The online racing simulator
Smith Morra - 4 Door
Started this 3 months ago in blender, then the update/clarification about retopos came out. However, I may have a case that I didn't actually 'retopo' a model at least not the whole thing, as much of it doesn't really line up with the original mesh anymore due to redoing parts from scratch and many hours of adjusting things. Plus everything on the interior I didn't reference any model. The model I used as reference for the outside is an Assetto car, the 190e Mercedes.

For the outside, it is is no way a 1:1, there are differences. How different, is in my opinion getting into subjective territory as far as how different. Thus I can provide as many files as I have, and I have a ton. Besides placing every vertex, I ended up redoing a lot of it too (not retopoing the original at all, but working off of my old parts). I have provided many screenshots and a few videos. I'd have taken more had I realized I'd be making this thread one day.

Videos:
Making the door seam - https://youtu.be/0QAd4xUdt5c
Aligning the interior - https://youtu.be/6PJO127m8vA
Making the wheel hub - https://youtu.be/Uq7FkpTBqL8
(wheel hub with variations available for free in the lfs modding help discord)

If this is acceptable, I plan on adding some more detail to the interior like more texturing, make some rear headrests, gauge cluster details, LOD3, make it skinnable, perhaps swap license plate to the LFS one, and a number of other small things. Other than that it's pretty much done.
Attached images
Capture6.PNG
Capture7.PNG
Capture9.PNG
Capture10.PNG
Capture13.PNG
Capture14.PNG
Capture16.PNG
Capture17.PNG
Capture19.PNG
Capture27.PNG
Capture32.PNG
Capture37.PNG
lfs_00000001.jpg
lfs_00000005_2.jpg
Capture42.PNG
b_FrontFender_BaseOnLeft.PNG
b_FrontFender_BaseOnRight.PNG
c_FrontBumper_BaseMashOnTop.PNG
c_FrontBumper_BaseMashOnTop2.PNG
c_FrontBumper_BaseMashOnTop3.PNG
d_FrRoofArea_BaseMesh.PNG
d_FrRoofArea_BaseMesh2.PNG
d_FrRoofArea_TargetMesh.PNG
d_FrRoofArea_TargetMesh2.PNG
e_RearFenderBumper_BaseMesh.PNG
e_RearFenderBumper_TargetMesh.PNG
I think this is OK. The meshes are not that similar.
You need proove the origin of the mesh reference... If you take from another game, you can't use without permission from devs or modder. If you need help for design, i have a mercedes 190D, i can take some pictures Wink that's the same body than the E90 but not same engine ^^
Quote from NENE87 :You need proove the origin of the mesh reference... If you take from another game, you can't use without permission from devs or modder. If you need help for design, i have a mercedes 190D, i can take some pictures Wink that's the same body than the E90 but not same engine ^^

I see. Until Scawen's clarification, I honestly wasn't sure where the line was drawn, so figured I'd be extra safe and good to go if I place every vertex, but I guess not. And mind you, this is with a decent portion of my mesh not lining up with the original. But alas, I'm working on getting permission now (to use the original model as a 3d reference).

Also I really appreciate the offer on the pictures (I'm jealous of you! lol), it's just that, this might have been the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm definitely burnt out on car modeling at the moment (the shell portion especially). I've spent hundreds of hours on this.
Yes, i understand.Take a look on my RLT 74 mod or my FRAUD FESTINA wip threads, i can give you a photogrammetry of the mercedes, and after you can make your own topology Wink Do you use blender?With 250 pics you have acorrect mesh for building!
Oh my god what are you turning lfs modding into, banning ready-made models as an example... I mean, there are Chinese machines in the world that completely clone the original and no one complains, but in the game lfs forbid people with their own hands from scratch to make mods by taking something ready-made, well, let's say what prevents me from taking a photoscan and not a model from Assetto Corsa? it will be the same... How many good mods already deleted and rejected... The game should be developed and not cut off all opportunities for people to develop it... A lot of games that live off mods and lfs, on the contrary, is making their production more and more complicated every day...
There are no identifying marks on this model that it is a Mercedes. So legally it's not an original anyway, and it can be used anywhere. Carx Drift Racing works just like that, and no one has sued them yet, they have all the cars from life, just named differently and no logos, so stop killing the game.
Quote from Quored :... people with their own hands from scratch to make mods by taking something ready-made,

Tilt
Quote from Gutholz :Tilt

Taken out of context... that's not what I meant... why can't people take a dummy and make a car out of it? From the drawings you can do it from scratch, but you can't take a billet in the form of a body and remodel it from scratch? I saw posts on the forums where a man took what kind of car from the tab fashion and made it in lfs editor bmw e92 so he was questioned about why he took the base car and not made from scratch ... even though there was nothing left of that car... Don't you think this is bullshit?
-
(Quored) DELETED by Quored : yeah
Quote from Quored :Oh my god what are you turning lfs modding into, banning ready-made models as an example... I mean, there are Chinese machines in the world that completely clone the original and no one complains, but in the game lfs forbid people with their own hands from scratch to make mods by taking something ready-made, well, let's say what prevents me from taking a photoscan and not a model from Assetto Corsa? it will be the same... How many good mods already deleted and rejected... The game should be developed and not cut off all opportunities for people to develop it... A lot of games that live off mods and lfs, on the contrary, is making their production more and more complicated every day...
There are no identifying marks on this model that it is a Mercedes. So legally it's not an original anyway, and it can be used anywhere. Carx Drift Racing works just like that, and no one has sued them yet, they have all the cars from life, just named differently and no logos, so stop killing the game.

I'm told I need permission (which that rule was clarified like days before I went to publish the car) to use the model as a reference in this context. Just trying to play by the rules and not get the hammer.

I've since gotten permission for the widebody, roof, and front bumper from the guy who made those parts which I referenced (turns out they were additions). Still waiting to hear back from the makers of the base car (for the rest of it). This includes rear bumper, hood, skirts, and maybe the doors, but those are quite different I'd argue). Wondering if this is enough? Or do I need further written permission for those parts too?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG