The online racing simulator
R62 Panther - Plane/Glider Mod
I present to you something a bit different. A plane mod. Took quite a bit of testing with aero elements and weight, however it is coming to a point of being quite capable. When placed strategically the front and rear wings can indeed act as wings. In testing I have flown across blackwood. Lengthwise. HOWEVER, do note, this is with starting on a platform in the air, as currently afaik there is no way to attach aero elements to steering wheel or other user input, therefore currently this is what I have come up with - a glider. I'll let yall figure out what the inspiration was from the name. There are still quite a few details that need to be added, however I may upload it for testing as it is.

I have noticed it glides much further when the throttle is pinned, perhaps someone can comment on why that is?

Also if someone has experience with skinning hmu, it would be nice to get some skins on this.

Attached images
lfs_00000029.jpg
Update
updated the model, added glass, dashboard, colors.

Attached images
plane update.PNG
dashboard update
updated the dashbord
Attached images
dash.PNG
preview
fixed the passenger position - it's quite comical Big grin it doesn't quite fly with him on but it does make driving it a bit more fun.

mod is available to test here.
Attached images
lfs_00000051.jpg
This a great mod, thank you for stepping out of a comfort zone and trying a plane in LFS so we have more! Is there specific amount of fuel you would recommend using for a more stabilized flight?

Feedback: When I am trying to take off from a runway, it spins out many times even with traction controlled enabled. I can barely get past 3rd gear without spinning out before I take off from a runway in the air. Is there any way you get around this? It seems to do with the aero because it spins the plan around at the top of 3rd gear.

As for your comment, I am not sure why it flies further with 100% throttle the whole time but that is the same case for the other bi-plane that is in LFS currently. It flies much further with the throttle pinned and no steering.
Quote from shortay1325 :This a great mod, thank you for stepping out of a comfort zone and trying a plane in LFS so we have more! Is there specific amount of fuel you would recommend using for a more stabilized flight?

I'm glad you like it. From my testing its the drop off speed and launch angle (if flying from a platform/runway in the air) that has the most effect on the flyability. Also turn wind off, it only makes it worse. I can upload the launchpad layout I used on blackwood for testing, perhaps it will be easier to recreate on other maps then Wink The fuel tank is currently made to 15 litres so tbh it has quite minimal effect on flyability, however I do plan to add an update with a very large tank and make the engine slightly larger to be able to make a setup to just drive and not fly it, as I'm sure many people will download it now, try to take off, flip it and give me a poor rating haha, when in fact, this is again a glider plane, so taking off from the ground is not that easy, and therefore I recommend experimenting with platforms using the layout editor or going on "Just a ride" airspace spawn.

The idea is for the "drive" setup to be used in free roam servers so people can just drive and drift around in it, but also keep the flyability and have a setup which glides just as initially intended.
Quote from Benzinass :I have noticed it glides much further when the throttle is pinned, perhaps someone can comment on why that is?

I am not good enough lfs-pilot to notice an effect in flight distance.
But it might be related to engine "torque tilt" centrifugal forces? For example it is noticable in LX6 (light car, big engine) if you are in "N" and rev the engine, then the car tilts to the side.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG