The online racing simulator
Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :Two new language strings display charge instead of fuel in F11 / F12 menus

3h_chrg_hdr Charge - where is this string used? Is it supposed to be shown in garage to toggle charge out/in? The label still says "Fuel" there even if I choose an electric car. Actually it doesn't make much sense to show those toggle buttons for charge since it has no effect. Maybe they could be hidden for electric cars?
Attached images
fuel.jpg
Quote from Scawen :@chucknorris: Thanks for the info and link.

@MandulAA: Thanks for the feedback and future manual updates. Smile

The arrows changed when I added a circle for objects (well suited to the football) and at first it was an oval, so I adjusted the code to produce the 'correct' shape for the object. I think that same arrow is used as a mouse cursor in VR. I'm not sure if I should try to squash the same arrow a bit in this view (to make it more like before) provide a different character with a fatter look or just make it a bit smaller.

whatever is smaller and sharp enough is good
Quote from Flame CZE :3h_chrg_hdr Charge - where is this string used? Is it supposed to be shown in garage to toggle charge out/in? The label still says "Fuel" there even if I choose an electric car. Actually it doesn't make much sense to show those toggle buttons for charge since it has no effect. Maybe they could be hidden for electric cars?

That string is only currently used in F11 menu when viewing a remote car.

I agree the fuel button is not needed in the garage when viewing an EV. Smile
When practising for tyre changes, I was pressing a controller button I had assigned to run a script with /pitins commands. But I found myself looking in the chat to see the lines "ftyre super" and "rtyre super" confirmed after clicking the button. But I got confused when I couldn't see them. It turns out that because I had F12 open the messages are not displayed (as designed). But to avoid confusion in the heat of the moment, I think I should make the result of /pitins and /liveset visible in the chat regardless of F11 or F12 menus being visible. Any objections?
Sounds like a reasonable idea.

That actually gets me thinking...
In combination with multiple commands (per line or script) it might also be useful to be able to assign a name (or just use the script name). So instead of having muliple returns in the chat you would get something like "pitconfirm: wet".
Not sure if possible to add this in the current lfs version. But what annoys me in endurance races is to change pit instructions while driving. Other sims have options a teammember can set these settings as a teammanager. Might this be possible in the future, maybe even with a program like lfs remote?

I know you don't want to put massive time in new ideas, but this might be a nice feature after the big update.
Good job in the e-challenge... those blue-flaggers always gain that last chunk of time and burst into the mirrors out of nowhere, don't they? Big grin

These changes to the text commands reminded me of something I thought about a while back - using /o and /i messages bound to a wheel button in order to communicate with an InSim. I would watch the packets for a command, then call my 'insim button has been clicked' function to simulate receiving a click.

Would it be possible to have a /click command that directly triggered an InSim click inside LFS? I imagine it would need to be /click [local|host] ClickId, or /clicklocal ClickId and /clickhost ClickId.

If it could be done that way we could use it with any existing InSim, not just ones that were written to catch hidden i/o messages. We could build InSim menus that could be navigated without taking your hands off the wheel.

edit: just thought, you'd have to check the button id was displayed to that user, else people could cause all sorts of mischief by spamming random click ids on servers where the security is done by showing a panel or not. I'm sure you would, but better to say than not Wink
Quote from Scawen :When practising for tyre changes, I was pressing a controller button I had assigned to run a script with /pitins commands. But I found myself looking in the chat to see the lines "ftyre super" and "rtyre super" confirmed after clicking the button. But I got confused when I couldn't see them. It turns out that because I had F12 open the messages are not displayed (as designed). But to avoid confusion in the heat of the moment, I think I should make the result of /pitins and /liveset visible in the chat regardless of F11 or F12 menus being visible. Any objections?

Quote from three_jump :Sounds like a reasonable idea.

That actually gets me thinking...
In combination with multiple commands (per line or script) it might also be useful to be able to assign a name (or just use the script name). So instead of having muliple returns in the chat you would get something like "pitconfirm: wet".

Prefacing with the fact that I've not played with the new /pitins commands myself yet, but I imagine if it's confirming every setting in a script the chat may get a bit spammy?

If you want to confirm you ran the correct script, you can always add an /echo command to the end of the script - perhaps with coloured text to add clarity.
Quote from Racon :Good job in the e-challenge... those blue-flaggers always gain that last chunk of time and burst into the mirrors out of nowhere, don't they? Big grin

These changes to the text commands reminded me of something I thought about a while back - using /o and /i messages bound to a wheel button in order to communicate with an InSim. I would watch the packets for a command, then call my 'insim button has been clicked' function to simulate receiving a click.

Would it be possible to have a /click command that directly triggered an InSim click inside LFS? I imagine it would need to be /click [local|host] ClickId, or /clicklocal ClickId and /clickhost ClickId.

If it could be done that way we could use it with any existing InSim, not just ones that were written to catch hidden i/o messages. We could build InSim menus that could be navigated without taking your hands off the wheel.

I suppose what you can do (locally) already is to just detect button presses or commands with your InSim and then trigger whatever you need, so i don't really see the benefit for local but i guess there might be nice use-cases for hosts.
Test Patch D16:

Driver and fuel buttons in garage are now only shown if relevant
Result text for /pitins and /liveset is shown even if menu is visible
Updated translations - thanks to our volunteer translators

Command updates:

Multiple commands can now be added on a single line, which sometimes
can avoid the need for a script file, e.g. suppose you want to set a
button to change tyres in a pit stop, you could use a double command:
/pitins ftyre super /pitins rtyre super

NOTE: some commands cannot be followed by another command:
/say /echo /join /rcm /pass /msg

Maximum length of command and F key text increased to 95 characters

Wider text display in CTRL+ and ALT+ tabs in controls screen

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102117
Test Patch D17:

There is a new "Cleanup" mode in the mods screen. You can select to keep latest mods and test mods. There is not yet a feature to keep replay mods. I would like to add that but it's hard to do and I'd have to do it twice, in the public version and the development version. Better focus on more important things for now.

Car arrows are wider again more like the ones in 0.7D. They are also a tiny bit smaller. Let me know if they seem wrong on your screen.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102117
I was using LFS 0.7D15 and it was working correctly.
Now that I've installed the new patch 0.7D17, LFS won't open and is stuck.

Looking at the deb.log file I didn't see anything that could indicate the problem.

Mar 17 19:12:45 LFS : 0.7D17
Mar 17 19:12:45 timer resolution 1 ms
Mar 17 19:12:45 read config
Mar 17 19:12:45 get command line
Mar 17 19:12:45 preinit d3d
Mar 17 19:12:45 started Direct3D 9Ex
Mar 17 19:12:45 number of adapters : 1
Mar 17 19:12:45 adapter 0 - valid modes : 81
Mar 17 19:12:45 load font
Mar 17 19:12:46 -----
Mar 17 19:12:46 Init: SetPresentParams (1)
Mar 17 19:12:46 Init: CreateDevice
Mar 17 19:12:46 Init: GetRenderTarget
Mar 17 19:12:46 Init: GetDepthStencilSurface
Mar 17 19:12:46 Init: return
Mar 17 19:12:46 max texture size 16384
Mar 17 19:12:46 can do shadows
Mar 17 19:12:46 can do multi tex
Mar 17 19:12:46 load language
Mar 17 19:12:46 initialisations
Mar 17 19:12:46 tables
Mar 17 19:12:46 human system
Mar 17 19:12:46 helmet
Mar 17 19:12:46 controllers
Mar 17 19:12:46 load objects
Mar 17 19:12:46 start intro
Mar 17 19:12:46 end of initialisation
Mar 17 19:12:46 Controller 1 (Logitech Driving Force GT USB) :
Mar 17 19:12:46 Added 5 axes
Mar 17 19:12:46 init sound

In Windows Event Viewer I have the following error.

Attached images
event Viewer.png
That's strange. There have been around 40 downloads and no other such reports. We should rule out something coincidental.

Please can you try again with D15, and also D16 to see if they work now? How far does it get, do you see a window?

D15: https://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_7D_TO_7D15.exe
D16: https://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_7D_TO_7D16.exe

A couple of things you could try in cfg.txt:

Start Windowed 1
Screen Flags 53763

The first one will obviously start LFS in a window and the second one will avoid the list of events on the entry screen, same as /eventlist no (you can turn it on again later with /eventlist yes)
Quick test was fine.
The files marked to be deleted are quite hard to read because of the light red colour against the light blue background. Perhaps it would be more readable if they were fully red (255,0,0)?
Attached images
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 11.04.48.png
Great update!
Is it possible to have a more convenient place for the “fuel used per lap” and perhaps also add a 2nd decimal?
Currently switching from f9/ tires menu to f12 every now and then to check consumption (like you experienced in the Electric Challenge) is very difficult and will lead to mistakes. The 2nd decimal is just good to have because there is a big difference between 1.1 and 1.15 over 100 laps.

Thanks a lot Mr. Scawen, it is nice to see LFS blossom againn
Quote from Dennis93 :Is it possible to have a more convenient place for the “fuel used per lap” and perhaps also add a 2nd decimal?

A workaround that I use - you can edit the following line in your language file:

3g_fl_pc_pl %.1f%% per lap

and replace the 1 with any other number of decimal places.
I know what you mean about the accuracy, and I was wondering (also from E-challenge) if it would be helpful to show fuel/charge used in the last lap? When trying to drive more economically it seemed like I had to drive several laps to see the average come down, there was no immediate information about how effective my energy saving approach was.

First thoughts without thinking hard, should these values be displayed in the F9 area, similar to how the engine damage display was added? Maybe it's only really needed for EV so could be in the place where engine damage and clutch temperature are shown for ICE cars?
Yes, fuel used last lap is always the reference.
Currently for E-Challenge, you can only rely on the actual fuel number and be quick with maths.
I’d say fuel is also really important on ICE cars, if you race to a fuel number for an endurance race, it’s one of the most important things.
Problem is really the F12 menu being a bit big to have open for a long time as it can block most of the right side of the screen.
On the fuel topic, would it be a big workaround to “fuel to x%” instead of “add fuel”?
On other sims we usually get 2 numbers that are really useful:

1. Fuel last lap - allows you to know what you used last lap and adjust your driving in the following laps to suit your needs. When you have the fuel average, that part is kind of hard to do on the fly. I was spotting for Dennis in the last E-Challenge race and i had to calculate fuel used manually from the delta that was used that lap. This would be pretty impossible to do while you're driving yourself.

2. Laps of fuel remaining - Usually it's just fuel in tank divided by fuel last lap. This one is not as necessary as the fuel last lap, but it's nice to have for when you're racing alone and just need to know the number of laps you are able to hit with the current fuel usage rate and whether you are above or below your target.
Yep fuel calculations are crucial and hard to do well being single pilot.
Detect and monitor does help, by showing remaining laps, fuel, fuel by laps but having it directly available would be great.
What might be nice to have: laps remaining with last lap consumption. Laps remaining with average consumption.
Energy used Last lap, average, min/max.
after last translation update "hybrid" tires became "winter" tyres, i think it's super weird and it would be better to return it as it always was before
Attached images
Безымянный.png
Безымянный2.png
I don't know which Cyrillic language that is. If you look in the language file you might see the translator's name and if possible you could contact them directly? I've got so much to do, if you can save me doing this as well that would be helpful, thanks! Smile
About laps remaining / fuel usage per lap display, see the attachment for a mockup. Probably just grey on transparency like the other displays (not green on pure black). I'm asking more about the layout and information format.

Would this do the job? I'm not sure about "1L" and "AV". My intention is to replace the @ symbol with either a fuel tank or battery.

But some of you are good graphics designers so please let me know if you have a better idea.

EDIT: There are pictures of a first version actually implemented a few posts later.

Note that 48.6L (laps remaining) is already shown on the steering wheel (but not in all cars).
Attached images
laps_remain.jpg
Quote from Scawen :I'm asking more about the layout and information format.

Would this do the job? I'm not sure about "1L" and "AV". My intention is to replace the @ symbol with either a fuel tank or battery.

Looks good, Imao fuel tank icon is more intuitive, If there will be a battery, you can think about the ignition and 12v battery in case of ICE cars (which the absolute majority in the LFS), it would be ideal if the icon would change depending on the selected EV/ICE car.
This thread is closed

Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG