder cleanup, I agree it's complicated and hard to think of the best solution.

I should probably add a function to at least delete all the mods that are not the latest version of that mod name. That won't help watching old replays, but could be a useful cleanup for most people. This would be based purely on folder names. I've got a vague memory that someone might have made a program to do that at some point?

I've wondered about an enhancement to that function. It could read all your MP replays and detect which mods are in them to avoid deleting the mod versions found.

Buksikutya77:

If you are on a server for a long time, with a lot of different mods joining and leaving, there is a build-up of textures in memory. I think you can force a cleanup without leaving the server, by switching to low-res textures and back to high-res again. The development version has a texture purging system. Vehicle textures that have not been in use for a few minutes are removed from memory. But it was way too complicated for me to try and code that into the current public version.
Not sure if that's intended or not,but I'll leave this info here - with electric car if wheels don't touch the ground,energy is not used with full throttle. Car's odometer still counts the wheel distance,but energy stays unchanged.
Quote from Scawen :
Buksikutya77:

If you are on a server for a long time, with a lot of different mods joining and leaving, there is a build-up of textures in memory. I think you can force a cleanup without leaving the server, by switching to low-res textures and back to high-res again. The development version has a texture purging system. Vehicle textures that have not been in use for a few minutes are removed from memory. But it was way too complicated for me to try and code that into the current public version.

Doesn't GC (Garbage Collection) cause lag spike though? It may worth considering tying it together with a gameplay function for example entering pits where the lag spike doesn't matter. GC can cause significant lag spike with weaker CPUs too.
Quote from Buksikutya77 :Doesn't GC (Garbage Collection) cause lag spike though? It may worth considering tying it together with a gameplay function for example entering pits where the lag spike doesn't matter. GC can cause significant lag spike with weaker CPUs too.

Well I had the idea to do it a good way, instead of a terrible way! Big grin

The releasing of textures is spread over multiple frames. You can read about it here:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/2022776#post2022776 [start from 2 Nov]

But this is not a mod system suggestion so I will have to delete these posts soon.
#18 - FIZ
Quote from Scawen :r3zp3k7:

I've wondered about an enhancement to that function. It could read all your MP replays and detect which mods are in them to avoid deleting the mod versions found.

While it is important to have a cleanup function that removes all the old versions of a mod, I disagree about an enhancement check based on replays also.
If I want to watch a replay having old mods, then LFS will download the old mod. That is fine. I can wait a second for the download to end before starting the replay.
Cleaning up disk space is much higher priority.
LFS should display the actual mod folder size - but also how much could be saved if the cleanup started (it should not be hidden somewhere in the options because disk usage for mods is huge now).
Replays can contain many, many old mods.
I really don't want at all to leave old mod folders forever just because a very old replay still lies somewhere in my forever long replay list - otherwise no mod folders will be ever deleted basically!
Quote from FIZ :While it is important to have a cleanup function that removes all the old versions of a mod, I disagree about an enhancement check based on replays also.
If I want to watch a replay having old mods, then LFS will download the old mod. That is fine. I can wait a second for the download to end before starting the replay.
Cleaning up disk space is much higher priority.
LFS should display the actual mod folder size - but also how much could be saved if the cleanup started (it should not be hidden somewhere in the options because disk usage for mods is huge now).
Replays can contain many, many old mods.
I really don't want at all to leave old mod folders forever just because a very old replay still lies somewhere in my forever long replay list - otherwise no mod folders will be ever deleted basically!

hoe does this work with unpublished mods?
#20 - FIZ
Quote from johneysvk :hoe does this work with unpublished mods?

I hope that unpublished mods are flagged internally in some way that the LFS interface can check and then skip, while deleting only the real public mods even if there is no internet connection.
Unpublished mods are distinguishable by not having a '~' in the folder name, so should be able to be ignored even by 3rd-party cleaners.
About hotkeys / shortcuts:

Quote from r3zp3k7 :I suggest adding more hotkeys: like duplicate points/triangles (maybe CTRL+D) and flip triangles (CTRL+F). Makes work way easier, rather than clicking with the mouse every time.

Quote from kenblock30 :is there any way to add some shortcuts for functions like extrude, duplicate points or fuse to green? It could be really helpful for us who are modeling on the editor

I'm on tyre physics most of the time now but occasionally will update the editor. I wonder what are the most repeated functions (that would most benefit from a special key) and what those keys should be (maybe the same as in another program like Blender, when practical).

I asked Eric in August and he suggested:

Quote from Eric :As a quick experiment, I've selected a bunch of points in the Modeller and imagined clicking SHIFT+P to select connected triangles/polygons. Clicking SHIFT+P again will select connected points again which works exactly the same as the button function there already. I think that would be useful as P is logical for "polygons" or "points".

He also mentioned CTRL+S to save the main model.
Remove the selection of points on the middle mouse button.

When you're close to a car and you select a lot of points and you turn the camera and accidentally highlight a point on the middle mouse button, and the selection is reset, you also can't roll back the selection on ctrl+z..And you need to select everything all over again, it's annoying

Rotate Selected Points

We have a resizing function in point mode, but we can't rotate selected points in point mode, It would make life easier in some cases.
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :Remove the selection of points on the middle mouse button.

When you're close to a car and you select a lot of points and you turn the camera and accidentally highlight a point on the middle mouse button, and the selection is reset, you also can't roll back the selection on ctrl+z..And you need to select everything all over again, it's annoying

Rotate Selected Points

We have a resizing function in point mode, but we can't rotate selected points in point mode, It would make life easier in some cases.

You can rotate points. Select the points you want, click L / R / T / B so you enter the special view mode. Hold CTRL and you have R button. Slide that R and you rotate.

I Don't know if you meant, that's what I understood from your comment.
This thread is closed

Cleanup from suggestions threads (done or off topic posts)
(100 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG