The online racing simulator
#1 - Dac
OLFSL event 7 advice
this will be my first race in any series. i usually just use redline or conedodgers. i need a bit of advice.

i have chosen the FZR however the best time i can do is 2:48. what kind of place could i expect to be with this kind of time?

also is there anything specifically yous could suggest i do to improve this time. im using a set from the linked setup site.

my plan is to fuel for 19 laps and do a pitstop on lap 17 or 18 using R4 tyres ofcourse. is this a good strategy?

my goal is to finish the race not last.

thanks,
You can check the progress of qualifying on the OLFSL website, by selecting Race Weekend, and then Qualifying.

A 2:48 time looks like Pool 5/6 (last pool) to me (I had one trial run and did a high 2:46 in FZR).

Solar Hydro
this is also my first time racing here. I just do a few laps and not really fast. My goal in qual is not be in the last pool, and i haven't dicide my pitstop. It will depend on whe place i got in qual.
My first race here too, have to say everything seems a bit unorganised, didn't get any email telling me the server password or anything, website needs some sort of forum etc.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :My first race here too, have to say everything seems a bit unorganised, didn't get any email telling me the server password or anything, website needs some sort of forum etc.

Hmm... sorry for the length of this but sounds like it needs explained.

To be brutally honest, this is one of the best organised leagues I've ever seen (whether on LFS or other "games"). The amout of work behind the scenes is amazing (the way the server works for qualifying and racing) which I've not seen on other leagues.

Passwords are all listed, there isn't an email that goes out. All you need to do is go to lfs-league.com and log in, then under either "Qualifying" or "Race Weekend" (on the left at the bottom) you can get all the information you need. Also see the Passwords section because you'll need that too.

Also it is very important that you look at the top right, at time I write this message there is only 3 days, 10 hours in which to get your qualifying lap in (which you need to do online by joining the qualifying server with the appropriate password).

If you're new to this league, make sure well in advance you know what you're doing and make sure you 1) put your qualy lap in, 2) turn up early for the race. VERY IMPORTANT that you qualify in time, otherwise you won't be racing. Some of us have fallen foul of this

Its worth mentioning that you will qualify and be put into a set of different "pools" depending on your time. The "pools" will race at different times and you'll be shown this when you log into the website - grids are published usually a couple of days prior to the event.

The forum for the league ... well, you're reading it. It isn't on the lfs-leage site, its here.

Oh, and try not to fall asleep like I did before the last race and missed the whole thing (I'm still kicking myself now)...
Quote from Fabio Maximus :My goal in qual is not be in the last pool,

Thats always my goal Only managed not to be in the last pool a small number of times, these guys in the upper pools are incredibly quick. Like proper record-setters.

About qualifying - you might think that you can drive slower in qualy in order to get a lower pool or a poor grid slot and then work your way up the field. Not only is this more risky but you get more points for finishing when you're in higher pools. So it does pay to drive the pace you're capable of.
Thanks, no doubt it probably is a very well organsied league but i do feel a lack of communication, e.g. i registered but im still not on the participants list and no nationality flag next to my name. A forum would be a very good addition to the website IMO.

I threw a lap in the other day only because scipy was on there and he gave me the password, so thats covered, i'll return with a much faster lap after ive done some practicing on another server.
Ah I understand, perhaps the admins are a bit slow doing that because you're a latecomer and they are busy with other things (ie. they've already done the push on flags etc at the start of the league). Just guessing though... it might be worth a very polite email to them

I also found that there was a little bit of a learning curve just to find where everything is here. But a good look around the lfs-league site is in order for you. As for the email notifications, not everyone in this (very large) league races every time and so its better for the people who are racing to find out for themselves. A smaller league I was in DID get email notification, but its just the way that was done.
I have raced in a few leagues before but none quite like this, had a scan through the website before i signed up but it seemed everything i pressed just made me go onto the news page, all i found out was about the Pools.

Anyway if i can make it, i look forward to it
Pearcy first you should log into the lfs-league page, then as horrgakx says, the Race Weekend link has all the info you'll need - I think the flag thing is automatic, you need to click on your lfs-league profile button after logging in and then choose your country. Then read through are rules section and generally, keep checking for news on the main section of the page, the grid announcements and stuff are always posted there.
Done all that, signed up, put my team and country in with no response so was wondering what happened.
Ah I see - well our master S.Varjonen must have to do it manually - I'll point him towards this thread.
Firstly, I have been out and very busy lately, so thanks JR for pointing me to this thread.

Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Done all that, signed up, put my team and country in with no response so was wondering what happened.

Let me know your membership number and your team name and I will check them out for you.

Quote from horrgakx :
To be brutally honest, this is one of the best organised leagues I've ever seen (whether on LFS or other "games"). The amout of work behind the scenes is amazing (the way the server works for qualifying and racing) which I've not seen on other leagues.

As always, thanks horrgakx - we do try our best.

Quote from Fabio Maximus :this is also my first time racing here. I just do a few laps and not really fast. My goal in qual is not be in the last pool, and i haven't dicide my pitstop. It will depend on whe place i got in qual.

Good luck Fabio - good to have you onboard!

Quote from Dac :this will be my first race in any series. i usually just use redline or conedodgers. i need a bit of advice.

i have chosen the FZR however the best time i can do is 2:48. what kind of place could i expect to be with this kind of time?

also is there anything specifically yous could suggest i do to improve this time. im using a set from the linked setup site.

my plan is to fuel for 19 laps and do a pitstop on lap 17 or 18 using R4 tyres ofcourse. is this a good strategy?

my goal is to finish the race not last.

thanks,

Hi Dac,

Firstly, welcome onboard.
These are all questions that I ask myself every time a new event comes near. You never know what Pool you will be in until our illustrious leader makes the grids - and this is a manual process which does not lend itself well to programming/automation, so the split of Pools is never clear until it is done.
As for the strategy, it all depends upon how long your tires last and if you are quick with a car whose tyres can last or do you go quicker and hope your tyres dont degrade too much - and then after all that you watch the Pool 1 guys and their tyres stay perfectly warm all through the race and they only stop for milliseconds because they do not need to repair or change tyres. I really don't get it at all most of the time!

Anyway, back on topic. Everything you need to know about the league is on the site. I admit that the rules do need some editing and clearing up here and there, but the general core is good and worth a read.

Regards
Tim (OLFSL Results/Points manager)
Still on the subject of advice.

I'm taking the FZR (can't drive the XRR, its way too unstable for me). But I'm REALLY struggling with tyres. On my qualifying outlap I used R3's and I'm not pushing that hard but the tyre temp is turning yellow by the time I'm on the back straight. At the end of the recorded lap 1 they're in the red.

Any advice on this please? I can imagine in the race its going to be like driving on ice with melted tyres
R4's dont cut it, they don't really get warmed through and then all of a sudden they turn black.

So somehow I have to get more out of the R3's.
#15 - Dac
Quote from horrgakx :Still on the subject of advice.

I'm taking the FZR (can't drive the XRR, its way too unstable for me). But I'm REALLY struggling with tyres. On my qualifying outlap I used R3's and I'm not pushing that hard but the tyre temp is turning yellow by the time I'm on the back straight. At the end of the recorded lap 1 they're in the red.

Any advice on this please? I can imagine in the race its going to be like driving on ice with melted tyres
R4's dont cut it, they don't really get warmed through and then all of a sudden they turn black.

So somehow I have to get more out of the R3's.

you should be able to get way more than that out of them. ive done 4 laps no bother.

have you got a reply of your driving? are the tyres screeching and leaving black marks on the hairpins? that could be the problem.
And dont drift. Drifting around makes the tires die really fast
I think I have an issue with the setup then, perhaps its a qualy set... it seems it understeers like a pig normally but I found that lifting off into a corner will throw the rear round into the corner which is much quicker but it eats the tyres after 2 laps.

I think I need a race setup (FZR). Is anyone kind enough to send to lfs[at]mivec.co.uk? I mean, I'm gonna be well down and not a threat
#18 - Dac
im on row 2 of pool 4. hopefully that will give me a good chance of not coming last!
i am the 3rd in pool 3, just have my goal. But i am not sure about my network in the race. Ihope i won't disconnection and finish the race
Woo! Last on pool 1! If I could pick a slot that would be it. Lots of action
have a crash on T1. I don't think it's mostly my wrong, I Have to change the line but someone didn't noticed that. And i push hard but lost connection after my last pit(i have pitted to repair my car before) on lap 24.
#22 - Dac
i got to lap 26, had just pitted and was in 3rd place and closing down on the race leaders. then i lost connection

i was very much in contention for that i could feel it.

OLFSL event 7 advice
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG