The online racing simulator
Blue Flag Rules in the IGTC (Please Read!)
Hello drivers and managers,

After this most recent round, I've been dealing with complaints from both sides of the blue flag fence. On the one hand, I have complaints from drivers who feel abused by the lapping cars, and abused by the admins who penalized them for blocking under the blue flag. On the other hand, I have complaints from lapping drivers who feel that lapped cars are either unaware of the series' blue flag rules, or unwilling to accept the spirit of these rules.

I'm going to use this thread to attempt to set the record straight.

Many of you will remember the big debate that took place following Round 1 of the 2008 season at Blackwood. If you don't remember it, you can read it in its entirety here. The product of this debate was the Blue Flag section of the rules, which every driver should have read by now. Following this round, it has become clear to me that a large number of drivers have not read them. So, here they are, once again:

Quote :I. BLUE FLAGS
1) When being lapped, a driver is expected to drive a normal racing line and avoid erratic movements that may confuse lapping drivers. Under no circumstances should a driver being lapped slow excessively while entering or in the middle of a corner.
1.1) The lapped driver must yield position upon the first properly-presented overtaking maneuver by the lapping car. A properly-presented overtaking maneuver implies that the lapping driver is close behind the lapped driver, “shows a nose” to indicate his intentions, and follows through cleanly while leaving sufficient room for the lapped car.

1.2) A driver who has been successfully lapped must not attempt an immediate re-pass.

2) As the in-race running order is often incorrect, teams are expected to monitor the tracker and LFS Remote in order to provide their driver with information regarding the status of lapped or lapping cars. Ignorance of a lapping or lapped car’s position in the running order is not an acceptable excuse for blocking.

3) Lapped drivers must not defend against overtaking maneuvers presented by lapping cars. Any defensive maneuver will result in a DT penalty. A defensive maneuver resulting in contact will result in a SG penalty.

4) Lapping drivers must use caution when overtaking lapped cars. Over-aggressive or poorly-presentedovertaking attempts resulting in contact will result in a SG penalty as described in rule H5.

5) Teams found guilty of multiple instances of blocking in a single race may face points penalties, probation, or suspension, as may teams found guilty of multiple incidents resulting from a lack of respect for lapped cars.

These rules should be understandable by all drivers in the IGTC. If you do not understand them, please contact me via PM, AIM, IRC, or MSN, and I'll take the time to explain them to you.

They present what we believe to be a rational and workable procedure for lapping and being lapped. We are fully aware that in the heat of the moment, it can a) be hard to remember these rules in their entirety, and b) difficult to apply them to your specific situation. Therefore, patience is required of both the drivers doing the lapping and those being lapped.

This past round at South City Long was an especially tough test of these rules, because of the nature of the track. Lapping cars that are relatively similar in speed is already difficult at wide open tracks like Aston, due to the aero understeer effect present in LFS's physics model. At South City, the track's close confines make it difficult to lap even cars that are significantly off your pace. A much slower car can stay ahead of a faster car for laps at a time without actively trying to keep it behind.

As a result, SO4 calls for a higher degree of co-operation between lapping cars and the lapped. Frankly, we didn't see that level of co-operation during the race. Part of this is due to lapped drivers who clung onto the letter of the rule (i.e., "they never made a worthy passing attempt!") while ignoring the rule's spirit (that the lapped driver should not unnecessarily impede a significantly faster driver, and that in most cases it'd save both cars time to let the faster driver go). Part of it is also due to the impatience of lapping drivers, who believe the track to be theirs at all times, while ignoring the fact that lapped drivers are engaged in races of their own.

I can only hope that we see a higher degree of co-operation between both elements of the blue flag equation at Aston North. The rules will not change, but we hope that the drivers' comprehension of them will.

Thanks,
IGTC Admin Team
My only problem with the rules comes with the wording of 1.1 and 1.2. With 1.1, there is a serious grey-area between a "properly-presented overtaking maneuver" and "showing the nose". I was penalised at South City because I failed to yield to a driver who was apparently "showing the nose". The problem with that was that he was showing it so late that 1) half the time I didn't notice because I'd already begun to turn in, and 2) If I'd got out of his way at that point I'd have had to pretty much drive a line that would send be straight to the wall. I looked in my mirrors every time I came onto a straight and he was too far back for me to back off and let him through without losing serious amounts of time, so I surmised that he wasn't that much quicker than me and should wait until he could set up a decent move (after he passed me it turned out I was right, he wasn't that much quicker, but I got a penalty anyway).
My problem with 1.2 is that it really isn't practical. I had another incident where a lapping car hit me on the way through, then entered the next corner quite slowly. I assumed he had been damaged in the crash so I passed him and received another penalty. Clearly there are situations when that rule can't be applied.
Quote from Scott_Michaels :My only problem with the rules comes with the wording of 1.1 and 1.2. With 1.1, there is a serious grey-area between a "properly-presented overtaking maneuver" and "showing the nose". I was penalised at South City because I failed to yield to a driver who was apparently "showing the nose". The problem with that was that he was showing it so late that 1) half the time I didn't notice because I'd already begun to turn in, and 2) If I'd got out of his way at that point I'd have had to pretty much drive a line that would send be straight to the wall. I looked in my mirrors every time I came onto a straight and he was too far back for me to back off and let him through without losing serious amounts of time, so I surmised that he wasn't that much quicker than me and should wait until he could set up a decent move (after he passed me it turned out I was right, he wasn't that much quicker, but I got a penalty anyway).

This is exactly the problem.

A lapped car sees a lapping car in the mirror, sees that he's unable to mount a proper challenge, and assumes that it's nothing to worry about. The fact of the matter is that if a driver is quick enough to get around an entire lap, catch up to you, and get on your bumper, then you need to be looking for a convenient place to let him by. The fact that he can't mount a proper challenge (especially at a place like SO4) is likely largely down to the effect that your slower pace and your aero wake are having on his cornering. While this somewhat puts the onus on him to properly time his pass, the responsibility for the transaction going smoothly is not his alone. The rules are written the way they are so that the lapped car doesn't have to pull over and go out of his way to let the lapping car by, but that doesn't mean he has license to hold up the lapping car indefinitely.

Quote :My problem with 1.2 is that it really isn't practical. I had another incident where a lapping car hit me on the way through, then entered the next corner quite slowly. I assumed he had been damaged in the crash so I passed him and received another penalty. Clearly there are situations when that rule can't be applied.

As we've established via PM, our interpretations of this incident differ drastically. I'll say no more here, except that the rule is clear as written, and should be followed unless there's absolutely no doubt as to the lapping car's inability to maintain race pace.
TBH, I don't understand why certin teams and drivers didn't move when I was flashing lights (even honking sometimes). I was like 0.2-0.5 faster per lap then them, and it was impossible to put passing maneuver on.

And BTW. It's much easier for lapping car to pass you on straight then taking a wide line in corner. Also you loose less time and he too. Also, IRL racing it's common thing to see lapped car taking inside line in brake zone for corner, but that doesn't mean that he is defending a pass, he brakes more and leaves race line clear for corner.
I have to agree on all of it. Way too many people did not respect the blue flag and serveral of secs. were lost. Of course it isn't possible to overtake all whitout sometimes losing a second or two, but driving behind a lapped driver for 3 laps for finally finding a little chance outbreak him is just too much IMO.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :2) As the in-race running order is often incorrect, teams are expected to monitor the tracker and LFS Remote in order to provide their driver with information regarding the status of lapped or lapping cars. Ignorance of a lapping or lapped car’s position in the running order is not an acceptable excuse for blocking.

After our timeout 1½ hour through the race we definitely felt how much this rule wasn't observed. When people don't see any blue flag they don't want to let you by and every overtaking was a hard battle, mostly ending up with a very late breaking manoeuvre.
That really costs much in the long run, both for the lapping car and the lapped car.

At some point I don't understand some drivers. When you see a car comming close up to you before you even can count to 5, why then battle it and lose seconds, instead of just let him by?

As the rules recommends you really should have at non-driving person or a waiting driver to constantly follow the tracker and inform your racing teammates who is in front and behind you.

Finally I'll just bring a "thanks" to these drivers few drivers this round who really were friendly to let us/me by - without any big problems.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :This is exactly the problem.

A lapped car sees a lapping car in the mirror, sees that he's unable to mount a proper challenge, and assumes that it's nothing to worry about. The fact of the matter is that if a driver is quick enough to get around an entire lap, catch up to you, and get on your bumper, then you need to be looking for a convenient place to let him by.

In an endurance race thats not always true. I got my first (blue flag related) drive-through having just taken over from my slower teammate, AND having just served a drive-through for speeding. So I was probably almost 2 laps out of position at that point. Not trying to make this all about me, but thats an example about how "blue flags" aren't always black and white (no pun intended ).
Quote from N I K I :TBH, I don't understand why certin teams and drivers didn't move when I was flashing lights (even honking sometimes). I was like 0.2-0.5 faster per lap then them, and it was impossible to put passing maneuver on.

For the record, we're fine with flashing lights, but honking is, IMO, pretty rude and should be discouraged.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :For the record, we're fine with flashing lights, but honking is, IMO, pretty rude and should be discouraged.

I agree, i used it only few times in very extreme situations, as the race was extreme too
Quote from N I K I :I agree, i used it only few times in very extreme situations, as the race was extreme too

i know you gave me the damn headlights.. you really cant overtake anywhere except the back straight and home straight/t1/t2..

everywhere else is too tight ans twisty...
Quote from BreadC :i know you gave me the damn headlights.. you really cant overtake anywhere except the back straight and home straight/t1/t2..

everywhere else is too tight ans twisty...

Mate, you were one and only one fair about those BF. You staid in front of me for as long as we've been on same pace, and then i gave you light signals and you respected them. But it's not about you. For example the guy just in front of you in FXR (no idea what team he is) ignored it totally. And many others... I remember 3id not letting me go at end of stint, that's mainly why i posted about this lights ignorance thing.

In conclusion: If someone gives light flashes, and you are getting Blue flag over your whole screen, that means he's desperate to lap you.
Quote from N I K I :I remember 3id not letting me go at end of stint, that's mainly why i posted about this lights ignorance thing.

Ehem - you caught up to Dave once, and thats when he himself got held back by another backmarker. This was during end/beginning of first/second sector, where overtaking is a risky business, unless the backmarker yields completely (what others would refer to as rolling over) - however, you barely got close enough before he was able to take off again.

Other than that he was pulling away from you - both before and after that.

Please check replay before posts like that
I didn't save replay :o

As far as i remember I was pretty pissed off by the fact that he didn't let me go in first few minutes and later just got into stupid zone where i couldnt focus up and close the gap totally down

Anyways bout postin then sorry 3id.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG